Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #16
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:52:02 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Monday, 27 Nov 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 16
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                       TeX with an SGML syntax?
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #15
 Re: METAFONT versions of courier and times? (TeXhax Digest V95 #15)
               invisible printing / figure separations
                   Keeping signature lines attached
                               A-tilde
                           A-tilde (reply)
        tex directory structure draft version 0.104 available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 26 Oct 1995 14:15:28 -0700
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeX with an SGML syntax?

I read about new implementations of TeX and of all kinds of tools for
converting TeX to and from SGML (e.g., HTML) syntax.  This makes me
wonder if anyone is working on grafting an SGML syntax onto a new
version/implementation of TeX.  It seems to me that this would give
TeX a much bigger future.  Old TeX files could be converted to the new
syntax.

A new syntax would present a good opportunity to revamp the macro
system, either replacing it with a more robust macro system (no
fragile macros) or replacing it with a tcl-like functional language;
the point being to make writing TeX extensions less of a black art.

So, anyone working on this, or feeling inspired?  Comments?

_Greg

J. Greg Davidson        Institute for Software Research and Development
+1 (619) 452-8059       6231 Branting Street  San Diego, CA  92122  USA
 
[email-masked] (or [email-masked])
[email-masked]

        *****************************************************
        *   Member of the League for Programming Freedom.   *
        *                                                   *
        *   [email-masked]      http://www.lpf.org        *
        *       E-Mail              World Wide Web          *
        *****************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:50:38 +0100
From:    Chris Rowley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #15

Sebastian wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:08:40 +0100
> From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V95 #14
> 
>  > have not been officially checked and known to work with LaTeX2e,
>  > e.g. multind.sty (p.365),index.doc (p.367) and bibunits.sty (p.386) --
>  > to be found in macros/latex209/contrib/misc but nowhere in the 2e
> mainly cos LaTeX2e didnt exist when they wrote the book :-}
> 
The whole companion and the German version have for some time now been
typeset with the new standard LaTeX, and all the packages described
are used therein.  This does not imply that any particular package is
well-adapted to the new version but we have neither the time nor the
affrontery to update other people's work: we do provide a lot of
information about how to do this.

>  > 
>  > Where are these standard procedures documented so that a person can
>  > find out what they are?
> in the instructions for LaTex2e; see eg 00readme.txt....
or such aptly named files as bugs.txt and latexbug.tex: easy isn't it:-)?

Chris Rowley  ---  On behalf of the LaTeX3 Project Team

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:41:46 -0800
From:    [email-masked] (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Re: METAFONT versions of courier and times? (TeXhax Digest V95 #15)

I suspect it would be formally a violation of license to publicize
a METAFONT version even of the IBM Courier that has been made
publicly availble through the X Consortium, and I am sure that it
would be a violation of license in the case of Times---any Times,
even Nimbus.  

But you can certainly get the Courier off the net, and you may
very well have a Times on a pass-through license with your
operating system.  Make sure the Courier you get hold of is
a PaintType 0 {filled outline) font and not a PaintType 3 (vector).

Ps2mf will give you a working METAFONT.  I would use t1ascii rather
than the three-stage converters that come with the ps2mf package, 
and there are some other cautions as well, but when it works, 
ps2mf is neat stuff.

Cautions:
   It won't affect either of the fonts you are asking about unless
   you choose to use the Bitstream versions, but Bitstream uses
   a clearly legitimate PostScript construction that ps2mf
   can't handle.  

   Rasterized pk files compiled from the generally available ps2mf
   are immense, because all the hints are stored as specials in
   the pk file.  I have a version (which I don't want to release
   until I have the Bitstream-related problem solved) which allows
   you to switch off the specials in everything other than proof
   mode.  This makes sense, because once a font has already been
   rasterized, hints are of no use at all.  Keep the specials
   out and pk files derived from ps2mf input are quite reasonable.

   I have always assumed that suppliers are not seriously 
   concerned about private in-house conversions of their licensed
   fonts, but I have little doubt that they would take a dim
   view of the conversions being passed about freely.  Actually,
   I can hardly see why Bitstream would care.  At @ $40.00
   for the 500-font CDROM, Bitstream fonts can hardly do more than
   pay for the mastering of the CDROM. It is the most absolute
   bargain in fonts today. 

- -- 
%=======================================================================%
|                             N O T I C E                               |
|  Please note the changes in address and telephone number below.       |
|  There is no Northwest Computing Support Center any longer.           |
|  Until further notice, I shall be continuing to provide tape          |
|  distributions  and whatever other services I can.                    |
|                                                                       |
%=======================================================================%
Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software may be sent 
To:     [email-masked]                Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Department of Classics                  Emeritus Druid for
        Denny Hall, Mail Stop DH-10             Unix-flavored TeX
        University of Washington
        Seattle, WA 98195
        (206) 543-2268 (Message recorder)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 01 Nov 1995 17:05:35 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Bruce Leban)
Subject: invisible printing / figure separations

I want to be able to print a TeX file with all of the text omitted.
It sounds weird, but I want to print pages with color figures and the
output from the color printer is not high enough quality for the text.
The idea is to print the pages twice:

        1) print the pages with the figures deleted
           --- easy enough by replacing each figure with a box of the
               appropriate size; an easy hack to do this for EPSF figures
               is to replace each EPSF file with a dummy version that 
               contains just the %!EPSF and %%BoundingBox lines.
        2) print the pages with only the figures
           --- this is the problem; obviously I can carefully write code
               to position the picture at just the right place for each
               page but this is tedious.

Any suggestions that would make this easier?

Hacking the postscript output to disable the show command won't work: some
of the figures contain text and this must be printed with the figure, not
with the body text. (The figures only use fonts not used in the text, so
disabling specific fonts could work.)

Looking in the TeXhax archives, I found a similar request in TeXhax 93.16,
but no answer.  FYI, I am using TeX C 2.9 (on a DEC workstation) and
Textures 1.7 (on a Mac), both with LaTeX 2.09.

        --- Bruce
        [email-masked]  @somerville.mass.usa.earth

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 01 Nov 1995 16:30:16 -0700
From:    [email-masked] (D. R. Evans)
Subject: Keeping signature lines attached

Can anyone suggest how to solve the following problem in plain TeX?

When one typesets a letter, the end of it looks more or less like this:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

                      Yours thingummy

                               Fred Bloggs

My question is: 
  How can one ensure that the "Yours thingummy" and the "Fred Bloggs"
always appear on the same page as at least a couple of lines of text from
the letter?

One can put the whole last paragraph in a vbox, along with the thingummy 
and Bloggs lines, but that's not very good if the paragraph is long, 
because then the whole lot might get moved to the next page, instead of 
just the last few lines of the paragraph and the thingummy and Bloggs 
lines.

Putting the question another way (to try to make sure that there is no
misunderstanding), I want to make sure that instead of:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

- --- Page Break  ---

                      Yours thingummy

                               Fred Bloggs

if the page happens to want naturally break at the point, TeX should do 
something intelligent such as:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

- --- Page Break ---

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 
 
                     Yours thingummy

                               Fred Bloggs

Thanks for any help.

- --------------------------------------------------------
D.R. Evans NQ0I / G4AMJ : [email-masked]
                          [email-masked]

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://spot.colorado.edu/~romigj/drevans.html
- --------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 24 Nov 1995 12:47:39 +0000
From:    "R. Allan Reese" <[email-masked]>
Subject: A-tilde

Just curious, but relevant to a problem I'm working on:
which European language(s) use a with tilde accent?  Please don't
send more than an odd example word - I don't want to learn the
language, only identify it/them.

R. Allan Reese                         Email: [email-masked]
Head of Applications, Computer Centre  Direct voice:    +44 1482 465296 
Hull University                        Voice messages:  +44 1482 465685
Hull HU6 7RX,  U.K.                    Fax:             +44 1482 466441

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 24 Nov 1995 12:57:53 +0000
From:    "R. Allan Reese" <[email-masked]>
Subject: A-tilde (reply)

... and the next person I asked said immediately Portuguese, which I
should have known -eg, S\~ao Paulo.

Any others?

R. Allan Reese                         Email: [email-masked]
Head of Applications, Computer Centre  Direct voice:    +44 1482 465296 
Hull University                        Voice messages:  +44 1482 465685
Hull HU6 7RX,  U.K.                    Fax:             +44 1482 466441

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:24:56 -0500
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: tex directory structure draft version 0.104 available

Draft revision 0.104 of the proposed standard TeX Directory Structure
(TDS) is available for public review. You can get it by anonymous ftp from
  ftp.cs.umb.edu:/pub/tex/tds/tds.dvi (also tds.ps, etc.)

Also from:
  ftp.th-darmstadt.de:/pub/tex/TDS/standard/

And shortly thereafter from any CTAN host in /tex-archive/tds/standard
- -- ftp.dante.de, ftp.tex.ac.uk, ftp.shsu.edu, and their mirrors. finger
ctan at one of these hosts for a complete list of mirrors, etc.

The directory in darmstadt also has a subdirectory `papers' containing
other items that may be of interest.

We plan to fix any reported problems over the next few days, and then
submit this next week for the next issue of TUGboat. 

Comments and suggestions are welcome.  Please communicate them by email to
    [email-masked]

or by paper mail to
    Karl Berry / 135 Center Hill Road / Plymouth, MA 02360 / USA

The primary purpose of this document is to describe a standard TeX
Directory Structure (TDS) for macros, fonts, and other such
implementation-independent TeX files.  It also suggests ways to
incorporate the rest of the TeX files into a single structure.  We hope
that administrators and developers of both free and commercial
implementations of TeX will adopt this standard.  It has been designed
to work on all modern systems.  In particular, this Technical Working
Group (TWG) believes it is usable under Unix, MS-DOS, OS/2, MacOS, and VMS.

- -- the TUG Technical Working Group on a TeX Directory Structure (TWG-TDS)

Since the entire standard is only about 40K gzipped, I've attached it to
this message. (If you do not have GNU gzip/gunzip, you can get them from
prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu and mirrors, if you care.)

#!/bin/sh
# This is a shell archive (produced by GNU sharutils 4.1).
# To extract the files from this archive, save it to some FILE, remove
# everything before the `!/bin/sh' line above, then type `sh FILE'.
#
# Made on 1995-11-15 20:06 EST by <karl@fosse>.
# Source directory was `/u/w/tds'.
#
# Existing files will *not* be overwritten unless `-c' is specified.
#
# This shar contains:
# length mode       name
# ------ ---------- ------------------------------------------
#  77596 -rw-rw-rw- tds.dvi
#
touch -am 1231235999 $$.touch >/dev/null 2>&1
if test ! -f 1231235999 && test -f $$.touch; then
  shar_touch=touch
else
  shar_touch=:
  echo
  echo 'WARNING: not restoring timestamps.  Consider getting and'
  echo "installing GNU \`touch', distributed in GNU File Utilities..."
  echo
fi
rm -f 1231235999 $$.touch
#
# ============= tds.dvi ==============
if test -f 'tds.dvi' && test X"$1" != X"-c"; then
  echo 'x - skipping tds.dvi (file already exists)'
else
  echo 'x - extracting tds.dvi (gzipped)'
  sed 's/^X//' << 'SHAR_EOF' | uudecode &&
SHAR_EOF
  echo 'gunzipping file tds.dvi' &&
  gzip -d < _shargzi.tmp > 'tds.dvi' && rm -f _shargzi.tmp &&
  $shar_touch -am 1115195195 'tds.dvi' &&
  chmod 0666 'tds.dvi' ||
  echo 'restore of tds.dvi failed'
  shar_count="`wc -c < 'tds.dvi'`"
  test 77596 -eq "$shar_count" ||
    echo "tds.dvi: original size 77596, current size $shar_count"
fi
exit 0

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 16]
*****************************************