Subject: TeXhax Digest V94 #09
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 15:10:21 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Tuesday, 18 Oct 1994  Volume 94 : Issue 09

Today's Topics:
                            installing tex
                             Underlining
                    changing \hsize at page-break?
                   List processing TeX macro needed
                        Page layout in LaTeX?
                     Help needed to convert fonts
    [sci.geo.meteorology] latex style for AMS conference preprints
           [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCE CmacTeX2.2 (Macintosh)
                  New version of greektex available
     kpathsea 2.2, dvipsk 5.58b, xdvik 18c, dviljk 2.2 available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 1994 16:06:06 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: installing tex

I would like to install tex on my machine by
doing an ftp transfer from labrea.stanford.edu

There lots of files on labrea under the tex directory.
I don't know which files I would need to be able to run
latex on my machine which is a sparc running Unix.

I would appreaciate any help regarding the installation
of latex on my machine.

Mario

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:11:21 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Underlining

Last month, I requested help in locating/finding a macro that would:
1) underline words, but not the intervening spaces;
2) permit line breaks to occur while underlining.

I received about a dozen responses, every one different. Many of them 
were interesting and taught me things I did not know. However, only 
one response was completely on point. My vote for TeXnician of the 
month therefore goes to Jim Nearing ([email-masked])
for the following clever and concise pair of macros:

% This underlining macro is implemented by tail recursion.  
% If the terminal character is not found, it executes the desired
% process and \let's \next equal itself.  It then calls \next.  
% If the terminal token is found, it \let's \next equal \relax 
% before calling \next.
% The first word is handled separately.
%
% Usage:  \ul{whatever you like, it will continue the underlining
%             even across line breaks}.
%
\newif\iffirstul

\def\ullspecial#1 {\ifx\empty#1 \let\next=\relax \else
    \iffirstul\firstulfalse\else%
    \discretionary{}{}{\hbox{\ }}\fi%
    \underbar{#1}\let\next=\ullspecial\fi \next}

\def\ul#1{\firstultrue\ullspecial#1 \empty }

The only thing to watch out for is that it does require that the 
values of hyphenpenalty and exhyphenpenalty be sufficiently low to 
permit line breaks to occur. If you desire to suppress hyphenated 
line breaking, then the value should be set to some reasonably high 
value, but not an impossibly high one. He suggests 1000 (as opposed 
to the 10000 usually used to ban such breaking), and I have found 
that that works well. Alternatively, one could simply alter the value 
of these variables for the paragraph in which the underlined text 
occurs. For most people, who desire the ordinary hyphenated line 
breaking rules, the macro works wonderfully as it stands.

Thank you again, Jim!

Doc Evans NQ0I / G4AMJ : [email-masked]
                         [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 07 Oct 1994 08:23:54 -0330
From:    MOHAMMAD GHODSI <[email-masked]>
Subject: changing \hsize at page-break?

Dear Friends,
I would like to typeset a long paragraph that goes into the next
page so that each page has different \hsize. How could I change
\hsize at the page break?

Thanks.

 +----------------------------------------------------------------+
 | Mohammad Ghodsi, Assistant  Prof.             (o               |
 | Computer  Engineering  Department            (o ^ )            | 
 | Sharif  University of  Technology         [email-masked] |
 | P.O. Box 11365-9517, Tehran, Iran         Fax: +98 21 601-2983 |  
 +----------------------------------------------------------------+  

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 07 Oct 1994 13:07:40 +0100
From:    Bo Thide' <[email-masked]>
Subject: List processing TeX macro needed

I am looking for a short and efficient soultion for the following
problem:

>From a list of names, each delimited by a delimiter \mydelim, I want to
produce two "name boxes" to be used as output.  In the case of three or
more names I want one long where all \delim's are replaced by a ','
except for the last one which should be replaced by '{\rm and}', and one
short with the first name followed by '{\it et al}.'.

========================================================================

Example 1:

The list

First A. Familyx \delim First B. Familyy \delim First C. Familyz 

shall be translated into 

First A. Familyx, First B. Familyy {\rm and} First C. Familyz 

and to

First A. Familyx {\it et al}.

========================================================================

Example 2:

The list

First A. Familyx \delim First B. Familyy

shall be translated into 

First A. Familyx {\rm and} First B. Familyy 

both for the long and short output.

========================================================================

In a way this is similar to what 'bibtex' handles so elegantly for
author lists.  I thought this would be rather trivial in TeX, but
several days of studies of Knuth and von Bechtolsheim has not lead me
anywhere.

I need to solve this problem quickly and would appreciate any help
or hints that you might have.

Bo

    ^   ---Bo Thidi-----------------------------------Scientific Director---
   |I|     Swedish Institute of Space Physics,  S-755 91 Uppsala,  Sweden
   |R|     Office Phone: (+46) 18-30 36 71  Office Fax: (+46) 18-40 31 00 
  /|F|\    Home Phone:   (+46) 18-52 79 11    Home Fax: (+46) 18-55 41 84 
  ~~U~~ [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 12 Oct 1994 21:13:42 +0700
From:    Napajit Singkorapoom <[email-masked]>
Subject: Page layout in LaTeX?

I am a LaTeX beginner.  I am using LaTeX for my report and I have some 
questions would like to have your suggestions as follows;

1) Using Letter size pape(8.5"X11"), one-sided output, how to set the 
page layout as 
   
    - 3 cm left margin
    - 2 cm right margin
    - 3 cm top margin
    - 2.5 cm  bottom margin

2) the page number should be in the "top margin" at center position as 
  
    -1- , -2- ,,,,,,

3) equation numbers are according to the section numbers i.e.,

   in section 2 , eq. no. should be 2.1, 2.2, ..

Your promptly actions are highly appreciable.

Thanking you,
Napajit. 

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 13 Oct 1994 15:17:25 +0100
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Help needed to convert fonts

I'm using Textures 1.6.2 on a Macintosh
and I'm also using TeX, Version 3.1415 on a Unix machine.

I have bought the package Lucida from Blue Sky Research.
With this package, I got
        - the Outline fonts
        - the Screen fonts
        - the AFM files
        - the metrics files
for the macintosh.

I would like to use these package on my Unix machine.

So I have (for all the fonts)

- - create the VPL files from the macintosh metrics document (with EdMetrics)
- - create the TFM and VF files from these VPL files (with vptovf)
- - create the PFA files from the outline fonts (with macfont)

I have modified the file psfonts.map in such a manner that dvips
(dvipsk 5.58a) could deal with these files (tfm,vf and pfa)

BUT after all these manipulations, I don't get the same results with
the macintosh and with the Unix machine.

What's wrong ?

Pascal Maes
UCL/FSA/ELEC
Place du Levant,3
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM
email: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    31 Aug 1994 17:03:08 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Phil Austin)
Subject: [sci.geo.meteorology] latex style for AMS conference preprints

Steve Krueger has modified the AGU preprint style to produce
a two-column format suitable for AMS conference proceedings.

The style file (amspp.sty) and example (rad-pp.tex) along with
a bib file are available from:

ftp://leghorn.geog.ubc.ca/pub/jas.latex.dir

Phil Austin             INTERNET: [email-masked]
(604) 822-2175          FAX:      (604) 822-6150

Atmospheric Sciences Programme
Geography #217
University of British Columbia
1984 W Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z2
CANADA

------------------------------

Date:    02 Sep 1994 13:51:48 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Tom Kiffe)
Subject: [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCE CmacTeX2.2 (Macintosh)

Version 2.2 of CMacTeX is now available on CTAN in the directory
tex-archive/systems/mac/cmactex. It consists of TeX3.1415, Metafont2.71,
dvips, a previewer, a Postscript printing utility, and the usual font
utilities like gftopk, etc.

The principal feature of the new version is use of Apple Events to
launch and execute the various subprograms. As a result, Version 2.2
requires System 7.  The popular editors, Alpha and BBEdit, can be
configured to completely control CMacTeX, i.e., it is possible to
launch TeX from your editor, have it process the file displayed in
your editor's front window, automatically switch to the previewer, and
if you are satisfied, have the editor launch dvips to convert the
dvi file into Postscript. CMacTeX can also talk with the editor. If
TeX encounters an error and you type an 'e' at the ? prompt, CMacTeX
will ask the editor to open the tex file and highlight the offending
line.

As in earlier releases, most of CMacTeX is free. For further information
see the Readme files available on CTAN. 

Tom Kiffe

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 07 Oct 1994 17:57:04 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Giorgos Spiliotis)
Subject: New version of greektex available

A new version of greektex has been posted in the following sites:

   CTAN sites eg. ftp.dante.de    
                in the directory pub/tex/language/greek/greektex

   zeus.di.uoa.ariadne-t.gr  (143.233.122.1)
                in the directory pub/greek/greektex/dos

   math.ucla.edu  (128.97.4.254)
                in the directory pub/moschovakis/greektex

greektex is a package of public domain programs which make it easy to
use the well known Greek text fonts of Silvio Levy in Plain TeX,  LaTeX
or AMS-LaTeX with the full functionality of these sets of macros,
exactly as we use them to process English files. In fact greektex
understands files with mixed Greek and English text, so that it is
particularly useful for the typesetting of Greek scientific class notes,
articles and books: these typically contain many English words---names,
references, scientific terms traditionally given in both Greek and
English when first introduced, etc. It is very easy to install 
greektex in any platform with a full TeX implementation. The system 
is especially simple to use on a PC equipped with a VGA screen, for
which it provides a full bilingual keyboard system for entering (and
seeing on the screen) mixed English and modern (monotoniko) or classical
(polytoniko) Greek text. 

The heart of greektex is a set of "Greek-English" 256 character fonts
which extend the Computer Modern fonts of Knuth by a selection of the
Levy characters: For example, the first 128 characters of CLR10 are
exactly the characters of CMR10, while characters 128-255 are the Greek
"apla" (traditional) characters, as programmed by Levy.  Each  font is
named by replacing the CM prefix of the Knuth font it extends by CL,
e.g. CLTI10 is the extension of the English text italic font CMTI10,
etc. Using these fonts, it is easy to get Greek-English versions of
macro packages, basically by replacing each CM font by its CL extension
in the font definitions, and adding Greek hyphenation and a brief set of
macros to handle classical, polytoniko input. The package includes such
extensions for plain TeX, LaTeX and AMS-LaTeX, so that their format
files can be produced immediately by running initex on them. It also
provides  300 DPI  compilations of the CL extensions for all preloaded
fonts of (classical) LaTeX, as well as a complete set of all the
metafont files and adaptations of the Sauter scaling programs needed to
compile the fonts in any resolution and point size. 

Those familiar with the first two versions of greektex (posted by
Moschovakis in 1991 and 1993) will be interested in the following new
features of this more complete system, prepared jointly by 
Moschovakis and Spiliotis. 

(1) The fonts have been slightly improved and the internal coding of
some characters changed, to make the system compatible with more Greek
extended keyboard drivers and provide fuller coverage of classical
Greek. In addition, the fonts have been renamed, so that  it is not
possible to print dvi files produced by earlier versions of greektex
using the new fonts, BUT: __monotoniko__ greektex files produced for
earlier versions can be reTeXed with the new version and they will print
exactly as before. 

(2) The polytoniko (classical) system is implemented by a new set of
macros, based on a very simple architecture which makes it very robust,
so that, in particular, it enjoys essentially full LaTeX functionality. 
(Files with polytoniko input prepared for the second greektex version
cannot be handled by this version.)

(3) This distribution includes an extended dual keyboard system, which
makes it possible to enter from the keyboard and see on the screen the
diairesis on cap Iota and cap Ypsilon and the anw teleia in monotoniko,
as well as all the accents, aspiration marks and the iota subscript in
polytoniko. The classical accent+stress "decoration" of each vowel
(excluding the modern oxeia) is easy to enter by escape sequences and it
shows on the screen clearly, immediately preceding the vowel.
Internally, each decoration is coded by a single byte, and this is the
key to the new, very robust implementation of polytoniko.

(4) The files needed to compile a Greek-English format file for
AMS-LaTeX have been added. (To do this, you need, in addition, all the
AMS macro files and fonts required for AMS-LaTeX.)

(5) A Greek bibtex and makeindex system has been added. They can
handle Greek bibliographies and indexes as well as special Greek
lexicographical ordering.

A complete description of the system is given in the manual
"greektex.doc" and in the README file of the package, from which we copy
the INDEX.

            INDEX of the greektex distribution, July 1994.

========== Files which are necessary to install and run greektex ========

Note: Some files come in two versions with different extensions, 
      .gr and .tex, e.g. geabbr.gr and geabbr.tex. Only those
      with the extension .tex are used by greektex, but
      they are hard to read; the .gr files are easy to read in
      a DOS-bilingual keyboard, and they are TeX-equivalent to the 
      others, in most (but not all) platforms. 

(1) README          This file.

(2) pkunzip.exe     The program needed to uncompress on the PC 
                    the zip files of this distribution. 
                    (This is a recent version of pkunzip;
                    older versions may not work with these
                    zip files.)

(3) install.dos     Installation instructions under DOS.
    install.win     Installation instructions under WINDOWS.
    cpwin.tcp       Code page file, needed for WINDOWS installation.

(4) gedocs.zip      greektex.doc The document describing how to use 
                       the system. It also gives the credits for the 
                       public domain programs used and distributed.

                    greekdrv.doc The document explaining how to use the 
                       the extended keyboard programs in (5). 

                    fsample.tex A small texfile which facilitates
                       printing (with latex) a coding table of a font.

(5) gedos.zip       DOS programs for creating Greek-English files.
                       gr.com, grx.com, vgagr.com, vgagrx.com, instgr.com.

(6) geinputs.zip    The TeX input files needed by the system.
         geplain.tex, 
         gehyphen.tex, geletcat.tex, geabbr.tex,
         gehyphen.gr, geletcat.gr, geabbr.gr 
         gelplain.tex, gelfonts.tex,
         geamsla.tex, gelfonts.new, gefontdf.ori,
         gegreek.sty, gegreek.gr

(7) cltfm.zip       The tfm files for the Greek-English fonts.

(8) clpk.zip        300 DPI pk files for the Greek-English fonts.
                    Files are named in DOS convention, e.g. clr10.pk

======================= Auxilliary programs ==============================

(9) clmf.zip        The metafont files used to create the fonts, 
                    with a brief instruction document clmf.doc 
                    and some batch files for compiling fonts in 
                    additional pointsizes and any resolution.

(10) gkbibtex.zip   Greek-English version of bibtex and accompanying
     gkmkindx.zip   makeindex program, for DOS. 

(11) gkconv.zip     Programs for converting between different, common
                    coding systems for Greek with technical instructions 
                    on the use of code pages.

(12) greek202.zip   A complete dual keyboard system, includes grx-vgagrx
                    and more. 

(13) filters.zip    Two simple Greek-to-English and English-to-Greek 
                    filters (written in C) which make it (just barely) 
                    possible to create, read and convert files with 
                    mixed Greek and English text in a monolingual 
                    environment. See l2g.c for explanation.
                    Also C-code for a filter g2h.c which converts .gr
                    files, with Greek to teX-equivalent .tex files 
                    with hexadecimal coding of 8-bit characters.

(14) palamas.gr     Greek input file and Postscript  file of a one
     palamas.ps     page document which illustrates the method for 
     preprint.ps    entering polytoniko using grx.com and the output;
                    and a preprint of a publication which describes 
                    greektex in some detail.

====================================================================

IMPORTANT. If you are getting these files by ftp, make sure that  (3) -
(10) are transmitted in binary mode. Files (3) - (5) and (9) - (12) are
not needed for installing and running greektex.

As far as we know, all the programs in this package are in the public
domain and they are offered without any obligation or guarantee, with
the usual proviso that if you change any files you should also change
their names. 

For questions and comments, please send email to the author closest to
your site.

Yiannis N. Moschovakis           George Spiliotis
Department of Mathematics        M.Sc. in Data Engineering
UCLA, L.A. CA 90024              Digeni 26-28
                                 Voula 16673
                                 Athens, Greece

[email-masked]                [email-masked]

July 1994

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:20:42 -0400
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: kpathsea 2.2, dvipsk 5.58b, xdvik 18c, dviljk 2.2 available

New versions of dvipsk/xdvik/dviljk are in the usual place:
        ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{xdvik,dvipsk,dviljk}.tar.gz
        ... and CTAN and its mirrors; see the end of the message.
Please use the nearest site, to reduce the load on our Sparc 1.

I think the same patch that John Interrante and others created for web2c
6.1 will work for this release (but I didn't actually try it); you can
get that as the file web2c.kpathsea-2.1.help from the above sites.
Naturally, I am working on the next release of web2c.  It will be ready
no sooner than a month or two from now (and perhaps significantly
longer); it's no use to ask me precisely when, as I simply do not know.

As always, thanks to the many people who contributed.  I tried to note
names in the ChangeLog entries.

Also as usual, I've tested these with gcc 2.5.8, using GNU make 3.71, on
several architectures: Linux 1.0.4, SunOS 4, Solaris 2.3, HP-UX 9, Alpha
OSF/1 1.3, RS/6000 AIX 3.2.4, Aviion DG/UX 5.4.2, SGI IRIX 4.0.5F, and
MIPS Ultrix 4.3.  I used stock MIT X11R5 on all the machines for xdvik.
You can get GNU software from prep.ai.mit.edu and its mirrors, and you
can get MIT X from ftp.x.org and *its* mirrors.

Here's the NEWS:

dvipsk 5.58b
* config.$PRINTER is read even if -o or -f is specified, i.e., always.
* Paths in dvips config.$PRINTER files are not ignored (this was accidental!).
* Closing quote in \special{"..."} omitted from the output.
* --help and --version options supported.

kpathsea 2.2
* MakeTeXPK invoked for the any_glyph type; this is for xdvik.
* MakeTeXPK sources $(psheaderdir)/MakeTeXPK.site if it exists.
* pxlNNN/cmr10.pk searched for (as well as dpiNNN/cmr10.pk and cmr10.NNNpk)

xdvik 18c
* Include SELFILE support by default.
* Support the `ps: <literal PostScript>' special.
* Support --help (and -help and +help).
* Convert both 330 and 328 dpi to 329 (magstephalf).
* Checksum warnings omitted if either the font or DVI checksum is zero.

dviljk 2.2
* Use perror for nonexistent input files.

[email-masked]
Help fight the new programming monopolies -- write [email-masked].

  Here are the CTAN sites and their mirrors:
prompt$ finger [email-masked]
[...]
Known partial mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw (Taiwan)       /tex-archive
  ftp.adfa.oz.au (Australia)            /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.muni.cz (The Czech Republic)      /pub/tex/CTAN
  nic.switch.ch (Switzerland)           /mirror/tex
  ftp.cs.ruu.nl (The Netherlands)       /pub/tex-archive

Known mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ftp.center.osaka-u.ac.jp (Japan)      /CTAN
  ftp.cs.rmit.edu.au  (Australia)       /tex-archive
  ftp.duke.edu (North Carolina, USA)    /tex-archive
  ftp.loria.fr (France)                 /pub/unix/tex/ctan
  ftp.uni-bielefeld.de (Germany)        /pub/tex
  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de (Germany)        /tex-archive (/pub/tex)
  ftp.uu.net (Virginia, USA)            /pub/text-processing/TeX
  ftpserver.nus.sg (Singapore)          /pub/zi/TeX
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk (England)            /packages/tex/uk-tex
  sunsite.unc.edu (North Carolina, USA) /pub/packages/TeX
  wuarchive.wustl.edu (Missouri, USA)   /packages/TeX
Please send updates to this list to <[email-masked]>.

The participating hosts in the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network are:
  ftp.dante.de  (Germany)         
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.shsu.edu  (Texas, USA)      
       -- anonymous ftp and gopher      /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- NFS mountable from ftp.SHSU.edu:/pub/ftp/tex-archive
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- World Wide Web access on www.SHSU.edu
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.tex.ac.uk (England)               
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.tex.ac.uk
       -- NFS mountable from nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive
       -- World Wide Web access on www.tex.ac.uk
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 94 Issue 9]
****************************************