Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #10
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 17:42:06 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Wednesday, 17 May 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 10
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                   Including diagrams using OzTeX?
                       Question about headers.
       Re: smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert packae
       Re: smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert package
                          LaTeX for NextStep
                           LaTeX 2e on ftp
                         Floats at odd pages.
  [comp.text.tex] [Feynman diagrams for LaTeX] FEYNMF v0.9 released
                  ANNOUNCEMENT: gsftopk version 1.9
                   ANNOUNCEMENT: xdvi patchlevel 20

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 01 May 1995 15:44:21 +0100
From:    "M. MacDougall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Including diagrams using OzTeX?

I wonder if you could assist me by informing me of any applemac software which 
would enable me to incorporate diagrams into a file when using OzTeX.
(Usually I use Teachtext to write my .tex file.)

I would greatly appreciate it if you would assist me as this information
would be most useful to me.

Your sincerely,

Margaret MacDougall.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 02 May 1995 14:12:09 -0000
From:    C D Radcliffe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Question about headers.

Is there a way of getting a user defined heading, 

e.g.
\pagestyle{headings}
\markright{\sc My heading}

to appear on the first page of a document? Am I missing something
simple? I can set the page counter to 0 and 'con' latex, but there must
be a better way.

Chris Radcliffe,

Department of Mechanical Engineering,
University of Leeds,                                    __o
Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK.                             _     _`\<,_
[email-masked]  (0113 - 2332152)      -_    (_)/ (_)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 02 May 1995 14:36:31 +0100
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert packae

Victor Sanchez asks why the Lucida metrics
package on CTAN uses derived, and not real,
smallcaps. This is simply an oversight, and is
corrected in the forthcoming re-release of all
the metrics, and PSNFSS. The curious reader
may like to look on CTAN in fonts/psfonts.beta
to see how this is developing. A proper
announcement  will be made soon

Sebastian Rahtz

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 02 May 1995 14:55:43 -0400
From:    [email-masked] (Berthold K.P. Horn)
Subject: Re: smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert package

> Hello, I bought the full Lucida Bright font package from Y&Y, including
> the expert fonts (boldmath, smallcaps and text figures). I changed their 
> names to the Berry scheme in order to use Mr. Rahtz metric files in CTAN. 
> I needed to do this since I needed T1 encoding as I write mostly in 
> spanish nowdays.  In a note about the lucbr package Mr. Rahtz points out 
> that "support for the expert package has been added specially for the 
> boldmath fonts". However, it seems that only support for boldmath was 
> added as the smallcaps and oldnumerals are still derived from the caps 
> and titling figures (and hence look lighter). 

You may want to get the latest versions of lucida.dtx and lucida.ins from
Y&Y. These take care of some minor problems in the older versions found in
PSNFSS on CTAN.  Or, just wait for Sebastian's new versions to show up on
CTAN when he is satisfied with the changes he has made.  The new versions of
the lucida.* files also solve some problems with upright Greek in bold math.
You can contact Y&Y at [email-masked].

I don't know about the metric files, since I use the fonts directly (using
the TFM files supplied with the fonts).  There may be aditional problems
lurking in the VF files that I am not aware off.

Berthold.

DISCLAIMER: repsondent has connections with Y&Y.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 0382 15:15:25 +0100
From:    Anil Vithala Rao <[email-masked]>
Subject: LaTeX for NextStep

Is there a version of LaTeX for the NextStep operating system for the PC, 
i.e., NextStep for x86?

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 May 1995 19:09:43 +0000
From:    g.p. TEYSSIERE <[email-masked]>
Subject: LaTeX 2e on ftp

Dear LaTeX users,
Could you confirm, please, whether the LaTeX 2Epsilon version is available 
on ftp. I got the reference ftp.tex.ac.uk with the subdirectory /tex-
archive/macros/latex/base but this server is declared as unknown.
Many  Thanks in advance.
Gilles Teyssiere

Dr Gilles Teyssiere
University of London
Dpt of Economics,
Mile End Road,
London E1 4NS.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 16 May 1995 18:05:03 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Weynand Kuijpers)
Subject: Floats at odd pages.

Dear reader,

At this moment I am writing my graduation report. Some time ago I encountered
the TeX/LaTeX typesetting system, and decided to write this report with the
package.  In contrast to many text processing systems TeX/LaTeX satisfies all
my needs in a very convenient way.  Compliments for this.  Still a question
rises for which I cannot find an answer.

In this report I want to incorporate large numbers of eps graphs. A very fine
mechanism for this purpose has been developped.  But I would like to set a 
default that puts all floating stuff (including tables) on the odd (left) 
pages of the "book" document class. Is this possible by using a style file
or need I some extra code?

Please forgive me if I haven't read the LaTeX Companion good enough.  I hope 
that someone else has come across this question and solved it.

Thanks in advance                       Weynand

Weynand Kuijpers

Daytime                 Private:                E-mail
Fokker Space&Systems                            [email-masked] 
P.O. box 32070          S. Lohmanlaan 70        [email-masked]
2303 DB  Leiden         3118 RT  Schiedam       [email-masked]
(0)71-245886            (0)10-4717511

------------------------------

Date:    06 May 1995 04:47:58 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Thorsten Ohl)
Subject: [comp.text.tex] [Feynman diagrams for LaTeX] FEYNMF v0.9 released

This announces a new version of feynmf, a combined LaTeX/Metafont
package for easy drawing of professional quality Feynman diagrams.
This version features a new ``immediate'' mode, which allows to access
Metafont's wonderful expressiveness much more conveniently.

I plan to release this version as version 1.0 after revising the
manual.  If you're desperate for a feature or have suggestions for the
manual, this is the time to speak up.  I will be very reluctant about
adding features, but hints for the manual are welcome.

This software will show up through the magic of mirroring at the CTAN
host near you.  Below is the README file.

Enjoy,
- -Thorsten

/// Thorsten Ohl, TH Darmstadt, Schlossgartenstr. 9, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
//////////////// net: [email-masked], [email-masked]
/// voice: +49-6151-16-3116, secretary: +49-6151-16-2072, fax: +49-6151-16-2421

# $Id: README,v 1.15 1995/04/28 01:20:45 ohl Exp $
########################################################################

    This is feynmf, a combined LaTeX/Metafont package for easy drawing
    of professional quality Feynman diagrams.  feynmf lays out most
    diagrams satisfactorily from the structure of the graph without
    any need for manual intervention.  Nevertheless all the power of
    Metafont is available for the most obscure cases.  See the
    documentation for appetizers, examples and more details.

    Anyway, you are invited to share, use, abuse, and improve it, see
    the file COPYING for details.

    Enjoy,
    -Thorsten

########################################################################

    Comments, bug reports and improvements are welcome at:

        [email-masked]
        (aka: [email-masked])

    New versions can be found in:

        crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de:/pub/ohl/feynmf

    or at CTAN:

        {ftp.shsu.edu,ftp.tex.ac.uk,ftp.dante.de}:
          ... macros/latex/contrib/supported/feynmf

    There are two mailing lists

        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

    both are open for subscription.  The former should be very low
    volume and carry only important announcements.  The latter can
    serve as a more general discussion forum.

    To subscribe, send mail to

        [email-masked]

    and NOT to the lists itself.  The following commands (on a line in
    the body of the mail, not in the subject) are useful: `subscribe
    feynmf-announce', `unsubscribe feynmf-bugs', `help', etc.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 1995 17:47:09 -0700
From:    [email-masked] (Paul Vojta)
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: gsftopk version 1.9

This is to announce that version 1.9 of gsftopk is available.  gsftopk is
a utility that calls Ghostscript to render PostScript fonts, and then converts
them into pk format.  This allows you to view PostScript fonts in xdvi.

This version is necessary if you are using gs3.3.3.

To upgrade, you can either:

   1.   get the whole package again:

            CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk-1.9.tar.gz

   or

   2.   apply the following patch to version 1.8:

            CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk-1.8-1.9.diff.gz

These files are also available in Unix compress format from math.berkeley.edu
in the directory pub/Software/TeX.

Also, gsftopk 1.9 is included with xdvi-20, which is also being released
at this time.

- --Paul Vojta, [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 1995 17:50:48 -0700
From:    [email-masked] (Paul Vojta)
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: xdvi patchlevel 20

This is to announce that patchlevel 20 for xdvi, a previewer for .dvi files
under the X Window System, has been released.  It is available via anonymous
ftp from ftp.x.org in the file contrib/applications/xdvi-20.tar.Z
(and coming soon to a mirror site near you...).

Patchlevel 20 fixes some bugs that were present in patchlevel 19.  Patchlevel
19, which was recently released but not announced (due to the bugs), adds:

   o    Support for header= and `!' PostScript specials.
   o    Path searching for PostScript header and figure files.
   o    Ability to use compressed PostScript figure files.
   o    Numerous smaller bug fixes and enhancements.

Among the bugs fixed is an image clipping problem with gs 3.x.  The patch to
gs that I had circulated earlier is no longer necessary (and probably
incorrect).  The new FAQ file contains a revised patch, provided by Tim
Theisen, which fixes bugs both for ghostview and for xdvi.  You should use
it if you are using gs 3.3.3.

This version of xdvi also includes version 1.9 of gsftopk, which contains
fixes for working with gs 3.3.3.

Information on xdvi is available on the WWW at the following URL:

        http://math.berkeley.edu/~vojta/xdvi.html

- --Paul Vojta, [email-masked]

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 10]
*****************************************