Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #11
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 12:51:22 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Wednesday, 14 Jun 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 11
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                          Deskjet 520 vs 500
               Location of texinfo.tex v2.134 or later
              Lines after figures and space after \input
          Using TeX abd LaTex with Open VMS AXP 6.1 systems
     [comp.programming.literate] web-mode, emacs, pull-down menus
                  ANNOUNCEMENT: The LaTeX Navigator
             test release of new PostScript font metrics
                 A basic SYMBOL encoding for afm2tfm
           [comp.text.tex] New TeX distribution from Knuth
                              EuroTeX'95
                 Installation of Knuth's 1995 release
                  ANNOUNCEMENT: gsftopk version 1.10
                 Babel release 3.5 Beta now available
               Announcing: TWG-TDS Draft Standard 0.98

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 May 1995 13:52:58 +0000
From:    John Rostron <[email-masked]>
Subject: Deskjet 520 vs 500

I have been using the EmTex dvihplj driver successfully on a Deskjet 
500 for some time. I now have a Deskjet 520 and I find that it will 
not print on the bottom inch of the page! All my other software seems 
to behave exactly as before.

I have tried the /t option, but this has no effect. The bottom inch 
remains blank. The only way I can get a footline is to print the page 
up-side-down. This works, but it means that I end up with a rather 
lop-sided looking page.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 May 1995 11:26:36 +0000
From:    Bill Peel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Location of texinfo.tex v2.134 or later

Can anyone help me obtain a copy of texinfo.tex v2.134 or later so
that I can process latex2e.texi. I have looked on CTAN and the
latest version I can find is v2.124. I know that it comes with v19
of EMACS but I don't want to download 8MB for a 100k text file.

Thanks

        Bill Peel

Bill Peel         |  Computing Services
[email-masked]  |  Manchester Metropolitan University
                  |  Chester Street
                  |  Manchester M1 5GD
                  |  England

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 07 Jun 1995 16:50:50 +0100
From:    "K.Lockyear" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lines after figures and space after \input

Dear all,

I am currently completing my PhD using LaTeX2e (emTeX 386 on a PC) and
have a couple of queries.  Firstly, I would quite like to have a thin
rule between my floats and my main text.  Is there a package that will
do this? I am using the excellent caption package to put the text in
small and the _Figure 1.1_ in bold.  Some of my captions are, however,
quite long and it would be nice to seperate them from the main text. 

Secondly, I have put my footnotes in seperate files which are then
incorporated into the main text using \input.  (This is to make counting
words *not* including the footnotes easier).  For some reason this
creates a larger than normal space after the footnotemark in the main
text which looks mighty ugly.  I have made sure that there is no extra
space or lines after the end of the footnote in the \input file.

Lastly, I am using the Chicago bibliography package.  I have a number of
publications where the the year is a range, ie.  year="1988--1989".  If
I use this form in the BiBTeX file I get (Bloggs 1989) in the text, but

Bloggs, F. (1988--1989) 

in the bibliography.  If I put year="1988--89" in the bibtex file I get
(Bloggs 8 89) in the text.  What I ideally would like is the format in
the text and bibliography to be the same, either 1988--89, 1988--1988 or
whatever. 

Hope someone can help me!  Please can you mail me direct at
[email-masked]

Many thanks in advance,  Kris Lockyear.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jun 1995 12:02:26 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Using TeX and LaTex with Open VMS AXP 6.1 systems

               We are replacing our central VMS 5.5-2 node with an OpenVMS
AXP 6.1 central node.

               We are currently using Tex and LaTeX on the VAX VMS system.

               We would sincerely appreciate any  details (if available) of the
best way to use the latest version of TeX and LATeX with OpenVMS AXP 6.1
systems.

With many sincere thanks,

Dominic Murdock,
Systems Support
Computer Centre,
Saint Patrick's College,
Maynooth,
Co. Kildare,
IRELAND

------------------------------

Date:    26 May 1995 01:34:00 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Bart Childs)
Subject: [comp.programming.literate] web-mode, emacs, pull-down menus

I have just placed wm-menu.tar.gz on the machine

ftp.cs.tamu.edu

in directory  pub/tex-web/web/EMACS.web-mode.

Leslie Stoneham did this extension to web-mode as part of her
M.S. plan of study.  It is an extension of web-mode.el that was
originally done by Mark Motl and I now maintain.

When using emacs-19, it extends the menu bar that shows at the top
to allow most of the web-mode functionality via pull down menus.
It was developed and used on SunOS, AIX, and Solaris.  It should
be portable.

The file contains the web-menu.el and a directory which includes
her report.  I warn against executing latex on the file since it
uses a local thesis style file.  The dvi file is included and
bunches of bitmaps (in ps form) that are included.  A short
modification to web-mode.el is described in the report that is
required for existing versions of web-mode.el.

In a couple of weeks I should be able to redo that directory
such that one retrieval of web-mode will get all.

We have primarily used it with FWEB and CWEB.  Please let me
know of any problems you have with it.  Leslie has a job and
leaves these hallowed halls later this week.

Bart Childs

------------------------------

Date:    22 May 1995 19:40:15 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Denis B. Roegel)
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: The LaTeX Navigator

            *****************************************
            ********* THE LATEX NAVIGATOR ***********
            *****************************************

                =>  http://www.loria.fr/tex <=

This is to announce a WWW site completely devoted to TeX and friends.
The site is located at the LORIA research center at Nancy, France,
which is also a CTAN mirror (ftp.loria.fr, cd ctan:).
The main purpose of ``The LaTeX Navigator'' is to provide documentation
about macros, packages, formats, tools, TeX engines, to give pointers, etc.
Currently more than 200 .dvi or .ps files are proposed and this amount
is constantly growing. (therefore any contribution or idea of contribution
will be most welcome)

The top pages are written in three languages: french, english and german
and you can choose which you like, though the underlying documents
are mostly in english (except our local guide). The german pages
are far from perfect, but we will improve that soon ...

The top english page shows the following items:

     General documentation about (La)TeX 
     The (La)TeX local guide of our site (LORIA) (in French) 
     Bibliography and indexes 
     Literate programming 
     Classes 
     Macros and packages 
     Fonts and symbols 
     Graphics 
     Formats and tools 
     Engines and distributions 
     Historical documents 
     FAQs, ftp, miscellaneous ... 
     File search on the CTAN archive (ftp.loria.fr) 
     WWW servers dedicated to (La)TeX 

Feel free to wander through these pages and don't hesitate to report
problems to [email-masked] (for instance unreadable files, 
or files using unusual fonts for instance).

Denis Roegel, Jean-Michel Antoine and Karl Tombre
authors of The LaTeX Navigator
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 28 May 1995 01:17:51 +0100
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: test release of new PostScript font metrics

Over the last 9 months, a group of people have been working on a
revamp of TeX font metrics for PostScript fonts. We are now ready
(finally!) to release this, together with a new release of the
PSNFSS package for LaTeX2e, and a new version of the Berry fontnaming
scheme. The maintainers of PSNFSS, fontinst, web2c, and dvips all urge
you to start using this new setup, so that all the bothersome variants
can be abolished by the end of the year.

The entire distribution is on the CTAN hosts in
fonts/psfonts.beta. Its big - don't pull all the files on spec!
Get what you need. Prepackaged sets for Textures users will be made
available very shortly.

These files will replace both the LaTeX PSNFSS (currently on CTAN in
fonts/metrics) and the font metrics distributed with dvips.  Both of
these packages contained virtual fonts which more or less mimicked the
original TeX text encoding, and (in the case of PSNFSS) the Cork
encoding.  However, the two packages used different base fonts, thus
making previewing painful (and wasting disk space).  Now, everything
uses a single base font in a new encoding named 8r (see tools/8r.enc or
tools/8r.etx).

This new base encoding is *not* Adobe Standard Encoding, because that
does not provide access to all of the 228 characters normally supplied
with a Type 1 font.  Therefore, you must use a DVI-to-PostScript driver
which can perform reencoding, such as dvips(k), Y&Y's drivers, OzTeX,
Textures etc.

We are still contemplating whether the base encoding should be the
current one (mostly compatible with Windows), the texnansi encoding
promulgated by Y&Y (see tools/texnansi.vec), or something else.
Comments are welcome.

Aside from the base font, there are other small changes in the new
fonts.  For the Cork-encoded fonts, the stretch and shrink of the
interword spacing has been changed.  For the dvips fonts, the positions
of the preaccented characters have been fixed (e.g., Aring is at the
same position in every font).  Therefore, the font checksums are
different.  The actual character dimensions, however, remain unchanged.

The new fonts (mostly) have new names!  You can get the new fontname
distribution from ftp.cs.umb.edu:private/tex/fontname-*.tar.gz or in the
tools/ subdirectory of this distribution.

This distribution includes support the standard 35 fonts, various freely
available fonts (with type1's), and many commercial-only fonts (no
type1's).  Smallcaps and obliqued versions are available in bold and
normal variants, where applicable.  All fonts have ligatures and
kerning (no ``raw'' fonts); therefore, even the *8r base fonts can be
used for real typesetting. An experimental support is provided in
PSNFSS for this.

We built these fonts using both fontinst and afm2tfm (and other
utilities).  Both required changes, which will be merged into the next
releases.  See the tools/ directory if you want to reconstruct the
work. The changes to fontinst are extensive, and if you are not
confident you understand them, please wait until the author finds time
to merge them into a complete new release later this year.

*****************************************
Primary perpetrators: Sebastian Rahtz, Alan Jeffrey, Karl Berry.
Chief Tester and Bugfinder: Constantin Kahn.
Aiders and abettors: Tom Rokicki, Ciar\'an \'O Duibh\'{\i}n, Pierre MacKay,
  Rob Hutchings, Berthold Horn, Damian Cugley.

Please send any questions, comments, or suggestions
to [email-masked].  (Email [email-masked] to
join the list.)

Sebastian Rahtz
May 1995

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 29 May 1995 15:36:22 -0700
From:    [email-masked] (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: A basic SYMBOL encoding for afm2tfm

It is rare to need a custom encoding vector for the Symbol
font, but it can happen.  I couldn't find one the other day
so I made one up.  Here it is.

%
%   This is the SYMBOL encoding.  (Red Book, page 269)
%
%   Normally, you wouldn't need to bother with this, but if you 
%   run into software which requires an explicit encoding, or you
%   need to rearrange some of the symbols in this set, it is much
%   easier to start from the basic Adobe encoding.
%   This encoding vector is taken directly from Symbol.pfa, so
%   it should be correct.
%
%   All sorts of possibilities here.  For now just keep the part
%   that clears away any unwanted encoding around digits.
%
% LIGKERN space {} * ; * {} space ; zero {} * ; * {} zero ;
% LIGKERN one {} * ; * {} one ; two {} * ; * {} two ;
% LIGKERN three {} * ; * {} three ; four {} * ; * {} four ;
% LIGKERN five {} * ; * {} five ; six {} * ; * {} six ;
% LIGKERN seven {} * ; * {} seven ; eight {} * ; * {} eight ;
% LIGKERN nine {} * ; * {} nine ;
%
/SYMBOLEncoding [
% 0x00
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
% 0x10
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
% 0x20
/space /exclam /universal /numbersign /existential /percent /ampersand /suchthat 
/parenleft /parenright /asteriskmath /plus /comma /minus /period /slash 
% 0x30
/zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven 
/eight /nine /colon /semicolon /less /equal /greater /question 
% 0x40
/congruent /Alpha /Beta /Chi /Delta /Epsilon /Phi /Gamma 
/Eta /Iota /theta1 /Kappa /Lambda /Mu /Nu /Omicron 
% 0x50
/Pi /Theta /Rho /Sigma /Tau /Upsilon /sigma1 /Omega 
/Xi /Psi /Zeta /bracketleft /therefore /bracketright /perpendicular /underscore
 
% 0x60
/radicalex /alpha /beta /chi /delta /epsilon /phi /gamma 
/eta /iota /phi1 /kappa /lambda /mu /nu /omicron 
% 0x70
/pi /theta /rho /sigma /tau /upsilon /omega1 /omega 
/xi /psi /zeta /braceleft /bar /braceright /similar /.notdef
% 0x80
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
% 0x90
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
/.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef 
% 0xA0
/.notdef /Upsilon1 /minute /lessequal /fraction /infinity /florin /club 
/diamond /heart /spade /arrowboth /arrowleft /arrowup /arrowright /arrowdown 
% 0xB0
/degree /plusminus /second /greaterequal 
/multiply /proportional /partialdiff /bullet 
/divide /notequal /equivalence /approxequal 
/ellipsis /arrowvertex /arrowhorizex /carriagereturn 
% 0xC0
/aleph /Ifraktur /Rfraktur /weierstrass 
/circlemultiply /circleplus /emptyset /intersection 
/union /propersuperset /reflexsuperset /notsubset 
/propersubset /reflexsubset /element /notelement 
% 0xD0
/angle /gradient /registerserif /copyrightserif 
/trademarkserif /product /radical /dotmath 
/logicalnot /logicaland /logicalor /arrowdblboth 
/arrowdblleft /arrowdblup /arrowdblright /arrowdbldown 
% 0xE0
/lozenge /angleleft /registersans /copyrightsans 
/trademarksans /summation /parenlefttp /parenleftex 
/parenleftbt /bracketlefttp /bracketleftex /bracketleftbt 
/bracelefttp /braceleftmid /braceleftbt /braceex 
% 0xF0
/.notdef /angleright /integral /integraltp 
/integralex /integralbt /parenrighttp /parenrightex 
/parenrightbt /bracketrighttp /bracketrightex /bracketrightbt 
/bracerighttp /bracerightmid /bracerightbt /.notdef
] def

%=======================================================================%
|                             N O T I C E                               |
|  Please note the changes in address and telephone number below.       |
|  There is no Northwest Computing Support Center any longer.           |
|  Until further notice, I shall be continuing to provide tape          |
|  distributions  and whatever other services I can.                    |
|                                                                       |
%=======================================================================%
Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software may be sent 
To:     [email-masked]                Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Department of Classics                  Emeritus Druid for
        Denny Hall, Mail Stop DH-10             Unix-flavored TeX
        University of Washington
        Seattle, WA 98195
        (206) 543-2268 (Message recorder)

------------------------------

Date:    28 May 1995 06:36:54 +0000
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: [comp.text.tex] New TeX distribution from Knuth

I have just installed here (at ftp.tex.ac.uk) Knuth's 1995 TeX
distribution (tex version 3.14159, mf version 2.718, and any related
programs).

This covers all of the directory tree from tex-archive/systems/knuth,
with the exception of the new cm distributions.  Knuth has made some
changes to cm that necessitate me rebuilding all of the .pk files that
CTAN holds.  This may not be complete today (I do have other work to
do ;-)

The CTAN archives no longer mirror from labrea, since the new version
of TeX is only so far present in the tex alpha directory there (there
is no current schedule for installing the new distribution in its
`proper' place in labrea's directory structure).

Robin Fairbairns (for the CTAN team)

Robin (Campaign for Real Radio 3) Fairbairns     [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
<a href="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html">Private page</a>

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 30 May 1995 17:55:48 +0200
From:    Piet van Oostrum <[email-masked]>
Subject: EuroTeX'95

============
 EuroTeX'95
============

September 4-8
Arnhem, The Netherlands

Conference information
========================================================================

The TeX Toolbox

The EuroTeX conference 1995, including tutorials, will take place from
September 4th until September 8th in the Netherlands. The conference
will be held at Papendal, near the city of Arnhem.

Papendal is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the
Netherlands. Right in the middle of the vast woods of the province of
Gelderland. About eight kilometers west of Arnhem. Tucked away under
the lee of the green Veluwe-fringe.

The conference starts on September 4th in the afternoon and runs until
September 7th noon. Thursday afternoon and Friday September 8th are
reserved for tutorials.

The theme of the conference is: The TeX Toolbox.
                                ---------------

Preliminary program
- -------------------

(Items marked `*' are not confirmed yet)

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday a.m.

Welcome Reception and registration of conference attendants.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday p.m. (14:00-18:30)

Theme: I) Fonts

VFComb -- a program for design of virtual fonts
   S. Turtia, A.Berdikov

The Conversion of the Euler Metafont sources to PostScript Type1
   E.J. Vens

EC and DC fonts
   J. Knappen

EC math fonts, fontinst
   A. Jeffrey*

Theme: II) Multiple languages

A package for Church Slavonic type-setting
   A.F. Slepuhin

A Russian style for Babel: problems and solutions
   O. Lapko, I. Makhovaya

ScholarTeX
   Y. Haralambous

Status of Babel
   J. Braams

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday a.m. (9:00-12:30)

Theme: Graphics and packages

Graphics in TeX: a new implementation
   A.V. Astrelin

TeX Plotter -- program for creating 2D and 3D pictures
   S. Turtia, A. Berdikov

Packages for typesetting Commutative Diagrams
   G. Feruglio

Package for typesetting chemical diagrams
   J. Hagen

MusixTeX, a package for typesetting music
   D. Taupin*

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday p.m.

From 13:30-14:30: NTG meeting.

Theme: Electronic documents

Presentation of Acrobat
   W. Tierie

Producing electronic books? -- all you need is TeX!
   J. Hagen

SGML, a practical introduction
   M. Goossens

From LaTeX to HTML, and back
   M. Goossens

Style sheets (DSSSL,... )
   J. Andre

SGML, Acrobat, LATEX, HyperTeX
   S. Rahtz*

Panel discussion.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday a.m.

Theme: Tools I

DaTeX, TeX macros for storing and retrieving data
   R. Koning, S. Kliffen, A. Lenstra

TeX: an unsuitable language for document markup?
   P. Taylor

Blue's Data Bases
   K. van der Laan

Occam's razor and macro management
   L. Siebenmann

Formating Pascal using TeX
   P. Palao, M. Nunez

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday p.m.

Theme: General developments in TEX and LATEX

LaTeX3
   C. Rowley*

eTEX: A 100%-compatible successor to TeX.
   P. Taylor

NTS*
   P. Taylor*

Omega
   Y. Haralambous

tds
   *

Panel discussion.

From 16:00-???: the social event, still a secret...

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday a.m.

Theme: Tools II

\csname undefined \endcsname = relax: feature or flaw
   P. Taylor

Atomic fonts and electronic archiving of scientific documents
   L. Siebenmann

Duplex: a LaTeX based Cooperative Editing Environment
   F. Pacull

The W96 Environment
   A. Strejc

Indexing with `Any'TeX
   K. van der Laan

Metafont as generator of EPS graphics
   B. Jackowski

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday p.m. and Friday

Theme: Tutorials

Parallel sessions.

Sweet-TeX tutorial
   L. Siebenmann

Page layout in LaTeX
   P. van Oostrum

TeXing Paradigms
   K. van der Laan

BLU TeX
   K. van der Laan

Metafont/Metapost
   B. Jackowski

eTEX tutorial
   P. Taylor

Workshop on Acrobat and electronic document delivery
   M. Goossens & S. Rahtz

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting costs

The resistration fee includes the Welcome Reception on Monday, all lunches
from Monday to Thursday, all dinners from Monday to Wednesday and one copy
of the proceedings. One tutorial (1/2 day) is included in the conference
fee.  Extra tutorials cost Hfl 70 each. Lunch on Friday is Hfl 15.

The conference fee also includes the `social event' on Wednesday
afternoon and evening.

Conference rates:
- - members of TUG or Local TEX User Groups (please specify): Hfl 350
- - others: Hfl 425

Reservations of hotel rooms at the conference site can only be done by
the EuroTeX organisation committee. Papendal offers the following
accomodation:

- - single rooms Hfl 90 per day per person
- - double rooms Hfl 75 per day per person
- - quadruple rooms Hfl 50 per day per person
(breakfast included).

Accomodation is limited, so register as soon as possible.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get there

Papendal is located just outside the city of Arnhem. From Arnhem it can
be reached by bus or taxi in approximately 15 minutes. There is a train
going from Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) to Arnhem every 30 minutes.

The address is:

Papendal Nationaal Sport Centrum
fax +31 8308 21853
tel +31 8308 37911
P.O. Box 484
6800 AL Arnhem
The Netherlands

People coming from Russia, Poland or ... may be interested in the
EuroTeX Bus Project. On September 2nd a TeX bus will drive from Brest,
through Warsaw, through ...  to Arnhem, where it will arrive on Sunday
in the afternoon. Taking the bus will be extremely cheap. However,
seats are limited so register as soon as possible.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bursary fund

There is a Bursary Fund available for those who require financial
support to attend the meeting. While we cannot guarantee all requests
will be fulfilled, we will do our best to support as many as we can.

We encourage all conference attendants to contribute a small amount of
money to the Bursary Fund along with their registration fee.

More information about contributing to or applying to the Bursary Fund
can be obtained from the Dutch TeX Users Group, by e-mail
[email-masked], or by post: P.O. Box 394, 1740 AJ Schagen, The
Netherlands.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further information

Updates of this information will be sent to all known electronic TeX
related mailing lists and to all Local TeX User Groups. If you have
access to a WWW browser you can go to
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet/eurotex. There you can find the latest news,
a registration form and other useful information.
- -- 
Piet van Oostrum <[email-masked]>
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 01 Jun 1995 17:30:43 +0100
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: Installation of Knuth's 1995 release

I have now completed the installation of Knuth's 1995 release on CTAN
(I announced the interim installation of all but the fonts a while
back).  The installation has been done at ftp.tex.ac.uk; it should
propagate to the other CTANs in fairly short order (though I have
little evidence that propagation to ftp.shsu.edu is reliable just
now).

Barbara Beeton has supplied the following announcement text:

===========================================================================
  Date: 08 Mar 1995 18:22:30 -0800
  
  --------- ANNOUNCING THE 1995 UPDATE TO TeX, METAFONT, and FRIENDS --------
  I've just gone through all accumulated correspondence and made appropriate
  changes to the master TeX sources on my home computer. (I plan to do this
  again in February of 1998, 2002, 2007, etc.!) My files are grouped in two
  main subdirectories, "dist" and "local"; the former consists of the master
  WEB, TeX, METAFONT, Computer Modern, TeXware, and MFware sources, while
  the latter consists of my own change files and supplementary macros
  and fonts that other people might like to look at. These files fit into
  similarly named parts of the big TeX archive tree; they should replace
  their former counterparts. I don't know how to do this myself, not even
  at labrea, so I am hoping that all current maintainers of TeXnicalities
  will be alerted to the existence of this new material.  I've checked
  everything pretty carefully, so I don't think there's any need to wait
  until independent vetting has been done.
  
  TeX Version 3.14159 has four bug fixes, two of which are significant:
   1) fontmemsize can vary between formats dumped by INITEX and loaded by
      VIRTEX --- this problem had already been fixed by all the major
      implementations
   2) math kerns disappear again at line breaks, as they should --- this
      problem arose by mistake in version 3.1415.
   3) overflow won't occur when converting huge stretch/shrink amounts from
      real to integer --- again, implementors had fixed this
   4) you can have more than 32K font parameters without crashing TeX
      (nobody ever wanted so many, but a crash is a crash)
  
  METAFONT Version 2.718 has only one bug fix, but it corrects a problem
  in the linear-equation-solving engine that lost significant figures and
  caused spurious overflows; the bug had been present since version 0.1.
  I've written a letter to Barbara Beeton about this, and she can send you
  a copy if you need more information. The bug had only microscopic effect on
  Computer Modern fonts.
  
  Ten changes were made to the Computer Modern fonts, affecting nine of the
  master source files, but the changes are rather minor and nearly invisible
  to the eye. (Again they help reduce the chance of overflow.) I have been
  unhappy to see so many people still using the pre-1992 CM fonts, because
  I made MAJOR important improvements in that year, and I hate to run across
  the obsolete symbols in preprints that people send me! Anybody who hasn't
  installed CM fonts since 1991 should surely change now; and please help
  stamp out all copies of the old fonts that you see installed anywhere.
  (The lowercase delta is the main giveaway --- the new shape is vastly
  better than the old. Also arrows are now darker, and several calligraphic
  caps are improved, etc etc; the TFM files did not change, but the images
  got lots better.) On the other hand, if you do have the 1993-or-later
  version of the fonts, there's no need to replace old bitmaps. Just replace
  the old source files, and regenerate fonts from them at your leisure.
  
  There are new versions of DVItype (3.5), PLtoTF (3.5), and VPtoVF (1.4).
  DVItype now checks the DVI file more carefully in material that is
  skipped over (e.g., between pages).
  
  Plain TeX format, version 3.14159, has eight changes, but only the
  change to \bmod has a substantial probability of affecting existing
  .tex files. Accents \b and \d have gotten better in four ways.
  
  Barbara Beeton will be distributing reward checks to 20 people who were
  first to report significant errors in Volumes A--E. The big "sweepstakes"
  winners this year were Chris Thompson (Cambridge) and Bogus{\l}aw
  Jackowski (Gdansk), who received the maximum $327.68 reward for
  pointing out longstanding bugs in TeX and METAFONT, respectively.
  
  All sources are frozen and no future changes will be made unless a new,
  serious and easily fixable error is reported. The threshold for calling
  something a feature rather than a bug is rising exponentially and may
  be almost infinitely high when I do this exercise again in 1998! However,
  I do still promise to maintain these programs as long as I am able.
  
  Where can you find the new sources? At labrea.stanford.edu, in file
  ~ftp/alpha/tex95.tar.gz (slightly less than 3MB).
  
  Thanks to all of you for continued high quality support. -- Don Knuth 3/8/95
=============================================================================

The update I have performed started from the file Knuth mentions,
labrea.stanford.edu:ftp/alpha/tex95.tar.gz; I have only re-installed
things that have changed (as far as possible).

Of particular import is what I have done with the CM font changes.  We
have on the archive two directories which purport to hold CM sources
- -- systems/knuth/cm and fonts/cm/mf

systems/knuth/cm has almost nothing in it here, and what it does hold
is identical to the sources in fonts/cm/mf

I have therefore updated fonts/cm/mf, and not touched systems/knuth/lib

All other directories in Knuth's tar file are mapped to those on CTAN
by the transformations ./dist/* -> systems/knuth/*, ./local/* ->
systems/knuth/local/*

I have also rebuilt all of the files in fonts/cm/pk; I've included a
small README in that directory (not least to ensure that the next
person who has to do this job doesn't have to run around in such small
circles ;-).  I haven't regenerated the contents of fonts/cm/gf, and
have deleted the files that were there; that directory contained a
README saying that the files weren't there, and this seemed an
appropriate moment to align that statement with reality.

The README in fonts/cm/pk says:

========================================================================
  I have included in this directory what I believe to be the right sort
  of thing to match what was there already.  This is not to say that I'm
  terribly proud of it, but it seems about right.
  
  The pk300 fonts were generated using CanonCX mode from Karl Berry's
  modes.mf
  
  The pk300w fonts were generated using RicohFortyEighty mode from Karl
  Berry's modes.mf
  
  The pk240 fonts were generated using CanonLBPTen mode from Karl
  Berry's modes.mf (this differs from the "CanonLBP" used in the
  previous version in name only).
  
  The pk120 fonts were generated with the same parameters as were used
  in the previous version, though nothing with those parameters exists
  in Karl Berry's modes.mf; by analogy with the previous version, I've
  called this mode OneTwoZero.  I was not terribly surprised that
  several files gave me metafont errors with this mode; the most
  (apparently) serious were cmss12 and cmssi12, though several of the
  smaller-sized fonts had strange paths of one sort or another.
  
  I've included a slightly hacked copy of a Makefile which used to be in
  the directory ../gf300; I had to hack it because the original neither
  reflected the current `best' thinking about the way TeX systems should
  be organised, nor the way they're organised on our discs (which is
  different for hysterical raisins).
========================================================================

I believe that I've completed the job I undertook, but if anyone spots
problems with my work, they are welcome to get in touch with me by
mail (there's little point in taxing the newsgroups with it unless
there are problems with my work that are serious enough to constitute
major pitfalls that might bother other people).

Robin Fairbairns
(For the CTAN team)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 02 Jun 1995 12:05:50 -0700
From:    [email-masked] (Paul Vojta)
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: gsftopk version 1.10

This is to announce that version 1.10 of gsftopk is available.  gsftopk is
a utility that calls Ghostscript to render PostScript fonts, and then converts
them into pk format.  This allows you to view PostScript fonts in xdvi.

This version fixes bugs with the ReEncodeFont directive in the psfonts.map
file.  This is needed in order to use fonts with the `8r' encoding (as in
the recently-released psfonts.beta package).

To upgrade, you can either:

   1.   get the whole package again:

            CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk-1.10.tar.gz

   or

   2.   apply the following patch to version 1.9:

            CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk-1.9-1.10.diff.gz

(Unfortunately, ftp.dante.de is not mirroring this properly, though.)

These files are also available in Unix compress format from math.berkeley.edu
in the directory pub/Software/TeX.

- --Paul Vojta, [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Jun 1995 23:05:58 +0200
From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Babel release 3.5 Beta now available

        Hi,

        I am releived to finally be able to tell you that I have
        finalized Babel release 3.5 far enough to start a beta testing
        period. I have to warn you though that not all documentation
        is up to what it should be yet.

        What's new in release 3.5?
        - Because of some of the major changes I made I have decided
          to give the (formerly called) language-specific files a new
          name: "language definition file". They also no longer have
          the extension.sty but ".ldf". The consequence is that
          \usepackage{english} no longer works, only the documented
          syntax \usepackage[english]{babel} works.
        - Completely changed the way babel deals with active
          characters. They are now activated once and stay active for
          the rest of the document, only their expansion
          changes. There is still one problem with the approach:
          active characters that take an argument (such as " in a lot
          of languages) give errors what TeX finds the sequence "}.
        - Active characters (or two letter combinations starting with
          an active character) are now called shorthands. One can have
          three levels of shorthands: user defined, language defined
          and system defined. Active characters may be defined to take
          an argument.
        - Active characters are now written to auxiliary files
          *verbatim*
        - A language change now also writes information in the .aux
          file as the change might also affect typesetting the table
          of contents. The consequence is that an .aux file generated
          by a LaTeX format with babel preloaded gives errors when
          read with a LaTeX format without babel, but I think this
          problaly doesn't occur.
        - Babel can now be used together with both the inputenc and
          fontenc packages. So far Babel only knows about T1 and OT1
          encodings, if it needs to know other encodings I would like
          to hear it.
        - A lot of code has been moved from language definition files
          (note the new name for them I used to call them
          language-specific files). This is caused by the rewrite of
          the active character handling and by the implementation of
          T1 support,
        - A number of languages have been added to the distribution
          (breton, estonian, irish, lower sorbian, scottish and
          upper sorbian)
        - More laguage definition files make characters active;
          currently we have the following active characters:
          ~ system, catalan, galician, spanish
          : breton, francais, turkish
          ; breton, francais
          ! breton, francais, turkish
          ? breton, francais
          " catalan, danish, dutch, galician, german, polish,
            portuguese, slovene, spanish, upper sorbian
          ' catalan, galician, spanish
          ^ esperanto
          = turkish
        - This beta release is not yet compatible with plain TeX; I
          have *only* tested it with LaTeX2e. I would like to get
          compatibility with plain back before the final
          release. Compatibility with LaTeX 2.09 I do not regard as
          important as LaTeX 2.09 is obsolete by now. But making babel
          3.5 run with plain TeX probably also makes it run with
          LaTeX2.09. 

        When I hear nothing from you (or others who get the beta test
        from CTAN) I will hopefully make the final release 3.5
        available somewhere in July. (When I do hear from you I will
        strive to reacht the same date, but that depends on the
        complexity of the problems that need to be solved.)

        The last remark: where can you get babel 3.5 beta?
        It is available in babel-3.5beta.zip in the directory
        /tex-archive/macros/latex/packags/babel on CTAN.

        Happy testing!

        Johannes Braams

PTT Telecom,                            P.O. box 30150,
2500 GD 's Gravenhage                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3432037               E-mail : [email-masked]
Fax      : +31 70 3432395

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jun 1995 15:22:01 -0400
From:    Norman Walsh <[email-masked]>
Subject: Announcing: TWG-TDS Draft Standard 0.98

The TUG Technical Working Group on a TeX Directory Structure is
pleased to announce that a draft of the proposed TeX Directory
Structure standard is available for public review.  You can get it by
FTP from:

  <CTAN host>:/tex-archive/tds/draft-standard/

(The `/tex-archive' may vary; see the end of this message for a list of
possible hosts.)

The draft standard is available in LaTeX, PostScript, TeXinfo, HTML,
and SGML formats.  

Comments and suggestions are welcome.  Please communicate them by email to

    [email-masked]

or by paper mail to

    Norman Walsh
    O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
    90 Sherman Street
    Cambridge, MA 02140  USA

The primary purpose of this document is to describe a standard TeX
Directory Structure (TDS) for macros, fonts, and other such
implementation-independent TeX files.  As a matter of practicality, it
also suggests ways to incorporate the rest of the TeX files into a
single structure.  In the not-so-long run a consistent directory
structure will make it much easier to install and maintain TeX.  We
hope that administrators and developers of both free and commercial
implementations of TeX will adopt this standard.  It has been designed
to work on all modern systems.  In particular, this Technical Working
Group (TWG) believes it is usable under Unix, MS-DOS, OS/2, MacOS, and
VMS.

We hope to publish another draft, or make the final release (depending
on the volume of comments and concerns) shortly after TUG 95.

- -- the TUG TWG on a TeX Directory Structure

------------------------------

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details...

prompt$ finger [email-masked]
[pip.shsu.edu] 
[...]

In order to reduce network load, it is recommended that you use the
Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN) host which is located in the
closest network proximity to your site.  Alternatively, you may wish to
obtain a copy of the CTAN via CD-ROM (see help/CTAN.cdrom for details).

Known partial mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ftp.adfa.oz.au (Australia)            /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.fcu.edu.tw (Taiwan)               /pub2/tex
  ftp.germany.eu.net (Deutschland)      /pub/packages/TeX
  ftp.cs.ruu.nl (The Netherlands)       /pub/tex-archive
  ftp.uu.net (Virginia, USA)            /pub/text-processing/TeX
  nic.switch.ch (Switzerland)           /mirror/tex

Known mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw (Taiwan)       /tex-archive
  gw.pacbell.com (California, USA)      /mirror/ftp.shsu.edu/tex-archive
  ftp.center.osaka-u.ac.jp (Japan)      /CTAN
  ftp.ccu.edu.tw (Taiwan)               /pub/tex
  ftp.cs.rmit.edu.au  (Australia)       /tex-archive
  ftp.duke.edu (North Carolina, USA)    /tex-archive
  ftp.gwdg.de (Deutschland)             /pub/dante
  ftp.jussieu.fr (France)               /pub4/TeX/CTAN
  ftp.loria.fr (France)                 /pub/unix/tex/ctan
  ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de (Deutschland)       /pub4/tex/mirror/ftp.dante.de
  ftp.muni.cz (The Czech Republic)      /pub/tex/CTAN
  ftp.riken.go.jp (Japan)               /pub/tex-archive
  ftp.uni-bielefeld.de (Deutschland)    /pub/tex
  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de (Deutschland)    /tex-archive (/pub/tex)
  ftp.usafa.af.mil (Colorado, USA)      /mirrors/packages/TeX
  ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp (Japan)              /pub/CTAN
  ftpserver.nus.sg (Singapore)          /pub/zi/TeX
  kadri.ut.ee (Estonia)                 /pub/tex
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk (England)            /packages/tex/uk-tex
  sunsite.unc.edu (North Carolina, USA) /pub/packages/TeX
  wuarchive.wustl.edu (Missouri, USA)   /packages/TeX

Please send updates to this list to <[email-masked]>.

The participating hosts in the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network are:
  ftp.dante.de  (Deutschland)         
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node sun.dante.de
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.shsu.edu  (Texas, USA)      
       -- anonymous ftp and gopher      /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- NFS mountable from ftp.SHSU.edu:/pub/ftp/tex-archive
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- World Wide Web access on www.SHSU.edu
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.tex.ac.uk (England)               
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.tex.ac.uk
       -- NFS mountable from nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive
       -- World Wide Web access on www.tex.ac.uk
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 11]
*****************************************