Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #15
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:41:00 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Friday, 27 Oct 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 15
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14
                        Re: PS Smallcaps Font
                   Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages
                   Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages
                   Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages
                      pagebreaks, &c in indexes
               METAFONT versions of courier and times?
                             Tex for VMS
                 Filling enclosed spaces in Metafont
                 Fonts used in "The LaTeX Companion"?
             ANNOUNCE: xtem X11-TeX-menu, release v. 4.16
                  Announce: Version 1.2 of dc fonts

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 11:51:43 +0100
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14

 > installation.  The LaTeX Companion by Goosens, Mittelback and Samarin
 > talks of many packages that are not part of our standard installation
...
 > Is it the case that what is in the book is supposed to be on CTAN?
well, not "supposed", just are

 > Is it the case that the LaTeX2e tree should contain everything for
 > LaTeX2e or what?
the 2e tree contains packages which are known to work with 2e. the 209
tree contains material that will *probably* work with 2e, but no-one
has officially checked and re-released the package

 > appear work properly.  There is also a macro in latex.ltx that appears
 > to be broken.
there is a standard procedure for bug reports, please use it

 > What is the mechanism for finding out who is wrong?
report bugs in 2e to its maintainers; report bugs in packages to their
authors. its as simple as that. 

the only part of 2e that is officially supported and checked at each
release is in the "packages" tree; the rest comes under the heading of
"caveat emptor"

***********************************
(for Hans Rieger)

 > I also added a line to PSFONTS.MAP like this:
 > 
 >      rptmsc Times-Roman "/Times-Roman Small Caps"
 > 
where you came up with this syntax, i have no idea. it wont work.
read the manual again, and you'll see that small caps are entirely at
the virtual font level, and dont need anything in psfonts.map

*****************************************************
(for David.Simpson)

 > Subject: color, graphics
 > 
 > I am trying to set up LaTeX2e on a unix station, and
 > wanted to use the new color and graphics packages.
 > However, attempts to use "usepackage" result in
 > messages such as
 > ! Latex error : File 'color.sty'   not found.
 > Similarly for 'graphics.sty'
 > I have searched the CTAN archives for such files.All I have
 > come up with is the graphics package directory containing color.dtx,=20
 > graphics.dtx, but no .sty files.   What is wrong ?
read the instructions, and you'll see that graphics.sty and color.sty
are generated from the .dtx files like many other LaTeX packages. Run
TeX on graphics.ins

***************************************
(for Kieran Parsons )
 >  I'd like to use the postscript versions of the Computer Modern fonts 
 > available on CTAN (either BaKoma or Paradissa) in my LaTeX
 >documents. In ord> to use XDVI or DVIPS I need the VF versions of the
> CM fonts, which do not app
you are confused, there are no VF files associated with standard CM
fonts.  For Xdvi you need the original PK bitmap, but for dvips you
need to add the names of the CM fonts to the file psfonts.map. The
BaKoMa distribution comes with a suitable addition

sebastian rahtz

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:59:39 +0100
From:    Russel Winder <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14

Sebastian,

Hi, we communicate with each other again! How are you?

>  > Is it the case that the LaTeX2e tree should contain everything for
>  > LaTeX2e or what?
> the 2e tree contains packages which are known to work with 2e. the 209
> tree contains material that will *probably* work with 2e, but no-one
> has officially checked and re-released the package

Sounds eminently sensible.

However, why discuss packages in the official LaTeX2e companion which
have not been officially checked and known to work with LaTeX2e,
e.g. multind.sty (p.365),index.doc (p.367) and bibunits.sty (p.386) --
to be found in macros/latex209/contrib/misc but nowhere in the 2e
tree.

>  > appear work properly.  There is also a macro in latex.ltx that appears
>  > to be broken.
> there is a standard procedure for bug reports, please use it

Where are these standard procedures documented so that a person can
find out what they are?

>  > What is the mechanism for finding out who is wrong?
> report bugs in 2e to its maintainers; report bugs in packages to their
> authors. its as simple as that. 

Exactly but see above.

> the only part of 2e that is officially supported and checked at each
> release is in the "packages" tree; the rest comes under the heading of
> "caveat emptor"

Which is why I guess I end up re-writing almost all the packages I try
from outside the 2e tree so that they actually work.  Oh well...

Russel.

==========================================================================

Dr Russel Winder

  Reader in Software Engineering
  Editor-in-Chief, Object Oriented Systems

Department of Computer Science                Phone: +44 (0)171 380 7293
University College London                     Fax: +44 (0)171 387 1397
Gower Street                                  EMail: [email-masked]
London WC1E 6BT
UK                            URL: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/R.Winder/

==========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:08:40 +0100
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14

 > However, why discuss packages in the official LaTeX2e companion which
but its not "official", thats the misunderstanding.

 > have not been officially checked and known to work with LaTeX2e,
 > e.g. multind.sty (p.365),index.doc (p.367) and bibunits.sty (p.386) --
 > to be found in macros/latex209/contrib/misc but nowhere in the 2e
mainly cos LaTeX2e didnt exist when they wrote the book :-}

 > 
 > Where are these standard procedures documented so that a person can
 > find out what they are?
in the instructions for LaTex2e; see eg 00readme.txt....

 > Which is why I guess I end up re-writing almost all the packages I try
 > from outside the 2e tree so that they actually work.  Oh well...
to be expected, in some ways. The 2e team are unusual along TeXxies
(with many honourable exceptions) of documenting, maintaining and
checking what they have done. 

but i think you are being unduly negative. "almost all packages i try"
going wrong suggests that either your needs are well weird or mine
are, because I seldom have to poke around these days. I find in fact
that the *vast* majority of work that comes past me is catered for by
the base+packages configuration. add in obvious, well-maintained,
stuff like fancyheadings and harvard and i'm happy as a sand boy. But
then its sometime since i did multiple indexes and bibliographies

the standard answer from Frank Mittelbach to letters like yours is
"ok, so you have found bibunits.sty doesnt work with 2e; fine, find
the problem, fix it up, document it, and submit it back in CTAN under
the 2e tree". that way the TeX community works well

i expect that sounds pompous though

sebastian

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 18:03:24 +0100
From:    Russel Winder <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14

>  > However, why discuss packages in the official LaTeX2e companion which
> but its not "official", thats the misunderstanding.

Aha.  I see your point.  Lamport's book has just stitched everyone up
then!

>  > have not been officially checked and known to work with LaTeX2e,
>  > e.g. multind.sty (p.365),index.doc (p.367) and bibunits.sty (p.386) 
| --
>  > to be found in macros/latex209/contrib/misc but nowhere in the 2e
> mainly cos LaTeX2e didnt exist when they wrote the book :-}

Figures.  Like most C++ programming books I know (apart from mine of
course) the code the authors write about has never been seen by a
compiler.

>  > Where are these standard procedures documented so that a person can
>  > find out what they are?
> in the instructions for LaTex2e; see eg 00readme.txt....

Thanks.  Will read and act accordingly.

>  > Which is why I guess I end up re-writing almost all the packages I try
>  > from outside the 2e tree so that they actually work.  Oh well...
> to be expected, in some ways. The 2e team are unusual along TeXxies
> (with many honourable exceptions) of documenting, maintaining and
> checking what they have done. 

Agreed, and three cheers for them for believing that documentation is
important.  I only wish more people developing computer-based systems
did.

> but i think you are being unduly negative. "almost all packages i try"
> going wrong suggests that either your needs are well weird or mine
> are, because I seldom have to poke around these days. I find in fact
> that the *vast* majority of work that comes past me is catered for by
> the base+packages configuration. add in obvious, well-maintained,
> stuff like fancyheadings and harvard and i'm happy as a sand boy. But
> then its sometime since i did multiple indexes and bibliographies

You are right, I am being overly negative.  It's just that I need
multiple indexes and bibliographies for collected works and
proceedings and find it hard enough to choose between packages that do
exist and work.  In this case choosing between index and multind or
chapterbib and bibunits is not easy as it is difficult to know what
the metrics are.  Having to make them all work before they can be
judged makes things worse; most people are only likely to want to make
1 of each work and must choose abstractly, i.e. from information in
books like the Dog Book.  The write-ups there don't actuallygive
enough information to decide.

To reemphasise what I said in my original letter, most of LaTex2e
works perfectly for me.

> the standard answer from Frank Mittelbach to letters like yours is
> "ok, so you have found bibunits.sty doesnt work with 2e; fine, find
> the problem, fix it up, document it, and submit it back in CTAN under
> the 2e tree". that way the TeX community works well
> 
> i expect that sounds pompous though

No it doesn't think it does sound pompous, nor is the principle in
error, but the problem is that people who are not within the immediate
circle of developers can feel:

1. that material they submit will not be taken seriously as it doesn't come
from the inner circle;

2. very defensive about their macros incase they are a bit
unsophisticated and cause howls of derision from members of the inner
circle and others; and/or

3. unsure of what the procedure is as it is not widely documented.

Russel.

==========================================================================

Dr Russel Winder

  Reader in Software Engineering
  Editor-in-Chief, Object Oriented Systems

Department of Computer Science                Phone: +44 (0)171 380 7293
University College London                     Fax: +44 (0)171 387 1397
Gower Street                                  EMail: [email-masked]
London WC1E 6BT
UK                            URL: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/R.Winder/

==========================================================================

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:02:44 -0000
From:    Dave Laurenson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PS Smallcaps Font

} I've recently been trying to use PostScript resident fonts with DVIPS
} and following the instructions in the manual I ran AFM2TFM and then
} VPTOVF to generate the required files. Things went smoothly and the
} printer was indeed using its own fonts.
} 
} The trouble began when I wanted to build a small caps font. Again
} following the instructions I ran
} 
}      afm2tfm Times-Roman -V ptmsc rptmsc
}      vptovf ptmsc.vpl ptmsc.vf ptmsc.tfm
} 
} I also added a line to PSFONTS.MAP like this:
} 
}      rptmsc Times-Roman "/Times-Roman Small Caps"
} 
} The TeX file was amended to read now:
} 
}      \font\vvzsmc=ptmsc at 10pt
}      {\vvzsmc ... (some text) ... }
} 
} which went through TeX and DVIPS without a hitch, but the resulting
} PostScript file wouldn't print. From the front panel of the printer
} you could see that it received the file and was working on it, but no
} output was produced.

You do not require the entry in the PSFONTS.MAP file - the Virtual Font
(.vf) file refers the DVI processor to the appropriate raw font files.
Here's a small piece of text that I wrote a while back to remind myself
of what I was doing....

In this case we want to use the same base font, but scale it to get
the lower case capitals.  For Times-Roman you will find ptmsc.tfm and
ptmsc.vf, but no rptmsc.tfm.  The reason for this is that when the .vpl
file is created (using the -V option of afm2tfm) it refers to the raw
tfm file twice in two sizes (size 1.0 and 0.8).  The .vf file
generated from this reflects this mapping, so dvips looks only for
rptmr.tfm which it does find.  (For reference, the command to do this
is 'afm2tfm ptmr.afm -V ptmsc.vpl rptmr.tfm' since the raw tfm file is
rptmr.tfm and not rptmsc.tfm).  As a side effect, no entry for Small
Caps fonts is required in the psfonts.map file.

Dave.

          Department of Electrical Engineering
          The University of Edinburgh, Scotland
          http://www.ee.ed.ac.uk/~dil/
          Tel: 0131 650 5579      Fax: 0131 650 6554

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:29:02 +0100
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages

In article <[email-masked]> Russel Winder writes:
>I am a (relatively happy) LaTeX2e user using a "bog standard"
>installation.  The LaTeX Companion by Goosens, Mittelback and Samarin
>talks of many packages that are not part of our standard installation
>but nonetheless look useful.  In ferreting around CTAN, I find some of
>them are in the LaTeX209 tree rather than the LaTeX2e tree and some of
>them are not there at all.
>
>Is it the case that what is in the book is supposed to be on CTAN?

We do our best to maintain a usable set, but we are (to some extent)
at the mercy of authors.  In a few cases, the package listed in the
book has been superseded; some packages have (I think) been withdrawn.

The file info/companion.ctan (originally by Sebastian Rahtz, but I now
maintain it) lists the packages we think are described in TLC and
where to find them, their replacements or nearest equivalents on
CTAN.  It's in a special cryptic format...

>Is it the case that the LaTeX2e tree should contain everything for
>LaTeX2e or what?

No.  Think of the dynamics of the situation: when 2e first appeared,
there were (naturally enough) _no_ contributed packages for it.  As
they appear, we reach a point at which it becomes unreasonable to
think of the 2.09 tree as anything other than a remote backup.  At
such a time, one would expect all packages there that are known to
work under both 2.09 and 2e to migrate to the 2e tree.

We may be at this stage already, but simply don't have the effort to
evaluate the situation.  There are endless proposals to reorganise the
archive, but none that we can realistically undertake.

>I will not mention which packages I am after for the moment since my
>problem is that the code of both the ones I am interested in does not
>appear work properly.  There is also a macro in latex.ltx that appears
>to be broken.

DO try reporting things like this.  In the case of something in
latex.ltx, you should submit the report to the LaTeX3 team, using
latexbug.tex to ensure that adequate information is included.  In the
case of other packages, report the problem to the author.  If you've
corrected a problem, think in terms of submitting that correction to
the author (or, under your own name, to the archive).

>What is the mechanism for finding out who is wrong?

Reporting these things is always a good start.  The LaTeX3 team are
(supernaturally, IMO) patient with bug reports, and many package
authors are pretty decent too.  Personally, I wouldn't use this list
to report package problems (I monitor the Usenet group comp.text.tex
fairly regularly), but if needs must, it's better than nothing.
- -- 
Robin (Campaign for Real Radio 3) Fairbairns     [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
<a href="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html">Private page</a>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 18:32:19 -0400
From:    [email-masked] (James E. Gentle)
Subject: Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages

Russel Winder wrote:

> This maybe a stupid collection of questions, no doubt I will get
> mountains of hate mail if it is but...
> ...
>                               In ferreting around CTAN, I find some of
> them are in the LaTeX209 tree rather than the LaTeX2e tree and some of
> them are not there at all.
> ...
> I will not mention which packages I am after for the moment since my
> problem is that the code of both the ones I am interested in does not
> appear work properly.  There is also a macro in latex.ltx that appears
> to be broken.

Since I have had the same experience, I am very much interested in the
answers to those questions.  The "dog" book has been worse than useless
to me: it has caused me to waste many hours of my time looking for and
trying to figure out what is wrong with the packages that sound so
useful when I read about them in the book.  Do working versions of
those packages really exist anywhere? and if so, where? -- and could we
delete the dogs, so people don't waste their time with them?

- -Jim

***********************************************************
James E. Gentle
University Professor of Computational Statistics
Institute for Computational Sciences and Informatics
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
[email-masked]
***********************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 01 Oct 1995 22:47:00 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Re: The "Dog Book" and Packages

Hallo TeXnicians,

Russel Winder wrote (in Texhax, Issue 14):

>       In ferreting around CTAN, I find some of them [i.e. the
>       packages mentioned in "Latex Companion"] are in the LaTeX209
>       tree rather than the LaTeX2e tree and some of them are not
>       there at all.

Please have a look at /tex-archive/macros/packages where you can  
find what you are searching for.

>       Is it the case that what is in the book is supposed to be
>       on CTAN?

It is.

Peter Wyzlic, Bonn, Germany

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Tel.: +49 228 / 691581

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 04 Oct 1995 17:41:50 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: pagebreaks, &c in indexes

a) Is there any way of ensuring that an index generated by  makeindex
is not broken between an item and its following subitem? - e.g.:

network  12
news
========= pagebreak ============
  bad  13
  good  14
next  15

I guess (see Companion p.359) that it could possibly be done via the
keyword  item_x1  in the  *.ist  file, if at all.  If so, then how?
\nopagebreak  in the  *.ind  file seems to have no effect.

b) Furthermore, is there any way of generating the following?  My guess
is `no':

news
  bad  13
  good  14
  \emph{see also} gnus

David Handscomb

Numerical Analysis Group
Oxford University Computing Laboratory
Wolfson Building
Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3QD
ENGLAND
 
tel. (national) 01865 273891 (international) +44 1865 273891 
FAX  (national) 01865 273839 (international) +44 1865 273839 
E-mail [email-masked] / [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 09 Oct 1995 08:22:59 -0500
From:    Jeff Helgesen <[email-masked]>
Subject: METAFONT versions of courier and times?

I am interested in obtaining metafont versions of courier (bold) and the
times family of fonts.

I am led to understand that these fonts are available commercially, but
I have not been able to locate a vendor.

Any assistance rendered would be greatly appreciated.  Please respond
directly via email.

Regards,
Jeff
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Jeff Helgesen                                 |    Voice: 217-398-2060    |
| Technical Typesetting Manager                 |      Fax: 217-398-3923    |
| Publication Services  /  Champaign, IL  (USA) | internet: [email-masked] |
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Oct 1995 14:03:46 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Peter Chiu RAL SSD EODG Computer Section)
Subject: Tex for VMS

My apologies if you receive this message more than once,
as I've sent it to more than one place.

I have been trying to pick up the latest tex and latex (3.14159?)
software for VMS (alpha and VAX) from ftp.tex.ac.uk.  

I have managed to locate the directories "/tex-archive/systems/vms"
and other directories like /tex-archive/fonts", but
always hit into problems when trying to assemble the kits.

The problem I see is that there does not seem to be a simple
kit whereby one can easily build a basic tex and latex directories.

I can ftp the vms.zip kit and unzip it, but it ends up with a 
number of zip files underneath.  Unzipping these files however
do not give me the the directory strucutre corresponding to the
descriptions in 0texinstall.txt.

There are further complications such as the /tex-archive/fonts/pk-files
directory not being present, and Tex-archive/fonts/cm cannot be transfered
as a zip file.

I mailed this problem to [email-masked] and was refered to 
this mailing list.

Basically, I wonder if anyone has a simple zip or backup saveset version
that I can easily build a complete VMS kit for alphas and VAXes?

Thanks.
Regards,
Peter Chiu
*******************************************************************************
Peter Chiu                     
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory | E-mail: [email-masked] (Internet)      
Space Science Department       |       : Omni:UK.AC.RL.GDF::PCMC (19.135DECnet)
Building R25 Room 1.27         | Voice : (44)-(0)1235-44-6699
Chilton, Didcot                | Fax   : (44)-(0)1235-44-6434 
Oxfordshire OX11 0QX  UK       |
*******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:00:40 -0400
From:    Andrew Kuchling <[email-masked]>
Subject: Filling enclosed spaces in Metafont

I'm working on a program to convert TrueType fonts to Metafont source code,
and have run into a problem.  The TrueType rasterizer draws spline curves
and then fills in all enclosed areas of the character. However, Metafont
seems to only support filling in areas where boundary paths are supplied in
advance, and not areas that just happen to have been enclosed by curves.
So, I'd like to know if any Metafont wizards can show me how to fill in
arbitrary enclosed spaces without deriving boundary paths.  Failing that,
are there any postprocessors that perform this task (say, on *gf files)?

        Thanks in advance...

        Andrew Kuchling 
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 26 Oct 1995 01:22:55 +0200
From:    Hyokkee Hwang <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fonts used in "The LaTeX Companion"?

 Hello! 
  
 I want to know how to set up the font used in the backcover of
 the book "Latex Companion" by Michel Goossens, Frank Mittelbach, etc. (I 
 mean the paragraphs starting with "LaTeX is an accesible and effective 
 tool...")
  
 It seems that the font is actually a computer modern roman but
 that looks very slightly different from the cmr I am using.
 So let me know the details of that font and how to set up.
 It looks more beautiful and so I prefer it.

 I can use both latex2 & latex2e.

 Thank you.

Best,
HaYaNNie

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:58:01 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Roland Weibezahn)
Subject: ANNOUNCE: xtem X11-TeX-menu, release v. 4.16

Dear xtem users,

after the tests of the beta-version of xtem version_4 this is now 
the final release as version 4.16 of

       "xtem",   an  X11-TeX-menu  

which runs with the new Tcl/Tk/TclX (Tcl 7.4/Tk4.0) as well as with the 
old version (Tcl7.3/Tk3.6) (yet we highly encourage you to switch to the 
new Tcl/Tk/TclX release because of some desirable user interface
refinements introduced in this Tcl/Tk version).

Besides adapting xtem to the new Tcl/Tk we have done error corrections,
optimizations and new features, some of them are:
  - file and directory selection in one menu, directory creation possible now,
  - radiobuttons where possible,
  - double mouse clicks in select boxes replaced by simple mouse clicks,
  - improved error messages if errors are done in the setting file
    printing.vst,
  - creation of the TeXtool buttons in the main menu optional by choice of
    the local administrator,
  - last used size and position of the xtem windows can be saved,
  - printer driver dvilj is added to the setting files.

The setting files from older versions of xtem may be kept unchanged
(mkcommand.vst excepted), thus switching from the older version (3.12) to the
new release will be done easily.

You will find all files on our file server:

      http://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/xtem/xtem_texmenu.html 
or
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tex/xtem/xtem_texmenu.README
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tex/xtem/xtem_texmenu.4.16.tar.gz
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tex/xtem/xtem_texmenu_eng.ps.gz
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tex/xtem/xtem_texmenu_ger.ps.gz

Here you may also find the sources  Tcl (version7.4), Tk (4.0), TclX: 
  
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tcl/tcl7.4p2.tar.gz
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tcl/tk4.0p2.tar.g
      ftp://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/pub/tcl/tclX7.4a-p1.tar.gz

We have uploaded the new xtem version to the ALCATEL server and to
the CTAN Server ftp.dante.de into "incoming", so you also may get all the 
material from
      ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com/tcl/code/xtem_*
and   ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/support/xtem_texmenu/*
and the other CTAN servers soon.

For those who don't know xtem_TeXMenu up to now, we give a short overview:

xtem provides for a simple and comfortable graphical user interface to control
the following facilities:

  - file and directory selection, directory creation,
  - editor (vi, emacs, ...)  including additional windows for the
    LaTeX-syntax (using hypertext) and examples,
  - TeX, LaTeX, ...,
  - previewer (ghostview, xdvi, TkDvi, ...),
  - printing (including comfortable printer selection, ...),
  - syntax and spelling check,
  - makeindex,
  - bibtex,
  - additional programs as required,
    .
    .
    .
Online help is available for all the buttons and windows by simple mouse click.
xtem is written for Unix platforms and has been tested on many systems.

Thanks,
                Roland Weibezahn

- ------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Roland Weibezahn           Phone  :  +49-421-218-3532
LRW Bremen                     Telefax:  +49-421-218-4112
c/o University Bremen
Bibliothekstr. 1               Postbox:  330440
28359 Bremen                   28334 Bremen
Germany                        
email: [email-masked]
WWW:   http://ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de/xtem/xtem_texmenu.html      
                                                      (the xtem_TeXMenu project
)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 21:41:24 +0100
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Announce: Version 1.2 of dc fonts

Dear TeXhax editors,

I think the dc-font announce should appear in TeXhax, too, for those people 
who don't read highly active newsgroups and lists.

Here it is:

The version 1.2 of the Cork encoded dc fonts is now available from the CTAN 
sites and will propagate to its mirrors soon.

The release includes the following:

* Many bugfixes, including ?` and !`
* The polish special letters from plfonts by Jackowsky and Rycko
* Overall improved accents
* A text companion font containing 105 extra symbols

The sources and some documentation are placed in 

tex-archive/fonts/dc/mf

fd-Files for LaTeX can be found in

tex-archive/fonts/dc/fd

There are also starter files for mf in directory ready-mf/ and tfm files in 
directory tfm/. You need to rebuild your LaTeX2e format with the new 
fd-files included to use the new version of the dcfonts, since all font 
names have changed.

- --J"org Knappen

P.S. dc-fonts v 1.1 are withdrawn, except for the PostScript versions.

P.P.S. You can find some documentation of the new release in the EuroTeX95
proceedings.

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 15]
*****************************************