Subject: TeXhax Digest V96 #3

From: Majordomo list server <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:29:03 +0000

TeXhax Digest              Thursday, 7 March 1996       Volume 96 : Number 003

(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:

    TeX/LaTeX on Windows
    Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #2
    Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #2
    spell checker for sun(UNIX)
    permille, fractions, space, \afterpage and procs
    Table of contents, TUGboat 16(2)
    Announcing TUG'96 in Dubna (Russia) July 28-Aug 2 1996

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Berthold K.P. Horn)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:11:04 -0500
Subject: TeX/LaTeX on Windows

  From: "Sam Nelson (CO)" <[email-masked]	
  Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:27:33 +0000 (GMT)
  Subject: TeX/LaTeX on Windows

  Not being a beginner, this is going to sound a bit weird, I suppose, but
  despite having used TeX and LaTeX around here for more than a decade, I've
  never been asked (very much) to put them up on PC platforms, which are in
  little use in this department.  However, I've just been asked about running
  LaTeX on a Windows platform, and it occurs to me that I know nothing whatever
  about this.

  Starting from scratch then, in an early-1996 Windows environment, where
  should one go to get the ideal TeX/LaTeX setup?  I assume there are
  `commercial' solutions (we use Textures on Macintosh already) but I don't
  know how much money might be available, so a price spectrum from zero to
  lottery-winner is appropriate, I think.

Check out http://www.YandY.com	(or contact [email-masked]).

  Thanks for any suggestions,

	 Sam.

> Sam Nelson, Comp Sci, Stirling U, FK9 4LA, Scotland        ,->0->M
> Email: [email-masked]      Pager: 0839 456640      I->3-+->2->R=->-+->4->O
> Tel:   +44 1786 467443    Fax: +44 1786 464551             `->1->S=->-'
> URL:   http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~sam                R$+@$+  $@smtp$#$2$:$1@$2

DISCLAIMER: respondent has connections with Y&Y

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 13:59:29 MST
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #2

You wrote:
> From: "Dr. Ke Chen" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:11:18 +0800 (GMT+0800)
> Subject: latex2e IEEEtran macro wanted.
> 
> I found the previous IEEEtran.sty did not work in LaTex2e. Some days ago,
> a person sent me his own new IEEEtran.sty but there are a few problems
> such as that the title of section is always typeset with a small font,
> etc. As a result, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where
> a complete IEEEtran macro in latex2e is available.
> 
> Ke Chen
> 
> #========================================================================#
> # Dr. Ke Chen, Associate Professor         Tel:   +86-10-2751935(O)      #
> # National Lab of Machine Perception              +86-10-2585703(H)      #
> # The Center of Information Science        Fax:   +86-10-2563883,2552779 #
> # Peking University                        Email: [email-masked]    #
> # Beijing 100871, China                           [email-masked]      #
> #========================================================================#

I have a version I modified to make an IEEEtran.cls.  I haven't tested it
extensively, but for what I've done it seems to work.  If someone can
provide a place to post it to, I'd be more than willing to have it 
distributed.

- --
Jon Dixon
[email-masked]
http://spot.colorado.edu/~dixonj/

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Ke Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:20:40 +0800 (GMT+0800)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #2

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Jonathan Dixon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 13:59:29 MST
> From: Jonathan Dixon <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #2
> 
> You wrote:
> > From: "Dr. Ke Chen" <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:11:18 +0800 (GMT+0800)
> > Subject: latex2e IEEEtran macro wanted.
> > 
> > I found the previous IEEEtran.sty did not work in LaTex2e. Some days ago,
> > a person sent me his own new IEEEtran.sty but there are a few problems
> > such as that the title of section is always typeset with a small font,
> > etc. As a result, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where
> > a complete IEEEtran macro in latex2e is available.
> > 
> > Ke Chen
> > 
> I have a version I modified to make an IEEEtran.cls.  I haven't tested it
> extensively, but for what I've done it seems to work.  If someone can
> provide a place to post it to, I'd be more than willing to have it distributed.
> 
> --
> Jon Dixon
> [email-masked]
> http://spot.colorado.edu/~dixonj/
> 

Thanks very much for your kind response. I think you might upload it
to CTAN archives. In addition, I would appreciate it if you would send
this macro to me by email for my immediate use.

Ke Chen
#========================================================================#
# Dr. Ke Chen, Associate Professor         Tel:   +86-10-2751935(O)      #
# National Lab of Machine Perception              +86-10-2585703(H)      #
# The Center of Information Science        Fax:   +86-10-2563883,2552779 #
# Peking University                        Email: [email-masked]    #
# Beijing 100871, China                           [email-masked]      #
#========================================================================#

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (DoHoon Lee)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 19:02:12 KST
Subject: spell checker for sun(UNIX)

I am looking for spell checker utility for LaTeX.
Does anybody know where this be found ? Or 
If you have spell checker for LaTeX, please let me got it.
Thanks in advance,

Dohoon Lee
============================================================
Dept. of Computer Science
Pusan National University
Pusan 609-735, Korea
[email-masked]
============================================================

------------------------------

From: Kris Lockyear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:17:08 PST
Subject: permille, fractions, space, \afterpage and procs

Could anyone help me with five queries?  The first two are perhaps simple, the last  two I am unsure about.  FYI I am using 
LaTeX2e with emTeX on a PC.

1)  How can I get a permille sign (like a percent sign but with two zeros -- 0/00).  I scanned the tables in The Companion and 
The Book but don't see it.

2) How can I get nice in-text fractions?  By that I mean not 1/2 which $1/2$ would give you, or  \frac{1}{2},  but a fraction 
where there is a small 1, a diagonal line and a small 2.  (I usually use the Times package and a PS laserprinter).

3) I have a chapter which is nearly all text with some headings/sub-headings and footnotes.  In places, LaTeX has increased 
the white space between paragraphs or around sub-headings in order to place a \section at the top of a page.  This looks very 
ugly and I would rather have a little extra white space at the bottom of the page, than extra white space between paragraphs. 
 Is there any way I can stop LaTeX adding this extra space?

4) In another chapter I have a lot of tables and figures.  Following advice in The Companion, I often use 
\afterpage{\clearpage} to flush out the figures etc.  Unfortunately, this occasionally results in a blank page with the header 
at the top, and a footnote at the bottom.  Any suggestions?

5) Lastly, later this year I have to produce a set of conference proceedings.  Could I have some pointers to classes/packages 
and/or articles which would enable me to do this in LaTeX2e.  Specifically, including authors names and addresses in paper 
titles and the TOC etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Kris Lockyear.

------------------------------

From: Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 14:36:53 +0000
Subject: Table of contents, TUGboat 16(2)

It appears that we (the TUGboat production team) did not post this
table of contents.  Apologies to all ...

                   TUGboat

                   Volume 16, Number 2 / June 1995
                   Guest Editor:   Malcolm Clark 
                   ================================

Addresses                                                         99

General Delivery
     Michel~Goossens                                             101
        Opening words
     Malcolm~Clark
        Introduction                                             101

Theme Issue on Portability of Electronic Documents 

     Michel~Goossens and Janne~Saarela
	A practical introduction to SGML                         103
     Peter~Flynn
        HTML & TeX: Making them sweat                            146
     Geeti~Granger
        The inside story of life at Wiley with SGML,             151
	    LaTeX and Acrobat
     Mark~D.~Doyle
        The Los Alamos e-print archives:        
	HyperTeX in action                                       154
     Otfried~Schwarzkopf
        The Hyperlatex story                                     159
     Yannis~Haralambous and Sebastian~Rahtz
	LaTeX, hypertext and PDF, or the entry of TeX
	into the world of hypertext                              162
     Michel~Goossens and Janne~Saarela
	TeX to HTML and back                                     174

News & Announcements

  Calendar                                                       215
  Late-Breaking News
     Mimi~Burbank and Barbara Beeton
          Production notes                                       100
          Coming next issue                                      

TUG Business
     Institutional members                                       217

Forms
     TUG membership application

Advertisements
     TeX consulting and production services                      218
     Index of advertisers                                        218

%%% end of file 

------------------------------

From: Michel Goossens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 00:44:11 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Announcing TUG'96 in Dubna (Russia) July 28-Aug 2 1996

======================================================================

                The 17th Annual TeX Users Group Meeting

                polyglot               polytechnic

                polymath    POLY-TeX   polymath

                polytechnic            polyglot

                    July 28-- August 2, 1996

                     in JINR, Dubna, Russia 

              Organized jointly by: TUG, CyrTUG, JINR

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

======================================================================
Dear TeX Friends!

So the time has arrived when TeX, the Polyglot, who has for many years
happily ``spoken'' many different languages written in the Latin
alphabet, extends its knowledge in the field of other alphabets. 
During the Summer of 1996, a visit is planned to Russia where TeX 
will have its first practical session in Cyrillic.

Russia is that large country, with its enormous spaces, inhabited by
those enigmatic Russians, who started the century with a Revolution,
and ended it with ``Perestroyka''.  A country who founded a brilliant
mathematical school, colonized the Cosmos, and conquered the world
with its literature, music, and ballet.

So what awaits the TeX user who plans to attend TUG'96?

At Moscow's international Sheremetevo-2 Airport, conference
participants will be met by a member of the organizing committee and
escorted by bus to Dubna, where from July 28 to August 2, the 17th TUG
conference will take place (see below for more about Dubna). If, for
some reason or another, you envision cold, the taiga, and white bears,
then we can reassure you, Dubna is in the European part of Russia, and
if you want to see the ice on the nordic oceans, you will have to
travel further than you would to reach the subtropics of the Black Sea
shore. Indeed, you will soon find that the pine forest in which the
comfortable town of Dubna is situated will remind you of a park. In
July and August, the weather is mostly warm and sunny, with an average
temperature of 28 degrees Centigrade.  Guests will be housed in a
comfortable hotel on the banks of the Volga river in single or double
rooms (hot water, shower, telephone, and television). The Russian
``cuisine'' is characterized by its abundance, so one can forget about
slimming.

The social program includes a picnic on the picturesque banks of the
Volga, where we will be taken by boat, a bus excursion to Sergiev
Posad (the center of the Russian Orthodox Church, where Andrey
Slephkhin works--- see his article on page 373 of TUGboat 16#4 or the
EuroTeX'95 proceedings page 331), and, on the last day a visit to
Moscow, following which the participants can be dropped of at the
airport to fly home, or at one of the railway stations, if they want
to prolong their visit.

The conference's preliminary program will be announced as soon as we
receive from you, dear readers, proposals for presentations, courses
that you would like to teach or attend, poster sessions, or any
problem(s) or subject(s) that interest you. Please send your
suggestions to the conference electronic address 

[email-masked]
=================

The theme of the Conference is: PolyTeX, TeX or the art of
multi-lingual, maths and technical typesetting.

                polyglot               polytechnic

                polymath    POLY-TeX   polymath

                polytechnic            polyglot

===================
PROGRAM COMMITTEE
===================

Evgeniy Vasilievitch Pankratiev                Moscow, Russia
  Email:   [email-masked]

Michel Goossens                                Geneva, Switzerland
  Email:   [email-masked] 

Mimi Burbank                                   Florida, USA 
  Email:   [email-masked]

===========
DEADLINES
===========

Submission of abstracts                        February  20 <<<<<<<
                                               
Acceptance signified to authors                February  29 <<<<<<<

Preliminary articles                           March     31 <<<<<<<

Proposals for workshops, demos,
   and  poster sessions                        April     20

Registration and transfer of a 
non-refundable sum of $100  
per person to a Dubna bank                     May       31

Visa supporting information                    June       5

Revised articles                               June      10 <<<<<<<

Start of Conference                            July      28     

======================
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
======================

Vladimir Vasilievitch Korenkov                Dubna, Russia
  Email:   [email-masked] 

Irina Anatolievna Makhovaya                   Moscow, Russia
  Email:   [email-masked]

Sebastian Rahtz                               Oxford, UK
  Email:   [email-masked]

======================
PRACTICAL INFORMATION
=======================

- - ----------------
Conference costs
- - ----------------

The Conference Committee foresees a cost in the range 550--600 USD.
This sum includes the complete cost of the conference, namely the
registration fee, lodging (6 nights with six breakfasts, lunches, and
dinners), coffee/tea breaks, social events, and transport from
Sheremetevo Airport to Dubna.  The payment should be made in the
following way: a `non-refundable' sum of $100 per person should be
transferred to a bank account (to be announced) before June 1st.
After receipt of that sum an official invitation, necessary for
obtaining a visa (see below), will be faxed to the participant.  The
rest will be payable in cash upon arrival at the Conference (no credit
cards or cheques can be used in Dubna).  %For participants of
economically weaker countries or for students %we hope to arrange
partial support via sponsors.  We hope to arrange bursary funds for
support of students and those participants who demonstrate need.

- - -----
Visas
- - -----

Most of the visitors from outside Russia will need a visa to attend
the Conference. Therefore, for arranging a visa into Russia,
participants should inform the
 
    Mrs. N. Dokalenko, Conference Secretariat
    E-mail [email-masked]; 
    Fax 7 095 975 2381 or 7 09621 65 891 

of their and (possibly) the accompanying person(s)'s full name, date
of birth, citizenship, passport number, arrival and departure dates.
The Secretariat will forward by fax the visa support message to the
participants with which they should apply for visas to the nearest
Russian Embassy or Consulate.  Please note that you should apply for a
visa valid for Dubna, Moscow, and Sergiev Posad. (If you plan to visit
other cities in Russia you should obtain the relevant documents and
join them to the visa application, so that the names of all places to
be visited can be entered on the visa form as required.)

- - --------------
Transportation
- - --------------

The Organizing Committee will arrange direct transportation by bus
from the Sheremetevo-2 Airport to Dubna (130 km north of Moscow).  The
Secretariat should be informed of the flight number, precise date and
time of arrival (Moscow time) `no later than' four working days before
a participant wishes to be met at the airport.  It is our intention to
have each participant met by a member of Organizing Committee.
Details will be available later.

====================
WELCOME TO DUBNA !
====================

Dubna was founded in 1956 when the Convention establishing the Joint
Institute for Nuclear Research was signed. The town is situated on the
picturesque banks of the Volga river and the Moscow sea 120 km to the
north of Moscow. One can reach Dubna from Moscow within 2 hours going
by car, by bus or by express train. It will take you 1.5 hours to go
to Dubna from the Sheremetevo-2 International Airport.  Waterways
connect Dubna not only to the Russian Volga cities, but also to the
waters of the Black, the Caspian, the Baltic and the White seas.

There is no harmful environmental impact from the industrial plants;
this together with the large tracts of forest in the environs of
Dubna, and the vast water area dotted with small islands, makes the
area quite attractive for tourism and rest.  The Volga embankment is
one of the prettiest parts of the town.  In springtime, the streets of
Dubna are full of the odour of lilacs, the apple trees are pink-white;
in summer, lime trees, maples, birch trees and poplars make the town
seem totally green; in autumn the town is all golden excepting the
evergreen of old pine trees. The town's modern look harmonizes with
the quietness of the surrounding forest. The town was built in the
midst of a forest.  There are separate patches of trees in the town
itself, and the town park is just a part of the forest. It takes just
a few minutes to get to the forest from the shopping centre on foot. A
few minutes' walk and you are outside the city limits!

Small as it is, Dubna is a real metropolis. It is a scientific
metropolis. It is a ``big little city'', as a visiting American
scientist called it many years ago.  Since the foundation of the Joint
Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR), the name of Dubna has
constantly been in the pages of the world's newspapers and journals.
Dubna is one of the world centres for fundamental research in nuclear
physics.  The Joint Institute plays an important role as a coordinator
of investigations of the scientists from 18 JINR member-state
institutes.  Wide international scientific and technical cooperation
is one of the fundamental concepts of the JINR.

Dubna is indeed a town of international friendship. Foreign speech can
be heard everywhere. But the words, no matter in which language they
are pronounced, are clear to everybody: friendly cooperation and
fraternity unite all the physicists and mathematicians living and
working in Dubna into an international scientific community.

On October 3, 1994, Dubna opened its doors to its first university,
``International University of Dubna: Nature, Society and Man''.  The
university is composed of five "cathedra" or faculties, including
socioeconomic sciences, ecology and earth science, computer education,
linguistics, and health and physical education.  Two more faculties---
law and government and technology--- are also being contemplated.

The town has great experience in holding international conferences,
and exchanges of delegations between countries in the sphere of
science, education and culture. Dubna and La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA,
are sister cities. Dubna is famous for its hospitality. Famous
scientists, public figures and statesmen from different countries
visit Dubna. They are always impressed by the gracious welcome they
receive in Dubna and warm generosity which Dubna residents
demonstrate.

=======================
A FEW WORDS ON MOSCOW
=======================

Moscow, the capital of Russia, has a population of some nine million
people. It is a city rich in cultural, architectural and historical
monuments, and, at the same time, boasts a rapidly developing modern
urban community with brand new blocks of flats, long, straight and
broad avenues, parks, gardens, stadiums, schools, cinemas, department
stores, recreation centres, bridges and highways. Though
forward-looking, it cherishes the memory of its past, and its old
sections lend it a special charm.

Michel Goossens / TUG President

------------------------------

End of TeXhax Digest V96 #3
***************************

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax
If you have problems with un/subscribing, please mail [email-masked]

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include, among others,
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest back issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

\bye