Subject: TeXhax Digest V94 #01
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:28:27 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Monday, 31 Jan 1994  Volume 94 : Issue 01

%  The TeXhax Digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group  %
%    and UK TeX Users Group in cooperation with the UK TeX Archive group    %

Today's Topics:
                         TeXhax in '94 survey
                TeX support for the Kannada language?
                              Color TeX
                       musictex sortindx in C?
                          flash card style?
                    Query: SUN, HP Deskjet driver
                       LaTeX style for manual?
                          Bold Greek Letters
                   WYSIWYG editor for TeX or LaTeX?
                 Word-for-Windows to LaTeX conversion
            CTAN calling all LaTeX style writers!! Readme!
         [comp.text.tex] emTeX 3.1415 beta-9 is now available
                [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCING: TeXit 1.35
                    web2c 6.0 & friends available
                     Movement of german CTAN host

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                   [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 31 Jan 1994 10:25:19 +0000
From:    David Osborne <[email-masked]>
Subject: TeXhax in '94 survey

Thanks to all of you who sent in responses to my survey in the last
issue, and for the various suggestions you made.  I'll be analysing
them soon, now the flow of responses has tailed off, and hope to
publish the findings in the next issue.

If you didn't see the questionnaire, you can fetch a copy of the last
issue (V93 #17) from one of the anonymous ftp hosts in the CTAN
(Comprehensive TeX Archive Network) -- see the details of how to do
this in the trailer to this issue.

~~David Osborne (TeXhax Digest moderator)

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 29 Dec 1993 11:30:07 -0600
From:    "T.N.K.Raju, MD 6-4183" <[email-masked]>
Subject: TeX support for the Kannada language?

Can anyone tell me if there is a program on Tex to write in
Kannada, a South Indian language? If you know of other programs to write
in this language on computer, please help.
Tonse Raju, MD, Prof. Pediatrics, University of Illinois at Chicago.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 31 Dec 1993 18:36:11 -0700
From:    "Carlos A. Felippa" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Color TeX

Is there a version of TeX with the ability to include
color information directly in an output PS or EPS file?

Carlos Felippa
Aerospace Engrg Sci
University of Colorado at Boulder
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 03 Jan 1994 12:56:48 -0800
From:    Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
Subject: musictex sortindx in C?

I have a copy of musictex that includes sortindx.for.
1. Is this the latest copy of musictex?
2. Has anyone translated sortindx.for into C?

Thanks,
/7\'7  Steve Kelem      (408)879-5347           [email-masked]
\\ `   Xilinx                                   FAX: (408)559-7114
//     2100 Logic Drive
\\/.\  San Jose, California 95124

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 10 Jan 1994 21:25:30 -0800
From:    Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
Subject: flash card style?

Has anyone made a flash card style for latex or tex?  I tried, but can't get
the order of output to come out right.

Here's what I want to type:

\input flash.sty
\card{Front 1}{Back 1}
\card{Front 2}{Back 2}
\card{Front 3}{Back 3}
...

And I would like it to come out in columns so that the fronts are on one
side, the backs on the other side of the page and then the page can be
sliced up into 3x11 pieces like:

Front 1     Front 12   Front 23         Back 23 Back 12 Back 1
Front 2     Front 13   Front 24         Back 24 Back 13 Back 2
...

Front 11    Front 22   Front 33         Back 33 Back 22 Back 11

When there's an exact multiple of 33, it works out ok.  But when there are
fewer, then the columns don't come out in the right places.

I tried modifying the labels style, which I've included below.

Thanks for any help or pointers,
/7\'7  Steve Kelem      (408)879-5347           [email-masked]
\\ `   Xilinx                                   FAX: (408)559-7114
//     2100 Logic Drive
\\/.\  San Jose, California 95124

% LABELS.TEX  This can be used to produce mailing labels from a name
% and address file.  Format is 33 labels per 8-1/2 x 11 inch page.
% Ted Shapin, December 18, 1986.

% This output routine does a triple column page with no headers or footers.
% Taken from the TeX book.

\newdimen\fullhsize
\fullhsize=8.5in
\hsize=2.8in

\def\fulline{\hbox to \fullhsize}
% The following line indicates that we're working on the Left column
\let\lr=L
\def\frontcolumnbox{\leftline{\pagebody}}
\def\backcolumnbox{\leftline{\backbody}}
\newbox\frontleftcolumn
\newbox\frontmidcolumn
\newbox\backbody
\newbox\backleftcolumn
\global\setbox\backleftcolumn=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 0pt}
\newbox\backmidcolumn
\global\setbox\backmidcolumn=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 2pt}
\newbox\backrightcolumn
\global\setbox\backrightcolumn=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 0pt}
\output={\message{output}\if L\lr\message{LEFT}
        \global\setbox\frontleftcolumn=\frontcolumnbox \global\let\lr=M
        \global\setbox\backrightcolumn\backcolumnbox
        \global\setbox\backmidcolumn\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 0pt}
          \else\if M\lr\message{MID}
            \global\setbox\frontmidcolumn=\frontcolumnbox \global\let\lr=R
            \global\setbox\backmidcolumn\backcolumnbox
            \else \message{RIGHT}\global\setbox\backleftcolumn\backcolumnbox
              \tripleformat \global\let\lr=L\fi\fi
% reset the backbody
        \global\setbox\backbody=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 0pt}
        \ifnum\outputpenalty>-20000 \message{\the\outputpenalty}
        \else \message{\the\outputpenalty}
          \if L\lr
            \global\setbox\backleftcolumn=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 2pt}
            \global\setbox\backmidcolumn=\vbox{\hrule width 3.6667in height 2pt}
            \global\setbox\backrightcolumn=\backcolumnbox
            %\tripleformat
            \fi
          \supereject
          \if L\lr \else\null\vfill\eject\fi
          \if L\lr \else\null\vfill\eject\fi
          \fi}
%         \dosupereject\fi}

% Format a triple-column document
\def\tripleformat{\message{tripleoutput}\shipout\vbox{
% The front page
        \fulline{\box\frontleftcolumn\hfil\box\frontmidcolumn\hfil\frontcolumnbox}}
        \advancepageno
% The back page
        \shipout\vbox{
        \fulline{\box\backleftcolumn\hfil\box\backmidcolumn\hfil\backrightcolumn}}
        \setbox\backbody=\vbox{}
        \advancepageno
}
% This sets up to use the full page with no margins.

\hoffset=-.75in \voffset=-.75in \vsize=11in \parindent=0pt
\topskip=0pt  \lineskip=0pt

% This is used for each mailing label
\raggedright
\obeylines
\parindent=0pt
\def\L#1#2{\vbox to 1in{#1\vfil}%
  \setbox\backbody=\vbox{\unvbox\backbody%
    \vbox to 1in{#2\vfil}}%
}

% The input looks like this:

% \L{T. Doe
% The White House
% Washington, D.C.}
% \L{Ted Shapin
% Beckman Instruments, Inc.
% 2500 Harbor Blvd., X-11
% Fullerton, CA. 92634}

% Now read the mailing list

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 17 Jan 1994 12:03:03 +0100
From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query: SUN, HP Deskjet driver

        I have a SUN and an HP Deskjet printer. Does anyone know of a
        driver for that printer which runs on the SUN?

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research,                           P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : [email-masked]
Fax      : +31 70 3326477

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 23 Jan 1994 19:22:21 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: LaTeX style for manual?

        Many moons ago, I remember there was a place where you could get a
copy of the comp.sys.tex FAQ and a collection of latex styles.  Does anyone
have the address?  I am after a style for a manual.  I would *like* it
would have the name of the section and the name of the manual/authors
alternating in the header of the page, between 2 dark lines, and the page
number somewhere in the fotter, under another dark line.

If there is *no* manual style available at all, how do I write my own?  I
should add I need to get this done pretty soon, so I would really
appreciate replies with samples.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 Jan 1994 09:41:34 -0500
From:    "Mark Weber, GSFC (301)286-0507" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bold Greek Letters

How can I create bold Greek letters (or any special math symbols) for use
in titles or generally in bold texts? I am sure that this propblem has
surfaced before and maybe someone can give me hints to possible solutions. 

Mark Weber
Code 690
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Breenbelt, MD 20771
USA
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:43:10 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Susana Delgado)
Subject: WYSIWYG editor for TeX or LaTeX?
        
        Has anybody knowledge about a WYSIWYG document editor that works with
TeX or LaTeX format?. I've tried with doc from Interviews but the format 
it uses is not really LaTeX.

Thanks in advance,

Susana Delgado

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 06 Jan 1994 15:15:23 -0600
From:    [email-masked] (Clay C. Ross)
Subject: Word-for-Windows to LaTeX conversion

I am especially interested in any responses to the request for a WfW2LaTeX
(Word for Windows to LaTeX) converter. I have a 500-page mathematics book
in Word (5.0 on the Mac) that I have to convert to LaTeX {report} format.
At this point the conversion is mostly manual and VERY slow. In theory, I
can automatically convert Word formulas to plain TeX using MathType for
Windows: I am told that MT will convert all of the formulas (or equations)
in a document to plain TeX. This would make the conversion easy enough to
do --- one document at a time, but I have not yet gotten to the appropriate
Windows PC to install the necessary programs and have a try.

Another problem that I have is that the manuscript contains pages of
WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) Mathematica transactions (both Input
and Output) whose format I wish to retain in LaTeX. What macros will I
need? (I am one week into TeX, and this is hard for me.) The formatting was
not hard to do in Word, but the LaTeX commands are beyond me.

 Clay C. Ross    (615) 598-1301
 Mathematics & Computer Science
 The University of the South
 Sewanee, Tennessee  37383-1000

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Jan 1994 20:02:43 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Sebastian Rahtz)
Subject: CTAN calling all LaTeX style writers!! Readme!

As I am sure most people know, a new version of LaTeX (LaTeX2e) is now
in beta test, and will be released on the world in the spring. It will
have a support policy of regular 6 monthly updates.

After consultation with the LaTeX2e project team, the CTAN sites have
decided to restructure the LaTeX area of the archives, to distinguish
clearly between material known to work with LaTeX2e, and untested or
imcompatible styles. We would also like to make it clear which
packages are actively supported and documented, and which are offered
`asis'. The final structure will therefore look like this:
 macros
    latex
       core           % supplied by LaTeX2e team
       contrib
            supported
            other
    latex209
       contrib

Until the spring, this will be reversed, so that macros/latex will be
2.09, and macros/latex2e will be the beta release.

Anything in latex/contrib/supported will be expected to conform to a
minimal standard of documentation and maintenance; material in
latex/contrib/other should have been tested with LaTex2e, but the
authors may not wish to promise support or documentation. It is
important to note that we are not making qualitative judgements -- we
will continue to hold whatever authors produce and place in the public
domain.

A short guide to documentation and maintenance will be available
shortly. Tel us if you want your name on a list to receive it.

The purpose of this note is to ask style authors to consider looking
again at their work, and checking that it works with LaTeX2e, maybe
updating it to use the new features if necessary. Let CTAN know
([email-masked]), and your packages can be moved to the
latex2e/contrib/suported tree, so that users will have a good choice
of material at the start.

If you haven't seen LaTeX2e, you can ftp it from ftp.tex.ac.uk,
ftp.shsu.edu or ftp.dante.edu, from /tex-archive/macros/latex2e/core.
You can get full details of the new features in `The LaTeX Companion'
(Goossens, Mittelbach and Samarin, Addison Wesley 1994)

Sebastian Rahtz

for CTAN archivists

------------------------------

Date:    31 Dec 1993 10:16:31 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Eberhard Mattes)
Subject: [comp.text.tex] emTeX 3.1415 beta-9 is now available

Archive-Name: auto/comp.text.tex/emTeX-3-1415-beta-9-is-now-available

emTeX beta 9 is now available:

  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de:/pub/tex/systems/msdos/emtex/betatest/texb9.zip

It will soon be available from the other CTAN sites.

Here's the list of changes, relative to beta 8:

- - TeX 3.1415

- - The standard-sized emTeX (tex.exe) now supports \charsubdef (-ml
  command line option)

- - The parameter stack size is now settable for the standard-sized
  emTeX with the /ma# command line option (# in 60 through 1000), the
  default value is 60

- - Support for long file names under OS/2 has been added

- - The method for file name truncation has been changed.  The 5+3.3
  rule is tried before the 8.3 rule.

- - Files with names that contain two or more dots cannot be read and
  written under DOS.  This should solve the problem of
  \include{chap1.tex} overwriting chap1.tex with chap1.tex.aux

- - The default directory (\emtex\texinput, for instance) is no longer
  searched in addition to the directories specified by an environment
  variable (TEXINPUT, for instance)

- - Directories can now be searched recursively.  To search one level of
  subdirectories, append ! to the path name, to search all levels of
  subdirectories, append !! to the path name.

- - A new environment variable, EMTEXDIR, can be used to change the path
  name of the emTeX directory

- - The EMTEXDRV environment variable and the /pv command line option
  are no longer supported; use EMTEXDIR instead.  For instance,
  replace

    set emtexdrv=c

  with

    set emtexdir=c:\emtex

- - The TCP file (see the /c option) is now sought in \emtex\data (or in
  the directories set by the TEXDATA environment variable).

- - Loops which don't produce screen output can now be interrupted with
  Ctrl-Break.  This feature can be disabled by the /db command line
  option (for machines which have problems with hooking interrupt 1C)

- - The speed of screen output has been improved, especially when
  running under GNU Emacs on OS/2

- - Keyboard input now works under GNU Emacs on OS/2

- --
  Eberhard Mattes ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    31 Dec 1993 10:16:42 +0100
From:    <[email-masked]>
Subject: [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCING: TeXit 1.35

Archive-Name: auto/comp.text.tex/ANNOUNCING-TeXit-1-35

TeXit is my "do-it-all" Perl script for processing TeX (especially LaTeX)
documents.  This release should be available on all CTAN sites "real soon
now" (I just uploaded it to ftp.shsu.edu this morning...) in the directory
<ctanroot>/support/texit.

Here's the top of the CHANGES file.  If you have any questions or suggestions,
don't hesitate to ask...

$Id: CHANGES 1.6 1993/12/30 17:27:16 norm Exp $

This file documents the changes to TeXit:

Version 1.35:

- - $DEFAULTLATEXFORMAT added to specify default LaTeX variant (it could be
  a LaTeX file, a LaTeX+NFSS file, a LaTeX+NFSS2 file, an AMS LaTeX file,
  or ...

- - Added support for LaTeX2e

- - Added an option to allow the TEXINPUTS path to be specified differently
  for different formats.  Right now, for example, TEXINPUTS2E will be used
  in place of TEXINPUTS when formatting LaTeX2e documents.

- - Running under X11, TeXit will change the title bar and the icon title
  to reflect the action being performed.  For long jobs, this makes it
  easy to tell if the iconified TeXit process has finished.  If you want
  this functionality, you must set $SETXTITLE=1; in your .texitrc file.

Version 1.34:

- - Reorganized the initialization code for the format file names, printable
  names, and parsing routines.

- - Added support for finding the position of the first error in a TeX log.
  The '%E' in a command (the editing command, for example) is replaced
  by the name of the file containing the error and `%e' is replaced by the
  line number of the error.

- - TeXit verifies that TeX will be able to find the format file that you've
  requested.  This will help users with non-standard format file names track
  down problems quickly.

- - Parsing the LaTeX log has been extended to add dependencies for bibliography
  style files and bibliography databases.

- - The environment variables that contain the paths for searching for biblio
  files and format files are stored in $ENV_TEXINPUTS, $ENV_BIBINPUTS, and
  $ENV_TEXFMTS.  These should be changed in your .texitrc file to reflect
  the correct environment variables.

- - The Local-Variables and other format-file clues no longer override the
  values established by a % Format:, % Master:, or % Mode: line in the
  document.

- - Error messages for unrecognized warnings in LaTeX now use the format
  "filename: line-number: warning" if the line number occurs in the
  message, otherwise the format "filename: warning" is used.

- - If you define $DEFAULT_PRINTER, it will be the default printer queue if
  you do not specify one.

- - Made STDOUT unbuffered

- - Print %done message while parsing LOG file.  For very large log files,
  earlier versions of TeXit gave the impression that they were hung...

- - If a raw input filename is given (one with no path component), then
  TeXit will search for the file in the $ENV_TEXINPUTS path.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 25 Jan 1994 06:45:43 -0500
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: web2c 6.0 & friends available

I've released version 6.0 of web2c, a port of the basic TeX
project web programs (TeX, Metafont, GFtoPK, etc.) to Unix, 
and my modified drivers (dvipsk and xdvik).

You can get everything by ftp from:

      (Boston) ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{lib,src,web,web2c,dvipsk,xdvik}.tar.gz

lib is a collection of the basic tfm, tex, mf, and bibtex files
  (in my opinion).
src has additional documentation, sources for some of the things
  in lib, and a few extra programs I find especially valuable.

Soon they will be available from the CTAN sites (please try them first):

       (Texas) ftp.shsu.edu
     (England) ftp.tex.ac.uk         
     (Germany) ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

See the ftp retrieval instructions below for precise details. 

A summary of the changes is below.  Send bug reports to me (I'm sure
there will be plenty). If you want support, or if you cannot ftp, I
suggest contacting [email-masked].

One change worth emphasizing: the default paths have completely changed.
See the file kpathsea/HIER for a summary of this. The Makefile(s) and
kpathsea/paths.h.in do the actual definitions.

By the way, the new version number is 6.0 because 5.8515 was just too
many decimal points (also running out of characters on my system V
filesystems).

The next major feature I intend to implement is a runtime configuration
file (read by all three programs) to define paths.

[email-masked]
Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- write [email-masked].

web2c:
Version 6.0 (24 January 1994)
* Default paths changed.
* Update for TeX 3.1415, etc.
* Change to use the kpathsea library, a la dvipsk and xdvik.

* TeX's \openin command invokes MakeTeXTeX just like \input.

* TeX & Metafont:
  - 16-byte values can be dumped, thus allowing native `long' on the DEC Alpha.
  - But 32-bit integers are used if sharable format files are desired,
    even on 64-bit machines.
  - Interrupts are accepted when waiting for input.
  
* Online output support in Metafont for Regis terminals and the NeXT.
* gftopk can handle characters with up to 100,000 rows.
* vftovp's -charcode-format=ascii works properly.
* patgen doesn't give bizarre numeric output where it should be text.

* configuration:
  - -lX11 is used for OpenWindows.
  - The MakeTeX... scripts are individually selectable by default, and
    can always be invoked if certain environment variables are set.
  - The subdirectory trick using st_nlink can be turned off.

* Makefiles:
  - man/Makefile doesn't remove itself at `clean'.
  - {tex,mf}/clean-tr[ia]p doesn't reinstall a {tex,mf}d.h with the test
     constants.
  - web2c/Makefile removes lex and yacc output at `clean'.
  - mkdirchain invoked as an absolute filename.

* web2c:
  - sync is no longer invoked; instead the Makefiles touch texd.h and
    mfd.h after they are finished.

dvipsk:
5.526a (24 January 1994)
* Extra :'s in config file paths incorporate the compile-time default,
  and extra :'s in envvars incorporate the config file path.
* Default paths and config.ps changed.
* -v prints the version number and exits.
* magstep rounding consistent with xdvik.
* MakeTeXPK.in includes gsftopk support (disabled by default), and
  allows user envvars to override the script's value. Some default
  values substituted from the Makefile.
* Under -DSECURE, reading of absolute_p files is prohibited.

xdvik:
1.5 (24 January 1994)
* Try again to make the signal handling more reliable on the Alpha.
* Debugging option for EPS previewing.
* Magstep rounding consistent with dvipsk.
* xdvi -version by itself doesn't provoke a usage message.
* Make j a synonym for j.


[FTP.nwc: 24 January 1994

 The most up-to-date copy of this file is available on ftp.cs.umb.edu 
 (158.121.104.33) in pub/tex/FTP.nwc.

 If the info below does not match up with what you find on the archives,
 please let us know.  Thanks!  -- [email-masked].]

=========================================================================
     TeX programs are user-supported: join the TeX Users Group (TUG)
            and support the development of these programs.
                For membership information, send mail to
                           [email-masked].
=========================================================================

                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS

Most people who get in touch with the Unix TeX distribution at the Univ.
of Washington are aiming to install plain TeX, LaTeX, BibTeX, plain
Metafont, a previewer that will work under the X windowing system, and a
PostScript device driver.  While the ftp sites listed below have just
about everything useful for users of TeX on a variety of operating
systems, our retrieval instructions -- intended solely for users with
machines running Unix -- are limited to the programs mentioned above.

The three ftp sites mentioned below are part of the Comprehensive TeX 
Archive Network (CTAN).  

    CTAN is the result of cooperative work among members of TUG,
    DANTE [German-speaking TeX Users Group], and UKTUG [U.K. TeX 
    Users Group], under the leadership of George Greenwade, Chair 
    for TUG's Technical Working Group on TeX Archive Guidelines.

    Special thanks to George Greenwade for establishing the CTAN site 
    at Sam Houston State University (US), to Rainer Schoepf for the
    CTAN site at the University of Stuttgart (FRG), and to Sebastian Rahtz 
    for the CTAN site at Aston University (UK).  These archives mirror 
    each other meticulously.
    
Please use the host nearest you: 

    Host                        Internet address        TeX root dir
    ----                        ----------------        ------------
    ftp.shsu.edu                192.92.115.10           tex-archive
    ftp.tex.ac.uk               134.151.44.19           tex-archive
    ftp.uni-stuttgart.de        128.69.1.12             tex-archive

Users of ftp.tex.ac.uk or ftp.uni-stuttgart.de will be able to retrieve
the same tex-archive files, but site-specific files (i.e., the two
mentioned in the next paragraph) may be named differently.

Upon logging on (to ftp.shsu.edu), retrieve and read 

    README.archive-features and
    README.site-commands 

to learn how to use the archive efficiently.  

We assume that you will have read these documents and will be able to
use the information in them to make retrieval more convenient for yourself.

    For example, by reading these files, you will learn that you will be
    able to retrieve foo.tar.gz even if the file does not exist, because
    the ftpd allows archiving and compressing files on the fly.

In our instructions, the mode of compression used during retrieval is
gzip.  All files ending in .gz are gzipped.

We encourage you to retrieve and install GNU's gunzip utility, part of
the gzip package.  Set "binary" by typing "bi" at your ftp prompt, and
retrieve the file

    ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip/gzip-<version>.tar

It does a better job of compression than standard Unix compress; and it
is (as far as is known) patent-free. It is illegal to use Unix compress
for software on the net, because it infringes on a software patent.

     To inform yourself about the new software monopolies 
                in the U.S., send mail to the 
               League for Programming Freedom: 
                      [email-masked]


For a basic set of input files and fonts:--------------------------------------
- --

        ftp> cd tex-archive/systems/unix/web2c
        ftp> bi                                 [for binary retrieval]
        ftp> get lib.tar.gz

    This file contains a small collection of fonts (TFM files only),
    (La)TeX macros, MF macros, and BibTeX files, enough to get
    started. The AMS fonts and macros are included.

    It unpacks into a directory named `texmf', which you will want in
    your equivalent of /usr/local/lib -- whatever you defined as your
    $(datadir) in the Makefiles.

    The organization of the archive was debated at great length. We hope
    it will be useful. If you don't like our organization, you should
    move the files around as you see fit, not forgetting to redefine the
    search paths and installation directories. The Makefiles,
    kpathsea/HIER, kpathsea/paths.h.in, and web2c/README (``Directory
    hierarchies'') have more tidbits of information.

    We advise unpacking this and deciding on your directory structure
    *before* doing the compilations.


For web2c:
- ---------

   Special thanks here to Karl Berry, Unix System Coordinator for TUG.
   He improves/develops/maintains web2c, modes.mf, dvipsk, and xdvik
   (and other things not mentioned in this file).  He also maintains
   pub/tex on ftp.cs.umb.edu, which is the originating location for all
   the files above and below.

        [still in tex-archive/systems/unix/web2c]

        ftp> get web.tar.gz     [Knuth's WEB sources for TeX, MF, & family:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

        ftp> get web2c.tar.gz   [WEB-to-C source:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

   It is important to retrieve and unpack both web.tar.gz and web2c.tar.gz.
   They unbundle into a single directory called ./web2c-<version>.

   The web2c software converts the WEB source files (in which TeX,
   Metafont, & family are written) to C source.  The input and font
   files are needed to dump the format and base files required to run 
   plain TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont.


For an X window system previewer (xdvik) 
- -------------------------------
   and PostScript device driver (dvipsk):
   -------------------------------------
                
        ftp> cd ../../dviware/xdvik
        ftp> get xdvik.tar.gz   
                [unpacks into ./xdvik-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../dvipsk
        ftp> get dvipsk.tar.gz
                [unpacks into dvipsk-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../../fonts/cm/pk
        ftp> get pk300.zip
                [For write-black 300dpi devices.

                 The zip/unzip package is in 
                 ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip.

                 These pk fonts are not strictly necessary;
                 dvips and xdvi can use a script `MakeTeXPK' that will 
                 generate missing bitmapped fonts.]

        ftp> get pk300w.zip
                [pk300w (write-white) fonts are better with xdvi]

        ftp> quit                       [end ftp session]

We believe this covers the retrieval of the essential files.  

Each of the three packages -- web2c, xdvik, dvipsk, -- contains its own
installation instructions.  The first thing to compile is web2c (that is
to say, both web.tar.gz and web2c.tar.gz, unpacked); begin by reading
./web2c-<version>/web2c/README.

If this is your first TeX installation, you may not find the process
as easy as installing directly from our distribution tape, but ease is 
a matter of degree.  All installation processes require careful attention 
to detail, and knowledge of your system.  Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly), 
and you improve your chances of success.  

Those who purchase distribution tapes from us support this reply service,
and receive installation help should they need it.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network users interested in TeX software will find much that is useful in 
the following FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) documents on rtfm.mit.edu
(18.70.0.209) in ~pub/usenet/comp.text.tex:

        T,_L,_e.:_F_A_Q_w_A_[M] 
                (i.e., TeX, LaTeX, etc.: FAQ with Answers [Monthly])

There is also a supplement to the FAQ containing FTP locations; it's in
the same place on rtfm.mit.edu.

A beautifully done index of macros for TeX and LaTeX is available on 
theory.lcs.mit.edu (18.52.0.92) in ~/pub/tex/TeX-index.

These files are all included in ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/src.tar.gz.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are concerned about connect-time, search or retrieval problems,
or require help in building and installing the basic TeX/LaTeX and
Metafont programs on your machines, you may wish to consider ordering a
distribution tape from

        Northwest Computing Support Center
        DR-10, Thomson Hall 35
        University of Washington
        Seattle WA  98195

        phone: (206) 543-6259

A distribution fee in the area of $210 for domestic U.S. sites covers
the expenses of putting together and maintaining the distribution, its
equipment, and of providing information and installation-support
services.  The University of Washington does not subsidize the Unix TeX
distribution.

E-mail queries concerning the distribution tape should be sent to: 

   [email-masked] 

otherwise to:  

   [email-masked]    (Dr. Pierre A. MacKay).

********************************************************************
All services of the Unix TeX distribution are funded by tape orders.
       Please do not be shy about asking us for information.

Northwest Computing Support Center   Email: [email-masked]
University of Washington, DR-10      Phone: 206 543-6259 M-F 8a-12n
Seattle WA  98195  USA
********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Jan 1994 12:56:49 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: Movement of german CTAN host

The german node of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN) has
moved from 

ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

to

ftp.dante.de

The latter is a dedicated machine, kindly supplied by the Association
of german speaking TeX users (DANTE e.V.). We are grateful to the
computing center of the University of Stuttgart, especially Barbara
Burr and her crew, for having supplied the services to run the TeX
archive on one of their hosts and to DANTE and its members for
contributing the necessary funds through their membership fees.

Note that ftp.uni-stuttgart will continue to offer access to the TeX
archive; users of that node will not notice any difference.

   Rainer Schoepf
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum
    fuer Informationstechnik Berlin
   Heilbronner Strasse 10
   D-10711 Berlin
   Federal Republic of Germany
   <[email-masked]> or <[email-masked]>

------------------------------
 
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
  On Internet or JANET:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
        SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your real name>
        UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
  On BITNET:
    send a similar one-line mail message to LISTSERV@nodename

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  
The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (134.151.44.19) -- UK
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10)  -- USA
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)    -- Germany
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in

    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in

    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 94 Issue 1]
****************************************