Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #09
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 10:59:39 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Tuesday,  2 May 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 09
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                         Re: Czech characters
                    Best way to colorize a crest?
         smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert package
                      Smaller displaystyle \int?
                       Macros for Formal Proofs
                           amsfonts package
                        modes.mf 2.3 available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 04 Apr 1995 18:34:22 +0200
From:    Petr Sojka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Czech characters

: From:    Andre HECK <[email-masked]>
: 
: Could anyone tell me where I could find a macro for producing 
: u with a small circle on top?
The TeX way is \accent23u
The LaTeX[2e] syntax is \r{u}
Yours
Petr Sojka <[email-masked]>
: Many thanks in advance.
: A. Heck ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 07 Apr 1995 09:47:05 -0000
From:    "John M. Simmie, University College, Galway, Ireland"
         <[email-masked]>
Subject: Best way to colorize a crest?

We have our college crest in pk files eg dpi300
from which it is available in various sizes via command e.g. \crest4
in glorious black&white ...

What is the best way to "colorize" (sorry can't think of acceptable
alternative) it?

Regards, John
              -------------------------------------------------
                             Dr. John M. Simmie
              Chemistry Department             Roinn na Ceimice
              University College         Col=E1iste na hOllscoile
              Galway                                   Gaillimh
              Ireland                                      Eire
              Fax: (+353)-91-25700          F=F3n:(+353)-91-50388
              -------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 15 Apr 1995 08:54:47 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Sanchez)
Subject: smallcaps and oldnumerals in Lucida B expert package

Hello, I bought the full Lucida Bright font package from Y&Y, including
the expert fonts (boldmath, smallcaps and text figures). I changed their 
names to the Berry scheme in order to use Mr. Rahtz metric files in CTAN. 
I needed to do this since I needed T1 encoding as I write mostly in 
spanish nowdays.  In a note about the lucbr package Mr. Rahtz points out 
that "support for the expert package has been added specially for the 
boldmath fonts". However, it seems that only support for boldmath was 
added as the smallcaps and oldnumerals are still derived from the caps 
and titling figures (and hence look lighter). 

Has any created the necesary virtual fonts and metric files to take care 
of this? 

             Victor Sanchez
             Universidad Tecnologica de Panama

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 Apr 1995 16:29:22 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Martin Ward)
Subject: Smaller displaystyle \int?

A collegue is writing an integration theory book using plain tex
at \magstep1. She wants the integral sign to be slightly smaller 
in displaystyle -- about the size of a \magstep0 or \magstephalf
displaystyle \int. Is there an easy way to achieve this?
Would LaTeX2e give a better/simpler solution?

Thanks!

                        Martin.

JANET: [email-masked]    Internet (eg US): [email-masked]
or if that fails:  [email-masked]  
or even: [email-masked]
BITNET: Martin.Ward%durham.ac.uk@UKACRL UUCP:...!uknet!durham!Martin.Ward

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 23 Apr 1995 20:38:25 +0000
From:    Dominic Steinitz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Macros for Formal Proofs

Are there any macros for presenting formal proofs in propositional and
predicate calculus? If so, where are they to be found?

Dom. 
- -- 
Dominic Steinitz [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 01 May 1995 12:16:15 +0100
From:    "K.Lockyear" <[email-masked]>
Subject: amsfonts package

I have recently downloaded the amsfonts package (2.2) from the Cambridge
CTAN.  I installed the package as per instructions on my system. 
However, when I try to create the manual (using plain tex as per
instructions) or to use the fonts, I get the error message:

Bad font metric (tfm) file   .....

Before I try to recreate the tfms from the source files has anyone any
bright ideas what might be wrong.

I am using emTeX (tex386), with the December 1994 version of latex2e as
supplied by the UKTUG.

Could respondents mail me direct as well as to the list as I get TexHax
in digest format rather infrequently.

Cheers, Kris Lockyear
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 16 Apr 1995 07:55:41 -0400
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: modes.mf 2.3 available

I have released version 2.3 of modes.mf.  You can get it by anonymous ftp from

        ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/modes.mf

and shortly from ftp.cdrom.com:pub/tex/modes.mf and the ctan sites in
/tex-archive/fonts/modes/modes-2.3.mf.  finger [email-masked] for a
list of all the CTAN sites and mirrors.

You can also get it by email if you cannot ftp: email [email-masked]
with a body of `sendme modes'.

News:
* New modes for the Epson Stylus (epstylus) and the 800dpi Apple
  LaserWriter 810 (lwpro).
* Updated the config.ps example for the SparcPrinter.

As always, thanks to the contributors.

General information:
It's generally of no use to mail me about devices not in modes.mf;
everything I know about is already included.  It also includes lots of
text about how to create a new mode_def, etc.

modes.mf is a collection of Metafont mode_def's.  It also makes common
definitions for write/white printers, `special' information, and
landscape mode.  It uses up too much memory for the table sizes in the
original mf.web, so you either have to increase the sizes (as in Web2c)
or rename the file and remove unneeded modes.  I can't decipher mf.web
well enough to understand how to make the modes use less memory; if some
Metafont hacker can tell me, I'd very much like to hear it.

If you have mode_def's which are not listed below, or corrections to the
existing ones, please send them to me.  Improvements to the exposition,
particularly in how to create a new mode_def, are also welcome.

[email-masked]

mode_def agfafzz =                      % AGFA 400PS
mode_def amiga =                        % Commodore Amiga
mode_def aps =                          % Autologic APS-Micro5
mode_def apssixhi =                     % Autologic APS-Micro6
mode_def atariezf =                     % Atari ST SLM 804 printer
mode_def atarinf =                      % Atari 95dpi previewer
mode_def atarins =                      % Atari 96x96 previewer
mode_def atariotf =                     % Atari ST SM 124 screen
mode_def bitgraph =                     % BBN Bitgraph at 118dpi
mode_def bjtenex =                      % Canon BubbleJet 10ex
mode_def boise =                        % HP 2680A
mode_def canonex =                      % CanonEX in LaserWriter Pro 630
mode_def canonlbp =                     % e.g., Symbolics LGP-10
mode_def cg =                           % Compugraphic 8600
mode_def cgl =                          % Compugraphic 8600 landscape
mode_def cgnszz =                       % Compugraphic 9600
mode_def crs =                          % Alphatype CRS
mode_def cx =                           % Canon CX, SX, LBP-LX
mode_def datadisc =                     % DataDisc
mode_def newdd =                        % DataDisc with special aspect ratio
mode_def declarge =                     % DEC 19-inch, 1280 x 1024
mode_def decsmall =                     % DEC 17-inch, 1024 x 768
mode_def deskjet =                      % HP DeskJet 500
mode_def docutech =                     % Xerox 8790 or 4045
mode_def dover =                        % Xerox Dover
mode_def epsdrft =                      % Epson at 120x72dpi
mode_def epsdrftl =                     % Epson at 120x72dpi landscape
mode_def epsfast =                      % Epson at 60x72dpi
mode_def epsfastl =                     % Epson at 60x72dpi landscape
mode_def epson =                        % 9-pin Epson MX/FX family
mode_def epsonl =                       % 9-pin Epson MX/FX family landscape
mode_def epsonact =                     % Epson Action Laser 1500
mode_def epsonlo =                      % Epson at 120x216dpi
mode_def epsonlol =                     % Epson at 120x216dpi landscape
mode_def epstylus =                     % Epson Stylus
mode_def gtfax =                        % 204 x 196dpi G3fax
mode_def gtfaxl =                       % 204 x 196dpi G3fax landscape
mode_def gtfaxlo =                      % 204 x 98dpi G3fax
mode_def gtfaxlol =                     % 204 x 98dpi G3fax landscape
mode_def hprugged =                     % HP RuggedWriter 480
mode_def ibm_a =                        % IBM 38xx (\#1)
mode_def ibmd =                         % IBM 38xx (\#2)
mode_def ibmega =                       % IBM EGA monitor
mode_def ibmegal =                      % IBM EGA monitor landscape
mode_def ibmfzon =                      % IBM 4019
mode_def ibmfztn =                      % IBM 4029-30, 4250
mode_def ibmpp =                        % IBM ProPrinter
mode_def ibmppl =                       % IBM ProPrinter landscape
mode_def ibmsoff =                      % IBM 6154 display
mode_def sherpa =                       % IBM 6670 (Sherpa)
mode_def ibmteot =                      % IBM 3812
mode_def ibmtetz =                      % IBM 3820
mode_def ibmtont =                      % IBM 3193 screen
mode_def ibmtosn =                      % IBM 3179 screen
mode_def ibmtosnl =                     % IBM 3179 screen landscape
mode_def ibmvga =                       % IBM VGA monitor
mode_def ibx =                          % Chelgraph IBX
mode_def itoh =                         % CItoh 8510A
mode_def itohl =                        % CItoh 8510A landscape
mode_def itohtoz =                      % CItoh 310
mode_def itohtozl =                     % CItoh 310 landscape
mode_def iw =                           % Apple ImageWriter
mode_def jetiiisi =                     % HP Laser Jet IIISi
mode_def lasf =                         % DEC LA75
mode_def linolo =                       % Linotype Linotronic [13]00 at 635dpi
mode_def linoone =                      % Linotype Linotronic [13]00 at 1270dpi
mode_def linotzzh =                     % Linotype Linotronic 300 at 2540dpi
mode_def ljfour =                       % 600dpi HP LaserJet 4
mode_def ljlo =                         % HP LaserJet at 150dpi
mode_def lmaster =                      % 1000dpi LaserMaster
mode_def lnzo =                         % DEC LN01
mode_def lps =                          % DEC LPS40
mode_def lpstz =                        % DEC lps20
mode_def lqlores =                      % Epson LQ-500, 180x180dpi
mode_def lqmed =                        % Epson LQ-500, 360x180dpi
mode_def lqmedl =                       % Epson LQ-500, 360x180dpi landscape
mode_def lview =                        % Sigma L-View monitor
mode_def lwpro =                        % Apple LaserWriterPro 810
mode_def macmag =                       % Mac screens at magstep 1
mode_def mactrue =                      % Mac screens at 72dpi
mode_def ncd =                          % NCD 19-inch
mode_def nec =                          % NEC
mode_def nechi =                        % NEC-P6 at 360x360dpi
mode_def nexthi =                       % NeXT 400dpi, Newgen
mode_def nextscrn =                     % 100dpi NeXT monitor
mode_def nullmode =                     % TFM files only
mode_def ocessfz =                      % OCE 6750-PS
mode_def okidata =                      % Okidata
mode_def okidatal =                     % Okidata landscape
mode_def pcscreen =                     % also, e.g., high-resolution Suns
mode_def phaser =                       % Tektronix Phaser PXi
mode_def prntware =                     % Printware 720IQ
mode_def qms =                          % QMS (Xerox engine)
mode_def qmsostf =                      % QMS 1725
mode_def qmsoszz =                      % QMS 1700
mode_def ricoh =                        % e.g., TI Omnilaser
mode_def ricoha =                       % e.g., IBM 4216
mode_def ricohlp =                      % e.g., DEC LN03
mode_def sparcptr =                     % Sun SPARCprinter
mode_def starnlt =                      % Star NL-10
mode_def starnltl =                     % Star NL-10 landscape
mode_def sun =                          % Sun and BBN Bitgraph at 85dpi
mode_def supre =                        % Ultre*setter at 2400dpi
mode_def toshiba =                      % Toshiba 13XX, EpsonLQ
mode_def ultre =                        % Ultre*setter at 1200dpi
mode_def vs =                           % VAXstation monitor
mode_def vtftzz =                       % Varityper 4200 B-P
mode_def vtftzzhi =                     % Varityper 4300P at 2400dpi
mode_def vtftzzlo =                     % Varityper 4300P at 1200dpi
mode_def vtfzszw =                      % Varitype 5060W, APS 6
mode_def vtszz =                        % Varityper Laser 600
mode_def xrxesnz =                      % Xerox 8790 or 4045
mode_def xrxfzfz =                      % Xerox 4050/4075/4090/4700
mode_def xrxnszz =                      % Xerox 9700
mode_def xrxtszz =                      % Xerox 3700

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
TeXhax Digest issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context Indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 9]
****************************************