Subject: TeXhax Digest V94 #11
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:24:34 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Friday, 16 Dec 1994  Volume 94 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
             Problems installing TeX on AIX: no MetaFont
              Questions about previewers and dvi drivers
            MS-DOS DVI driver for Olivetti inkjet printer?
                      tugboat 15 #2 (june 1994)
                     TeXsis Version 2.16 Released
                    Short introduction to LaTeX 2e
                        lshort2e.tex Uploaded
            TeX Users Group -- 1995 election announcement
          kpathsea 2.5, dvipsk 5.58e, xdvik 18e, dviljk 2.4
                     TeXhax/UKTeX merger opinions

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 11 Nov 1994 11:44:00 -0000
From:    "Alex Nunes, CCS, Birkbeck" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Problems installing TeX on AIX: no MetaFont

This is a probably an FAQ, but anyway:

I am trying to install TeX/LaTeX on an RS/6000 running AIX 3.2.2.

I retrieved the TEX distribution from ftp.tex.ac.uk in the 
systems/aix3.2 directory. I can successfully untar and compile. Once 
I've compiled the executables I find a full tex and latex build but no 
metafont. This is fairly useless because even though I can run all the 
latex programs, when it comes to printing almost all the fonts are 
missing and uncreatable without MF. When looking in the README file it 
seems to imply that MF is part of this distribution. 

Am I missing something?

Alex

Alex Nunes
UNIX Support
Central Computing Services
Birkbeck College
University of London
Malet Street
LONDON WC1E 7HX

email: [email-masked] (internet)
       [email-masked] (some JANET sites)
WWW:  http://www.bbk.ac.uk/People/Alex.html
Tel:    071 631 6337    (UK)
     004471 631 6337    (rest of the world)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 16 Nov 1994 12:30:31 +0000
From:    Jeremy Henty <[email-masked]>
Subject: Questions about previewers and dvi drivers

Imperial Software Technology is developing a tool which 
generates hardcopy using LaTeX and included PostScript.  
Naturally we would like this output to work on as many TeX 
systems as possible, so I would be grateful for answers to 
a few questions.  

 * What are the commonly used previewers and dvi drivers we should 
   aim to support?  
 * Do any of these programs not support either the "psfile=" or 
   "header=" specials?  
 * Is the LaTeX2e "graphics" package going to become the standard graphics 
   interface?  Will other packages support its syntax for compatibility?  
 * According to the manual page, xdvi does not "as yet" support "header=" 
   specials.  Will it?  If so, how soon?  
 * What (if any) are the significant differences between xdvi and xdvik? 
   dvips and dvipsk?  

Please email responses.  

Thank you in advance, 

Jeremy C. Henty  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 18 Nov 1994 11:29:54 +0200
From:    Shlomo Reisner <[email-masked]>
Subject: MS-DOS DVI driver for Olivetti inkjet printer?

A question: Does anyone know of a  MSDOS dvi-driver for ink-injection 
printer. I have an Olivetti 250JP - (emulation of HP DeskJet Plus).
Thanks for any information.
Shlomo Reisner
Dept of Mathematics
Univ. of Haifa, Israel.

------------------------------

Date:    09 Dec 1994 13:25:57 -0500
From:    bbeeton <[email-masked]>
Subject: tugboat 15 #2 (june 1994)

it is with pleasure and a great deal of relief that i announce that
the june issue of tugboat (15 #2) is now being printed, and should
be mailed to tug members in about a week.

an unfortunate combination of logistical and production problems
have conspired to delay the issue, including internal office moves
by the editor, with storage of all materials related to the issue,
extended absences of the editor attending meetings and for other
reasons, and unexpected difficulties in actual file processing.
i am sincerely apologetic for the delays; steps are being taken
to address these problems to help avoid them in the future.

serious production difficulties have also hampered preparation of
the proceedings issue (tugboat 15 #3).  i received notification
earlier today from the proceedings editors that the bulk of the
camera copy has been shipped to me for final action.  a few pages
remain to be processed into camera copy, and i expect to be able
to send that issue to the printer the week after next.  (i shall
be attending a standards meeting next week, and my office is
being moved again next weekend, so nothing can happen during that
interval.)

work is also proceeding on issue #4, and i intend to complete it
as soon as possible, although i cannot give an exact date just yet.
however, i believe that it will be possible to get the first 1995
issue out by the end of march, the cover date.

the table of contents for 15 #2 follows.
                                                -- bb
                        --------------------

TUGboat 15, 2, June 1994
Contents

    87  Addresses

General Delivery
    89  Christina Thiele
                        Opening words:
                        Meetings; ISO and de facto standards
    89  Barbara Beeton  Editorial comments:
                        ``LaTeX2e'' is now just ``LaTeX''; New CTAN features;
                        Northwest Computing Support Center closed;
                        TeX output in audible form
    91  Michel Goossens WEPT: A Week on Electronic Publishing and Typography

Dreamboat
    96  Philip Taylor   Report of the 2nd meeting of the NTS group,
                        February 1994

Fonts
    97  Alan Hoenig     {Meta}Font Forum redux
    98  R. Ramasubramanian, R.W.D. Nickalls and M.A. Reed       
                        ASCII.sty: A new style-option and encoded font with
                        IBM graphics control characters for use with TeX
                        and LaTeX

Book Reviews
   103  David M. Jones and David E. Wald
                        Michel Goossens, Frank Mittelbach, and Alexander
                        Samarin, The LaTeX Companion
   106  Victor Eijkhout
                        Norman Walsh, Making TeX Work
   107  Jacques Andre
                        Christian Rolland, LaTeX guide pratique

Typesetting on Personal Computers
   108  Alan Hoenig     NextTeX: TeX plus the NextStep Operating System

Macros
   110  Michael Downes  Interaction tools: dialog.sty and menus.sty

LaTeX
   131  Bernard Gaulle  LaTeX V3: philology & typography,
                        reports to read, reports to do
   131  Claudio Beccari Tough table becomes easy with PiCTeX,
                        but it's even easier with LaTeX

Letters
   132  Paul Anagnostopolous
                        On the review of TeX in Practice

Abstracts
   133  Baskerville, Volume 4, Nos. 1--2
   136  Cahiers GUTenberg Nos. 16 and 17
   138  Die TeXnische Komoedie 1993, Heft 1--4

News & Announcements
   143  Calendar
   160  TUG'95 -- St. Petersburg, Florida

Late-Breaking News
   148  Barbara Beeton  Production notes
   149  Coming next issue
   150  Barbara Beeton  Change in TUGboak policy

TUG Business
   145  Meet the Board, Part II
                        Michael Ferguson; Peter Flynn; George Greenwade;
                        Yannis Haralambous; Nico Poppelier; Jon Radel;
                        Sebastian Rahtz
   151  Institutional members

Forms
   155  TUG membership application

Advertisements
   152  TeX consulting and production services
   154  Index of advertisers

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 1994 19:52:54 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeXsis Version 2.16 Released

                      TeXsis Version 2.16 Released

   The latest version (2.16) of the TeXsis macro package of TeX macros
for physicists is now available (as of 12 November 1994) via anonymous
ftp from lifshitz.ph.utexas.edu, in the directory /texsis.

The most notable changes or additions are:

 * All bug fixes from patches to TeXsis 2.15 are included in TeXsis 2.16
   (they were all pretty minor).

 * The manual has been re-organized to make it clearer, and easier to
   learn how to set up a complete document.

 * Figures and tables can be put at the _bottom_ of a page or column, 
   using \bottomfigure and \bottomtable, or \heavyfigure and \heavytable.
   More generally, any sort of insertion may be put at the bottom of a
   page or column with \bottominsert or \heavyinsert.

 * The double column macros have been completely re-written.  They are
   much improved, and support insertions at the bottom of columns,
   including footnotes.  The new macros can also be used by themsleves 
   with Plain TeX.  

 * \NFootnote creates numbered footnotes.

 * The PhysRev.txs style file defines \PhysRevManuscript for papers
   being submitted to the Physical Review, and \PhysRev and \PhysRevLett
   to emulate the layouts of those journals.

 * The IEEE.txs and WorldSci.txs style files have been updated.

 * \ListFigureCaptions lets you print figure captions at the end of
   the document.

 * Many other small additions and improvements.

Those of you who have been using the beta version of 2.16 in the past
few months will find little changed, except that the manual has been
updated to match the changes to the macros.

                               ----------
  
  To make it easier for the casual reader of electronic preprints
("e-prints") to print a TeXsis document we have also put all of the core
TeXsis macros into one source file (called mtexsis.tex), with all the
comments and blank lines removed.  A reader who does not have TeXsis on
his/her system can then simply get this file, add "\input mtexsis" to
the manuscript file, and print the paper with Plain TeX.  You can make
your e-print manuscript files automatically load mtexsis.tex if it is
needed by adding the following line at the begining of the manuscript
file:

        \ifx\undefined\TeXsis \input mtexsis.tex\fi

It is suggested that you try running such a manuscript through Plain TeX
with mtexsis.tex first to make sure that it works.

                               ----------

   As always, comments, suggestions, and bug reports are welcomed, and
can be sent to us at [email-masked].

Eric Myers   <[email-masked]>         | 
Departmenty of Physics and Astronomy    |     "Frankie say '\relax'"
Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York  |

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 16 Nov 1994 11:18:26 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Short introduction to LaTeX 2e

I have installed Tobias' stuff as announced below

- ------- Forwarded Message

Subject: lshort2e.tex Uploaded

Announcement:

========================================================================
    Now available for CTAN:/pub/tex/info/lshort (i.e., 

    A not very Short Introduction to LaTeX 2e (58 Pages)
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by Tobias Oetiker 16/11/1994 <[email-masked]>

    If you want to learn how to write your documents with LaTeX,
    this introduction is for you. It is not about setting up a
    LaTeX system. While it is not as comprehensive as Lamport's book,
    it should be sufficient in most cases.
 
    The document is provided in PS DVI and source form ...

    Enjoy!

    All the best 
    Tobi

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

English-speaking LaTeX users of the world have good reason to be
grateful to Tobias for the work he's done (as should users whose
German speech is as dubious as mine ;-)

Thanks, Tobi

------------------------------

Date:    12 Dec 1994 18:45:42 -0500
From:    bbeeton <[email-masked]>
Subject: TeX Users Group -- 1995 election announcement

                    ----------------------------- 
                    1995 TeX Users Group Election
                    ----------------------------- 

The terms of the TUG President and of 5 members of the Board of Directors
will expire as of the 1995 Annual Business Meeting, which will take
place in conjunction with the 16th Annual Meeting in July 1995.  The
directors whose terms expire in 1995 are Barbara Beeton, Michael Doob,
Michel Goossens, and Tom Rokicki; a shortfall in the number of nominees
in the last election left one position unfilled.  The election to choose
the new President and Board members will be held next Spring, and
nominations are invited.

The Bylaws provide that ``Any member may be nominated for election to the
office of TUG President/to the Board by submitting a nomination petition
in accordance with the TUG Election Procedures.  Election ... shall be
by written mail ballot of the entire membership, carried out in accordance
with those same Procedures.''  The term of office of the President is
two (2) years, and of a director, three (3) years. Incumbent officers
may be nominated for successive terms.

The name of any member may be placed in nomination for election to one
of these offices by submission of a petition, signed by two other current
(1994 or 1995) members, to the TUG office at least 30 days prior to the
mailing of ballots.  (A candidate's membership dues for 1995 will be
expected to be paid by the nomination deadline.)  A petition form follows
this announcement; forms may also be obtained from the TUG office, and
electronically from the  usergrps/tug  area of CTAN.

Along with a petition form, each candidate is asked to supply a
passport-size photograph, a short biography, and a statement of intent
to be included with the ballot; the biography and statement of intent
together may not exceed 400 words.

The deadline for receipt at the TUG office of petitions and ballot
information is February 1, 1995.

Ballots will be mailed to all members early in March.  Marked ballots
must be postmarked no later than May 9, and received no later than
May 23.  These deadlines will be noted on the ballots.
 
Ballots will be counted by a disinterested party not part of the TUG
organization. The results of the election should be available by the
end of May, and will be announced in a future issue of this publication
as well as through various TeX-related electronic lists.
 
                                             Barbara Beeton
                                             for the Elections Committee

                     --------------------------------
                     Nomination for 1995 TUG Election
                     --------------------------------

Only current (1994 or 1995) TUG members are eligible to participate.
The signatures of two (2) members are required in addition to that of
the nominee.  Type or print names clearly, exactly as they appear in
the most recent TUG membership list or on a TUG mailing label; new
members should enter the name which they used on their membership
application form. Names that do not exactly match the TUG records will
not be accepted as valid.
 
                              ---------------
 
The undersigned TUG members propose the nomination of:

- -------------------------   -------------------------   --------------- 
    Name of nominee                (signature)              (date)
 
for the position of (check one):

[ ] TUG President
[ ] Member of the TUG Board of Directors

for a term beginning at the 1995 Annual Meeting, July 1995.

                     Members supporting this nomination

     Nominated by                   Signature                Date
    (please print)

- -------------------------   -------------------------   --------------- 

- -------------------------   -------------------------   --------------- 

Return this petition to the TUG office (FAXed petition forms will be
accepted).  Petitions and all required supplementary material (photograph,
biography and personal statement for inclusion on the ballot) must be
received in the TUG office no later than the deadline:
                          February 1, 1995
It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that this deadline
is met.  Under no circumstances will incomplete applications be accepted.
A candidate's membership dues for 1995 must also be paid by this deadline.

TeX Users Group
Nominations for 1995 Election
P.O.~Box 869
Santa Barbara, CA 93102-0869
U.S.A.

FAX:  805-963-8358

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Dec 1994 19:07:09 -0500
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: kpathsea 2.5, dvipsk 5.58e, xdvik 18e, dviljk 2.4

New versions of dvipsk/xdvik/dviljk are in the usual place:
        ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{xdvik,dvipsk,dviljk}.tar.gz
        ... and CTAN and its mirrors; see the end of this message.
Please use the nearest site, to reduce the load on our old Sparc 1.

The biggest change is using Autoconf 2.1 to prepare the configure
scripts -- who knows what that's broken. Aside from that, it's just
minor bug fixes.

The patch that John Interrante and others created for web2c 6.1 for the
previous kpathsea release should basically work for this release, except
for the configure scripts; you can get that as the file
web2c.kpathsea-2.4.help from the above sites.  (Naturally, I am working
on the next release of web2c.  It will be ready no sooner than a month
or two from now (and perhaps significantly longer); it's no use to ask
me precisely when, as I simply do not know.) I hope John (or someone)
can update the patch soon.

As always, thanks to the many people who contributed.  I tried to record
names in the ChangeLog entries.

Please report bugs to [email-masked]. 
Email [email-masked] with a line containing
    subscribe [email-masked]
in the body of the message to join this mailing list.

If you only want to see announcements, not bug reports and discussion,
subscribe to [email-masked] instead.  (Email
[email-masked] to join that list.)

[email-masked]
Help fight the new programming monopolies -- write [email-masked].

Here's the NEWS:

kpathsea 2.5
* Go back to calling db_insert after a successful MakeTeXPK, and check
  for lack of an ls-R.
* Handle case of magstep -.5 for MakeTeXPK properly.

xdvik 18e
* The SelFile widget masks all but .dvi files by default (thanks to
  [email-masked] for implementing this).
* `G' can change the gamma value dynamically, as well whether grey is used.
* Crash when starting without a filename fixed (hopefully).
* `Can't find 300dpi using 300dpi' warning fixed (hopefully).
* Compile-time default mode removed; back to letting MakeTeXPK guess.
* Usage message improved for SELFILE case.

dvipsk 5.58e
* MakeTeXPK once again does umask 0.
* M[ode] lines in config.$PRINTER override config.ps again (as intended).
* Compile-time default mode removed; back to letting MakeTeXPK guess.
* -o option overrides o in config files.

dviljk 2.4
* Character 32 not downloaded on old printers, to work around an
  apparent bug in the emulation on a Kyocera.

Here are the CTAN sites and their mirrors:

prompt$ finger [email-masked]
[...]
Known partial mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw (Taiwan)       /tex-archive
  ftp.adfa.oz.au (Australia)            /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.muni.cz (The Czech Republic)      /pub/tex/CTAN
  nic.switch.ch (Switzerland)           /mirror/tex
  ftp.cs.ruu.nl (The Netherlands)       /pub/tex-archive

Known mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ftp.center.osaka-u.ac.jp (Japan)      /CTAN
  ftp.cs.rmit.edu.au  (Australia)       /tex-archive
  ftp.duke.edu (North Carolina, USA)    /tex-archive
  ftp.loria.fr (France)                 /pub/unix/tex/ctan
  ftp.uni-bielefeld.de (Germany)        /pub/tex
  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de (Germany)        /tex-archive (/pub/tex)
  ftp.uu.net (Virginia, USA)            /pub/text-processing/TeX
  ftpserver.nus.sg (Singapore)          /pub/zi/TeX
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk (England)            /packages/tex/uk-tex
  sunsite.unc.edu (North Carolina, USA) /pub/packages/TeX
  wuarchive.wustl.edu (Missouri, USA)   /packages/TeX
Please send updates to this list to <[email-masked]>.

The participating hosts in the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network are:
  ftp.dante.de  (Germany)         
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.shsu.edu  (Texas, USA)      
       -- anonymous ftp and gopher      /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- NFS mountable from ftp.SHSU.edu:/pub/ftp/tex-archive
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- World Wide Web access on www.SHSU.edu
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.tex.ac.uk (England)               
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.tex.ac.uk
       -- NFS mountable from nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive
       -- World Wide Web access on www.tex.ac.uk
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:18:27 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeXhax/UKTeX merger opinions

Following my note about merging the TeXhax and UKTeX Digests
(TeXhax V94 #xx, UKTeX V94 #xx), I received 12 responses, all
in favour of the merger.  There were two reservations expressed:

- - frequency of the new TeXhax... weekly was felt by a couple of
  people to be too often
- - one person requested that the digest be given a new name

One of the advantages of increased frequency is that questions
can be answered and announcements made in a more timely fashion.
This has always been one of the "advantages" of the UKTeX Digest
which I'd like to carry over into the new, merged digest.
However, after we've had a few issues, if lots of people feel
strongly that a weekly digest is hitting their mailbox too often,
please let me know and we could move to, perhaps, two-weekly issues.

As for names, well, I felt it would be less confusing to keep the
name of the "elder" publication, which is mentioned in many online
locations and Internet list-of-lists (e.g., Meckler's "On Internet 94").

If you have any views on any of this, please let me know.

~~David Osborne (TeXhax Digest moderator)

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 94 Issue 11]
*****************************************