Subject: TeXhax Digest V96 #11
From: [email-masked] (Majordomo list server)
Date: 17 Jul 96 23:44:30 GMT

TeXhax Digest             Wednesday, 17 July 1996      Volume 96 : Number 011

(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:

    Re: METAFONT for Macintosh?
    Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #10
    Re: wysiwyg (TeXhax Digest V96 #10)
    Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #10
    Metafont on Mac
    Re: Metafont on Mac

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Amal Phadke)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:23:54 -1000
Subject: Re: METAFONT for Macintosh?

> From: Tom Bryan <tbryan@Thorin>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 10:29:29 PDT
> Subject: METAFONT for Macintosh?
.
> Has anyone had success in running METAFONT on a Macintosh?
>
> I have a Macintosh PowerBook 5300c, system 7.5.
> I am using the public domain METAFONT version 0.66 from the
> Bluesky ftp site, and it is not fully operational.
> Is there a better METAFONT for Macintosh available?
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Bryan
>
> E-Systems, Goleta Division
> One South Los Carneros, Goleta, CA 93117-3197, USA
> Email: [email-masked]       Tel: (805) 967-5511 ext. 2974
> FAX: (805) 964-0470
>

Tom:

         OzTeX 2.0.1, Andrew Trevorrow's Macintosh shareware version of TeX
now has its own METAFONT program OzMF. It has worked  flawlessly for me so
far. OzTeX is available at all CTAN sites under
"/tex-archive/systems/mac/oztex" directory.

Cheers

- ---
Amal Phadke
Department of Ocean Engineering,
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences & Technology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2540 Dole street , Holmes Hall 408B
Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Tel: (808) 956-8198  Fax: (808) 956-3498

e-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW Page : http://oceaneng.eng.hawaii.edu/~phadke

------------------------------

From: Piet van Oostrum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:56:52 +0200
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #10

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted as well.

>>>>> Hartmut Peters <[email-masked]> (HP) writes:

HP> Dear fellow TeXers,
HP> I am having a paper in the mill at Academic Press in the UK, and they only
HP> do wysiwyg programs like word, yuk! My manuscript is in LaTeX both on Unix
HP> and on a Mac under Textures. Does anybody know of a way to export the text
HP> to wysiwyg programs? It wouldn't be a problem if the formatting
HP> information got lost as long as the text came across. (Excalibur has a
HP> parser that throws out the LaTeX/TeX commands...)

HP> The opposite way apparently works, but I haven't seen TeX --> wysiwyg,
HP> yet. Well, if not, the Academic Press folks may have to digest the LaTeX
HP> files or retype it (in which case I get to find all the typos...) I sure
HP> wish they could handle something more professional than "Word"...

Try tex2rtf (not latex2rtf), from the support directory on CTAN. It
produces RTF which can be read both by Wordpervert and Microsloth Word, and
probably plenty of others, too.

If that doesn't work you could try detex, but it may throw away too much.
Or latex it, and push it through dvi2tty.
- -- 
Piet van Oostrum <[email-masked]>
URL: http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet [PGP]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Piet van Oostrum)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:09:21 +0200
Subject: Re: wysiwyg (TeXhax Digest V96 #10)

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted as well.

>>>>> Hartmut Peters <[email-masked]> (HP) writes:

HP> Dear fellow TeXers,
HP> I am having a paper in the mill at Academic Press in the UK, and they only
HP> do wysiwyg programs like word, yuk! My manuscript is in LaTeX both on Unix
HP> and on a Mac under Textures. Does anybody know of a way to export the text
HP> to wysiwyg programs? It wouldn't be a problem if the formatting
HP> information got lost as long as the text came across. (Excalibur has a
HP> parser that throws out the LaTeX/TeX commands...)

HP> The opposite way apparently works, but I haven't seen TeX --> wysiwyg,
HP> yet. Well, if not, the Academic Press folks may have to digest the LaTeX
HP> files or retype it (in which case I get to find all the typos...) I sure
HP> wish they could handle something more professional than "Word"...

Try tex2rtf (not latex2rtf), from the support directory on CTAN. It
produces RTF which can be read both by Wordpervert and Microsloth Word, and
probably plenty of others, too.

If that doesn't work you could try detex, but it may throw away too much.
Or latex it, and push it through dvi2tty.
- -- 
Piet van Oostrum <[email-masked]>
URL: http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet [PGP]

------------------------------

From: John Burt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:18:02 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #10

Yes, I have had success running Metafont on a Mac. The one I use is
the Metafont that is a part of the CMacTeX package. It makes the standard
.tfm and .gf files, and you run gftopk on the .gf file to generate a .pk
file. Running Metafont is not trivial, but this Metafont behaves
exactly like the metafonts in the unix and vms worlds. It is shareware, but
you get the whole CMacTeX package, which is great, for your money. You
can download the most recent version from the author's home page. I
don't have his URL handy, but I think it's
http://math.tamu.edu/~tkiffe/cmactex.html
The author's name is Tom Kiffe.

One note: your TeX must use standard .pk files (CMacTeX and OzTeX do---in
fact the latter uses Kiffe's Metafont as well). Some systems---I think
Te
textures among them---don't use standard .pk files.
John Burt
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Paul J. Campbell)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:19:18 -0600
Subject: Metafont on Mac

I too have been experimenting with Metafont 0.66 on the Mac (acutally, when
it runs, it says it is 0.65).

I'm glad you asked your question, so I can describe for my own
benefit---before I forget!---what works.

There is a file metafont-for-beginners on CTAN (I think it is in /doc), but
I have not seen anything specific to the Mac.

Last week I had my first success with Metafont. I was able to take a
Metafont description of an .mf file and turn it into a font suitcase that
works with any application.

The key problem is that .mf files cannot be processed without some additions.

I used the program shell

mode=laserwriter;   % Metafont checks mfinputs:local.mf for all mode_def's;
                                % put here the option that fits your printer
mag=magstep0;        % could be magstep1, or 0.5,2,3,4,5 as well
%screenstrokes;       % could be screenchars, for per character viewing,
but works faster this way
input hcyr                 % this is the .mf file to process; add more
input lines as needed
bye

To the original .mf file I added the following introductory lines:

font_size 10pt#;  % the "design size" of this font; can be whatever you like
ht#:=10pt#;          % height of characters
xgap#:=0.6pt#;     % horizontal adjustment (I just guessed at this)

If you don't put in lines like those, everything appears to work, Metafont
says that it writes the fonts to files, and indeed it creates files---empty
ones!

You process the program shell file with Metafont with the settings Make
Suitcase and (for me, by default) Plain, by selecting Metafont on the
Metafont menu.

Metafont adds the font to the MFfonts  suitcase and creates an MFmetrics
suitcase (you can see the latter and you can double-click the former to
examine the contents---that's how I found out I wasn't getting anything).
You need the latter for use with TeX but the former will work with any
program (Word, etc.) if you put it into the System folder. The application
program (e.g., Word) will scale the font (with jaggies) to any size; if you
want nice looking characters, process the .mf file to make fonts at all the
sizes you will use.

I was just making a font of ancient Croatian script for a couple of
students here, but part of my reason for exploring all this is an old
desire (and a new need) to be able to take fonts for IBM (.pfb, .pfa, .pfm
files) and make them into Mac bitmapped (or preferably PS) fonts. After
exploring lots of software on CTAN last week, I am convinced that this can
be done but (as far as I know) only by making a detour to using some Unix
programs along the way.

A promising new port of TeX, LaTeX, Metafont (0.66), BibTex, and
Metapost(!) for the Mac was promulgated this April. Called cmactex25, it is
available at CTAN (it's shareware, $35). CMacTeX handles afm, pfa, pfb, and
tfm files directly and there is no need to convert them into a Mac-specific
format. I have explored only its font utilities so far.

  Paul J. Campbell
  Mathematics and Computer Science
  Beloit College
  700 College St.
  Beloit, WI 53511
  (608) 363-2007 (ofc)
        362-2805 (res)
        363-2718 (fax)
  [email-masked]            

------------------------------

From: Tom Bryan <tbryan@Thorin>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 15:41:45 PDT
Subject: Re: Metafont on Mac

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your advice on using Metafont 0.66 on the Mac.  I
tried your advice and got the Blue Sky version to work for the
first time.  However, I was still dissatisfied with the
deficiencies of the Blue Sky Metafont.  I received two other
replies (enclosed) that led me to download and try OzTeX,
DirectTeX, and CMacTeX.  I only have a few days of experience
with these other packages, but thus far I like the OzTeX the best
and it replicates the examples in Knuth's MetaFont book without
any problems (something I couldn't do in the Blue Sky version).

Sincerely,
Tom

- -- 
Dr Thomas A Bryan
E-Systems, Goleta Division
One South Los Carneros, Goleta, California, USA 93117-3197, USA  
Email: [email-masked]       Tel: (805) 967-5511 ext. 2974
FAX: (805) 964-0470

Home: 275 Savona Avenue, Goleta, California, 93117, USA   (805) 968-1264

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:22:47 +0100
From: [email-masked] (Dr Alun J. Carr)
Subject: Re: METAFONT for Macintosh?
To: [email-masked]

Tom,

>Has anyone had success in running METAFONT on a Macintosh?

Well, I haven't even tried the Bluesky one, which is obsolete, to say the
least. All the `mainstream' TeX implementations for the Mac (OzTeX,
DirectTeX Pro, and CMacTeX) come with their own METAFONT implementations,
which work extremely well, with the DVI previewers/printer drivers
automatically calling METAFONT to generate missing fonts. Textures seems to
be primarily Postscript font based, rather than bitmap-based, so METAFONT
is a bit of an anomaly in a Textures system. I know only one Textures user
here at UCD, and even he abandoned it a while back, and started using
DirectTeX Pro (which works like a dream in conjunction with the Alpha text
editor and the Excalibur spelling-checker).

You can find the latest releases of OzTeX, CMacTeX and DirectTeX Pro, with
their METAFONTs at the UK or German CTAN sites (the US CTAN is pretty-much
defunct):

<ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/mac/>
<ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/systems/mac/>

Hope this helps.

Alun

- --
Dr Alun J. CARR                 Phone:  +353-1-7061989
Mechanical Engineering Dept.            +353-1-2693244 x1989
University College Dublin       Fax:    +353-1-2830534
Belfield                        E-mail: <[email-masked]>
Dublin 4                        WWW:    <http://tizit.ucd.ie/ajcarr/>
Ireland

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:23:54 -1000
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Amal Phadke)
Subject: Re: METAFONT for Macintosh?
Cc: [email-masked]

> From: Tom Bryan <tbryan@Thorin>
> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 10:29:29 PDT
> Subject: METAFONT for Macintosh?
>
> Has anyone had success in running METAFONT on a Macintosh?
>
> I have a Macintosh PowerBook 5300c, system 7.5.
> I am using the public domain METAFONT version 0.66 from the
> Bluesky ftp site, and it is not fully operational.
> Is there a better METAFONT for Macintosh available?
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Bryan
>
> E-Systems, Goleta Division
> One South Los Carneros, Goleta, CA 93117-3197, USA
> Email: [email-masked]       Tel: (805) 967-5511 ext. 2974
> FAX: (805) 964-0470
>

Tom:

         OzTeX 2.0.1, Andrew Trevorrow's Macintosh shareware version of TeX
now has its own METAFONT program OzMF. It has worked  flawlessly for me so
far. OzTeX is available at all CTAN sites under
"/tex-archive/systems/mac/oztex" directory.

Cheers

- ---
Amal Phadke
Department of Ocean Engineering,
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences & Technology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2540 Dole street , Holmes Hall 408B
Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Tel: (808) 956-8198  Fax: (808) 956-3498

e-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW Page : http://oceaneng.eng.hawaii.edu/~phadke

------------------------------

End of TeXhax Digest V96 #11
****************************

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax
If you have problems with un/subscribing, please mail [email-masked]

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include, among others,
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest back issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

\bye