Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #08
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 10:31:04 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Tuesday,  4 Apr 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 08
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                       Troff to LaTeX converter
                       Re: Lucida Bright Fonts
                            tex for atari
                           Czech characters
                           METAPOST for DOS
                   Re: new distribution of 4alltex
                          Long subfigures...
   ANNOUNCE: EuroTeX'95 Conference ANNOUNCE: EuroTeX'95 Conference
 CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS Job vacancy for TeX programmer / operator

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:52:03 -0800
From:    [email-masked] (Phil Farrell)
Subject: Troff to LaTeX converter

In TeXhax Digest 95:05, Larry Wos <[email-masked]> asked:
> Do you know of any program that will take troff source and
> return the equilanet TeX source?
> I am als interested in the converse.
> Indeed, I have some TeX source (paers) and sme in troff,
> and wish to convert each.  Thanks in advance.  LW

One of our former students created a troff-to-LaTeX translator called
tr2tex.  This dates from 1987, and so should be compatible with any 
variety of LaTeX around.  It has support for some, but not all, of the
standard troff macro packages.  You can pick up a copy via anonymous ftp
to pangea.stanford.edu, in pub/textools.tar or /pub/textools.tar.Z
(UNIX compress).  This package also contains some latex syntax checking
tools.

- -Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager
Stanford University School of Earth Sciences
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 24 Mar 1995 11:06:43 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Berthold K.P. Horn)
Subject: Re: Lucida Bright Fonts

> From:    Kieran Parsons <[email-masked]>

> Does anyone know of a UK supplier of Lucida Bright and Lucida Math fonts? 
 
> (or if not, any supplier at all!)
 
The LucidaBright + LucidaNewMath font set and the LucidaBrightExpert font
set are available from Y&Y.  They also carry other fonts sets in commercial
grade, fully hinted, ATM compatible Adobe Type 1 format, such as MathTime,
CM, AMS, extra LaTeX + SliTeX fonts etc. 

You can contact them at [email-masked]
Or check out their World Wide Web page at http://www.YandY.com

DISCLAIMER: respondent has connections with Y&Y.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 29 Mar 1995 12:15:40 -1100
From:    Jalaluddin Abdullah <[email-masked]>
Subject: tex for atari

Do you know where I can obtain a current version of TeX for the ATARI?
At the moment I'm running an old version of the German TeX. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 30 Mar 1995 06:22:53 +0200
From:    Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
Subject: Czech characters

Could anyone tell me where I could find a macro for producing 
u with a small circle on top?
Many thanks in advance.
A. Heck ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 30 Mar 1995 09:50:49 +0000
From:    Bill Peel <[email-masked]>
Subject: METAPOST for DOS

Does anyone know if Metapost for DOS has been released yet. I looked 
on CTAN recently but only found what appeared to be the sources for a 
Unix version.

Thanks

        Bill Peel

Bill Peel         |  Computing Services
[email-masked]  |  Manchester Metropolitan University
                  |  Chester Street
                  |  Manchester M1 5GD
                  |  England

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 30 Mar 1995 15:20:16 +0100
From:    "R. Allan Reese" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: new distribution of 4alltex

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Phons Bloemen wrote:

> There is a new release: ftp.urc.tue.nl:/pub/tex/4alltex
>  With installation program.
>  
> Phons

I just went searching for the update.  It isn't on the UK CTAN which
appears to have directories DISK01 to DISK30 dated March 94.  I noticed
the update has directories with new names, so it wasn't clear whether
the TUE directories are a complete installation or a set of replacements
of additions to the 1-30 directories.  I guess the TUE set is complete.

I haven't managed to fetch the set of directories from TUE yet. If
fetching from CTAN you can get a whole package by a single command

   get XXXX.zip  or XXXX.tar

and the archive combines all the files and subdirectories as a single
transfer.  From TUE I can do

   mget *

but this fetches only one directory and copies into the current directory.
So to get the package I have to manually create the directory structure
here and climb round the directories here and at TUE, then mget within
each directory.  Surely I am missing some simple trick?

(R.) Allan Reese                       Email: [email-masked]
Head of Applications, Computer Centre  Direct voice:    +44 482 465296 
Hull University                        Voice messages:  +44 482 465685
Hull HU6 7RX,  U.K.                    Fax:             +44 482 466441

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 03 Apr 1995 11:37:23 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Long subfigures...

Hi,
I am trying to incorporate a figure which has three subfigures into a 
piece of LaTex. The problem is that the subfigures are quite large, and as
a consequence the figure need to spread over more than one page. Is there
a facility in LaTex2e for doing this, in much the same way that one can 
spread a long table over more than one page.
Thanks,
Kate Isaak

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:52:12 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Piet van Oostrum)
Subject: ANNOUNCE: EuroTeX'95 Conference ANNOUNCE: EuroTeX'95 Conference

The EuroTeX conference 1995, including tutorials, will take place from

                       September 4th until September 8th

in the Netherlands. The conference will be held at Papendal, near the city of
Arnhem.

Papendal is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the Netherlands.
Right in the middle of the vast woods of the province of Gelderland. About
eight kilometers west of Arnhem. Tucked away under the lee of the green
Veluwe-fringe.

The conference starts on September 4th in the afternoon and runs until
September 7th noon.
Thursday afternoon and Friday September 8th are reserved for courses and/or
tutorials.

The theme of the conference is:

                             The TeX Toolbox

Wherever we talk about `TeX' we mean TeX and a format, such as plain, LaTeX,
AMSTeX, etc.

We would like to have talks that deal with topics such as:

   * the integration of TeX in the working environment, or using TeX in full
     (bidirectional) co-operation with all kinds of other applications;
   * conversion to and from TeX;
   * dissemination of typeset material (PostScript, Acrobat);
   * importing text and/or data from other applications (spreadsheets,
     databases) into TeX documents;
   * how to add value to documents by using TeX, so that they can not only be
     easily typeset, but can also be turned into `active' hyperdocuments, by
     translating them into SGML/HTML or Acrobat, or be used as data for
     database searches;
   * multi-discipline, multi-language aspects of TeX;
   * `novel' uses of TeX such as bi/multi-lingual translations/dictionaries,
     legal texts, poetry,...

We would also like to offer courses and/or tutorials on any of the following
topics:

   * introduction to using LaTeX;
   * LaTeX for package and class file writers;
   * Making PostScript (Truetype) fonts available for use in TeX documents;
   * database publishing with (La)TeX;
   * (La)TeX and hypertexts, HTML, SGML, hyperTeX.

If you feel qualified to teach one of these subjects or think other topics
should be covered, please send us your proposal.

Please notice the following (preliminary) deadlines:

April 10th  : date when abstracts should be received
April 20th  : date to tell authors their abstract has been accepted/rejected
May 15th    : date to receive full papers (using LaTeX or EuroTeX style)
June 15th   : date the reviews should be finished
June 25th   : date to receive the final paper

Your abstracts and proposals can be sent to [email-masked]

If you have no access to e-mail you can send your contribution to:

     EuroTeX'95 program committee
     Kooienswater 62
     2715 AJ Zoetermeer
     The Netherlands

In such a case we would ask you to submit your paper in electronic form on a
(MS-DOS compatible) floppy disk.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
For additional information you may e-mail to [email-masked].
Up-to-date information can also be found at the URL:
   http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet/eurotex/

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:51:12 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Rod Mulvey)
Subject: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS Job vacancy for TeX programmer / operator

CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS

Job vacancy for TeX programmer / operator

Expansion of typesetting and text-processing services at Cambridge has
created one (or possibly two) immediate vacancies in our Technical 
Applications Group. The job involves mathematical typesetting using TeX 
and LaTeX for academic journals and books. Some knowledge of TeX and/or 
LaTeX is required and willingness to work in a busy production 
environment is essential. Previous experience of book or journal 
typesetting would be an advantage. 

Extensive in-house training will be given in the methods and systems we use.

Benefits include:
        o 37.5 hour week, Monday to Friday
        o 26 days annual holiday
        o First class pension scheme
        o Press Restaurant
        o Sports and Social Centre
        o Free car parking on-site
        o Non-smoking environment.

Our retirement age is 60 for both men and women.

If you are interested in the above position please request an application 
form by

        e-mail to [email-masked] giving your postal address 

or 

        telephone to Janet Mills, Personnel Assistant, on (01223) 325036 
        (24 hour answering service.)

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 8]
****************************************