Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #01
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 1995 10:59:50 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Monday,  9 Jan 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 01
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
            Re: Questions about previewers and dvi drivers
          Re: MS-DOS DVI driver for Olivetti inkjet printer?
                   DVI driver for EPSON STYLUS 800
               Distinguishing between LaTeX 2.09 and 2e
                      Grammar Checker for LaTeX?
                  CTAN management problems (uploads)
                 new release of NTG document classes
   Announcement of the 1995 Donald E. Knuth Scholarship competition

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 1994 08:07:46 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Berthold K.P. Horn)
Subject: Re: Questions about previewers and dvi drivers

> Imperial Software Technology is developing a tool which 
> generates hardcopy using LaTeX and included PostScript.  
> Naturally we would like this output to work on as many TeX 
> systems as possible, so I would be grateful for answers to 
> a few questions.  

 * What are the commonly used previewers and dvi drivers we should 
   aim to support?  

What platform?  

On Mac the best is Textures from Blue Sky Research.
There is also Oz TeX from Andrew Trevorrow. And maybe a couple of others.

On IBM PC/Windows the best is the Y&Y TeX system.
There is also PC-TeX for Windows and Kinch's TrueTeX.
And several public domain versions including emTeX.

 * Do any of these programs not support either the "psfile=" or 
   "header=" specials?  

All drivers use their own syntax for garphics inclusion etc.
The exception is Y&Y TeX which instead supports 12 of the most
popular syntax used by other drivers.  This includes psfile=
and header= (and lots of others).

 * Is the LaTeX2e "graphics" package going to become the standard graphics 
   interface?  Will other packages support its syntax for compatibility?  

Customization files for the LaTeX 2e graphics package are now available for
many drivers.  But many people do not use LaTeX (its too restrictive and
too hard to use non-CM fonts).

 * According to the manual page, xdvi does not "as yet" support "header=" 
   specials.  Will it?  If so, how soon?  

Oh, You are Unix specific?

 * What (if any) are the significant differences between xdvi and xdvik? 
   dvips and dvipsk?  

Oh, You are Unix specific?

Regards, Berthold.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Dec 1994 10:36:21 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Lee Wittenberg)
Subject: Re: MS-DOS DVI driver for Olivetti inkjet printer?

> A question: Does anyone know of a  MSDOS dvi-driver for ink-injection 
> printer. I have an Olivetti 250JP - (emulation of HP DeskJet Plus).
> Thanks for any information.

The emTeX documention claims HP DeskJet+ support (and I believe that
it probably does).  According to the docs, the command 

        prthplj /od

does the job.

                -- Lee

Lee Wittenberg              | Committees know their own business best,
Computer Science Department | and there is no reason why a senior
Kean College of New Jersey  | minister should not be an ill-informed
Union, NJ   07083           | idiot; such things have been known.
USA                         | 
                            | -- George MacDonald Fraser
[email-masked]         |  "Flashman & the Angel of the Lord" (1994)

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:32:04 -0100
From:    Jacek Uryga <[email-masked]>
Subject: DVI driver for EPSON STYLUS 800

Does somebody know if there exists a public domain dvi driver
and pk-fonts for inkjet printer EPSON STYLUS 800?

The standard dvi drivers for 24-pin printers work with 240DPI
bitmap fonts, but STYLUS can print with resolution of 300DPI...

Jacek Uryga, Silesian University in Katowice

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 03 Jan 1995 09:16:35 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Adrian Clark)
Subject: Distinguishing between LaTeX 2.09 and 2e

[[ Dave,

Happy new year.  The attached message is really intended for the new
TeXhax/UKTeX; but replying to a digest sends a message to
[email-masked]' which of course no longer exists -- and the digest
does not appear to advertize the email address for contributions! ]]

I'm putting together a LaTeX style file that needs to work with both
\documentstyle and \documentclass, only using the nice new 2e
style-file contruction commands when the author started his or her
document with \documentclass.  Is there an accepted way of doing this?
Things like \ifx\documentclass obviously won't work 'cos it is defined
when running in compatibility mode.

Many thanks in advance.

..Adrian

- --- 
 Dr Adrian F Clark  <[email-masked]>
 PHONE: (+44) 206-872432 (direct)    FAX: (+44) 206-872900
 Dept ESE, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, C04 3SQ, UK.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 05 Jan 1995 10:55:59 +0000
From:    "Helen Clinch, Cranfield Computer Centre" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Grammar Checker for LaTeX?

Does anyone know whether there is a grammar checker available which can be used
with LaTeX on unix?

Thanks in advance,

Helen Clinch
Computer Centre
Cranfield University
(Email [email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:38:38 +0000
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: CTAN management problems (uploads)

In the recent past, it has become apparent that the canonical address
for notifying uploads ([email-masked]) is not working.

For the time being, therefore, the CTAN management request that you
notify [email-masked] of any uploads.  If you have made an upload in
the recent past and it hasn't appeared on the archives, please re-send
notification of your upload to [email-masked]

I have changed the README.uploads file on ftp.tex.ac.uk to reflect
this change, and have agreed with Rainer Shoepf that he will do the
same for ftp.dante.de and ftp.shsu.edu.

We hope that the problem will not persist, and we will change the
READMEs back again and will announce again in these forums when
service is restored to its usual state.

R

Robin (Campaign for the Third Programme) Fairbairns  [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 31 Dec 1994 16:46:07 +0100
From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: new release of NTG document classes

        A new release of the NTG document classes (artikell{1,2,3},
        rapport{1,3}, boek, boek3 and brief} has been made available
        on CTAN (and [email-masked]). This release is
        compatible with LaTeX [1994/12/01].

        Johannes Braams

PTT Telecom,                            P.O. box 30150,
2500 GD 's Gravenhage                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3432037               E-mail : [email-masked]
Fax      : +31 70 3432395

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 06 Jan 1995 09:34:27 +0100
From:    "Nico A. F. M. Poppelier" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Announcement of the 1995 Donald E. Knuth Scholarship competition

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Announcement of the 1995 Donald E. Knuth Scholarship competition

TUG, the TeX Users Group, makes available one Knuth Scholarship for
award in 1995. The competition will be open to all TeX users holding
support positions that are secretarial, clerical or editorial in
nature. It is therefore not intended for those with a substantial
training in technical, scientific or mathematical subjects and, in
particular, it is not open to anyone holding, or studying for, a
degree with a major or concentration in these areas.

The award will consist of an expense-paid trip to the 1995 TUG Annual
Meeting at St. Petersburg, Florida, and to the Scholar's choice from the
short courses offered in conjunction with that meeting; and TUG
membership for 1995, if the Scholar is not a TUG member, or for 1996, if
the Scholar is already a TUG member.  A cap of $2000 has been set for the
award; however, this does not include the meeting or course registration
fee, which will be waived.

To enter the competition, applicants should submit to the Scholarship
Committee, by the deadline specified below, the input file and final TeX
output of a project that displays originality, knowledge of TeX, and good
TeXnique.

The full announcement will be printed in TUGboat 15 #3; it will also
be posted to CTAN, in tex-archive/usergrps/tug/scholar.*.
A brochure with additional information is available from the TUG
office. To obtain a copy, or to request instructions on e-mail
submission, write to the address at the end of this announcement, or
send a message by e-mail to [email-masked] with the subject ``Knuth
Scholarship request''.

Schedule

The following schedule will apply (all dates are in 1995):

7 April            Deadline for receipt of submissions
21 April--2 June   Judging period
9 June             Notification of winner
24--28 July        1995 Annual Meeting, St. Petersburg, Florida

Where to write

All applications should be submitted to the Committee in care of the
TUG office:

    TeX Users Group
    Attn: Knuth Scholarship Competition
    P.O. Box 869
    Santa Barbara, CA 93102 USA
    e-mail:  [email-masked]

         Nico Poppelier
         Liaison to the Donald E. Knuth Scholarship Committee

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Nico A.F.M. Poppelier
Elsevier Science Publishers, APD, Information Technology Development
Molenwerf 1, 1014 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-20-4853482. Fax: +31-20-4853706. Email: [email-masked]

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 1]
****************************************