Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #03
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:40:56 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Monday, 23 Jan 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 03
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                    Plain text and numbering lines
     Sauter Tools for Computer Modern Fonts Version 2.3 released
                    Announcing gsftopk version 1.8
                  Immediate bug fixes to Sauter-2.3

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:58:25 -0600
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Plain text and numbering lines

I frequently have the need to produce pages of output which have the
lines numbered in the left margin (so that people can easily refer
to page nnn, line mmm). I have looked at Chapter 23 of "The
TeXbook", and it seems that such a thing should not be impossible,
but there is nothing there to guide me as to whether such a thing is
easy and, if so, how to do it. I have also looked through several
collections of TeX macros and not found anything to do the job (so
perhaps it is not so easy after all).

Does anyone have any clues as to how to produce this seemingly simple 
effect?

- -------------------------------------------------------
Doc Evans NQ0I / G4AMJ : [email-masked]
                         [email-masked]
- -------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 1995 22:57:31 +0100
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Sauter Tools for Computer Modern Fonts Version 2.3 released

The release 2.3 of the Sauter tools to generate true sized fonts contains 
the following news:

* Support for LaTeX2e 1994/12/01
* Full support of SliTeX fonts (including invisible fonts)
* Fixes to cmcsc fonts, wasy fonts, and bbold fonts.
* Bold Caps and Small Caps
* An experimental Sperrsatz font
* More differentiated directory structure

If you already have an older version of the Sauter fonts, please regenerate
the cmcsc fonts. They have been changed to match exactly the extra sizes 
provided by the AMS. In this course I have also restored John Sauter's 
formula for sizes above 10pt.

If you had Sauterised wasy and bbold fonts, please regenerate them, they 
have changed. If you had Sauterised cyrillic, please regenerate cmbz. The 
unit width now matches the one of cmrz. 

Send any questions, comments and suggestions to

J"org Knappen    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:47:46 -0800
From:    [email-masked] (Paul Vojta)
Subject: Announcing gsftopk version 1.8

This is to announce that version 1.8 of gsftopk is available.  gsftopk is
a utility that calls Ghostscript to render PostScript fonts, and then converts
them into pk format.  The main goal is to be able to view PostScript fonts
in xdvi.

The current version fixes a couple minor bugs (seg fault when running
without arguments, and inability to handle .pfb files).

To upgrade, you can either:

   1.   get the whole package again:

                CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk.tar.gz

   or

   2.   apply the following patch to version 1.7:

                CTAN:tex-archive/fonts/utilities/gsftopk/gsftopk.patch8.gz

These files are also available in Unix compress format from math.berkeley.edu
in the directory pub/Software/TeX.

Users of gs 3.x should note that, although this patch fixes a bug regarding
.pfb files, there still are some bugs in gs 3.1.2 affecting .pfb files.

- --Paul Vojta, [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 23 Jan 1995 14:41:19 +0100
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Immediate bug fixes to Sauter-2.3

I did two immediate bug fixes to the Sauter-2.3 distribution, namely the 
files b-cmcsc.mf and sautmath.fd were replaced.

The Sauter-2.3 package can be found on the CTAN archives in 
tex-archive/fonts/cm/sauter23/...

Thanks to the people who reported the bugs.

- --J"org Knappen.

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 3]
****************************************