Subject: TeXhax Digest V95 #02
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 13:03:31 +0000

TeXhax Digest    Monday, 16 Jan 1995  Volume 95 : Issue 02
(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:
                      xdvi window sizing problem
                        lamstex and amstex 2.1
                         John Rutter: Latex2e
                               Latex2e
       kpathsea 2.6/xdvik 18f/dvipsk 5.58f/dviljk 2.5 available
                    xtem X11-TeX-menu, new release
                  HyperTeXhax on the World Wide Web

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Jan 1995 12:29:23 +0000
From:    David Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Subject: xdvi window sizing problem

When using xdvi (patchlevel 15) on a PC with a small (14") monitor
acting as an X-terminal, the panel of control buttons on the right hand
side of the window becomes truncated rather than rescaled.  This results
in the loss of access to the 'Next' button and those that normally occur
below it in a fully sized window. The display area is also truncated,
but access to the 'missing' part is available using the slider bars in
the usual way. 

The effect is the same as resizing the xdvi window when running with a
larger (17") monitor using either the mouse or the -geometry option at
startup to resize the window.

Is this something we have to live with (by using the keyboard
alternatives to the missing buttons); do later versions deal with the
problem or am I missing some obvious solution to it?

David Lindsey ([email-masked])
Aberdeen University Computing Centre

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 11 Jan 1995 16:01:20 -0600
From:    Cliff Bergman <[email-masked]>
Subject: lamstex and amstex 2.1

LamsTeX uses a special version of AMSTeX called amstexl.tex.  All of
the distribution sites I've checked (including CTAN) contain amstex-l
derived from amstex version 2.0.  Has anyone created an updated version
of amstexl for the newest (version 2.1) of amstex?

cliff bergman
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 11:13:51 +0000
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: John Rutter: Latex2e

uktug-enquiries is not an appropriate address for submitting technical
questions; I am forwarding you question to TeXhax for consideration.

(The address you mailed to is for enquiries about membership, etc., of
UK TUG.)

Robin Fairbairns

- ------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 10:51:54 GMT
From: John Rutter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Latex2e
To: [email-masked]

Dear TUG, I am composing a document in Latex 2e, but have difficulty
in finding a system which has installed amscd.  The file may not have
been included in the Latex distribution: it has not for example been
included with a recently supplied copy of Latex 2e for Textures nor
has it been installed on our unix machine.  I have obtained it by ftp
from Stanford, but am not sure, in view of its non-supply whether the
version there is compatible with the current version of Latex 2e.  Can
you please advise me? Similar remarks apply to the package \changebar.
Another problem I have had with running Latex 2e is the apparent
non-availability on our systems of the font which corresponds to
commands such as \rightsquigarrow.  Has this font not been include in
the amssymb package?  Many thanks in advance.
                                                         John Rutter.

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

An answer:

amscd is part of AMSLaTeX, and as such is available with AMSLaTeX.

The source is available in the canonical place for all TeX-related
matter, your neighbourhood CTAN (ftp.tex.ac.uk); it appears in more
than one location in the archive, but the master is tex-archive/
fonts/ams/amslatex; you are expected to pull the whole directory, and
to install it by means of the various .ins files -- see READ.ME for
details.

As a general rule you should not try Stanford for anything nowadays.
While stuff is often available from there, it's not maintained with
the same assiduity that is applied to the CTAN machines.

Robin Fairbairns

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 09 Jan 1995 19:15:13 -0500
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: kpathsea 2.6/xdvik 18f/dvipsk 5.58f/dviljk 2.5 available

New versions of dvipsk/xdvik/dviljk are in the usual place:
        ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{xdvik,dvipsk,dviljk}.tar.gz
        ... mirrored at ftp.cdrom.com:/.14/tex/tex-k
        ... and CTAN and its mirrors; see the end of this message.
Please use the nearest site, to reduce the load on our old Sparc 1.

I will not be reading email until next Tuesday (January 17), so I've
left the previous versions in place, just in case there are big problems
with this release, despite the efforts of the pretesters.

This version primarily fixes problems with the last release. The most
notable other change is that I've replaced the kpsexpand program 
with something more general program, kpsewhich.

John Interrante will update the patch for web2c 6.1 soon.  (Naturally, I
am working on the next release of web2c.  It will be ready no sooner
than a month or two from now (and perhaps significantly longer); it's no
use to ask me precisely when, as I simply do not know.)

As always, thanks to the many people who contributed.  I tried to record
names in the ChangeLog entries.

Please report bugs to [email-masked]. 
Email [email-masked] with a line containing
    subscribe [email-masked]
in the body of the message to join this mailing list.

If you only want to see announcements, not bug reports and discussion,
subscribe to [email-masked] instead.  (Email
[email-masked] to join that list.)

[email-masked]
Help fight the new programming monopolies -- write [email-masked].

Here's the NEWS:

kpathsea 2.6
* MakeTeXPK installed from kpathsea, instead of each driver.
* MakeTeXPK.site looked for in texmf/web2c, instead of texmf/dvips.
* texmf.cnf installed and looked for in texmf/web2c, instead of texmf.
* If a mode is not explicitly specified, search all subdirectories (this
  was actually in a previous release).
* install-sh only looked for in the top-level directory.
* kpsewhich replaces and generalizes kpsexpand.

xdvik 18f
* --with-ps=dps works again, and multiple --with-ps options are allowed.
* Don't warn about overstrike characters if copy mode was explicitly requested.
* Class name for the `mfmode' resource changed to `MFmode'.
* SIGIO configure test may work with compilers besides gcc.

dvipsk 5.58f
* EMTeX specials supported by default.

dviljk 2.5
* Redefining MFMODE[36]00 actually works, and is documented.

Here are the CTAN sites and their mirrors:

prompt$ finger [email-masked]
[...]
Known partial mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  dongpo.math.ncu.edu.tw (Taiwan)       /tex-archive
  ftp.adfa.oz.au (Australia)            /pub/tex/ctan
  ftp.muni.cz (The Czech Republic)      /pub/tex/CTAN
  nic.switch.ch (Switzerland)           /mirror/tex
  ftp.cs.ruu.nl (The Netherlands)       /pub/tex-archive

Known mirrors of the CTAN reside on (alphabetically):
  ftp.center.osaka-u.ac.jp (Japan)      /CTAN
  ftp.cs.rmit.edu.au  (Australia)       /tex-archive
  ftp.duke.edu (North Carolina, USA)    /tex-archive
  ftp.loria.fr (France)                 /pub/unix/tex/ctan
  ftp.uni-bielefeld.de (Germany)        /pub/tex
  ftp.uni-stuttgart.de (Germany)        /tex-archive (/pub/tex)
  ftp.uu.net (Virginia, USA)            /pub/text-processing/TeX
  ftpserver.nus.sg (Singapore)          /pub/zi/TeX
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk (England)            /packages/tex/uk-tex
  sunsite.unc.edu (North Carolina, USA) /pub/packages/TeX
  wuarchive.wustl.edu (Missouri, USA)   /packages/TeX
Please send updates to this list to <[email-masked]>.

The participating hosts in the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network are:
  ftp.dante.de  (Germany)         
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.shsu.edu  (Texas, USA)      
       -- anonymous ftp and gopher      /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- NFS mountable from ftp.SHSU.edu:/pub/ftp/tex-archive
       -- e-mail via [email-masked]
       -- World Wide Web access on www.SHSU.edu
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>
  ftp.tex.ac.uk (England)               
       -- anonymous ftp                 /tex-archive (/pub/tex /pub/archive)
       -- gopher on node gopher.tex.ac.uk
       -- NFS mountable from nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive
       -- World Wide Web access on www.tex.ac.uk
       -- Administrator: <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:34:13 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Roland Weibezahn)
Subject: xtem X11-TeX-menu, new release

We announce the new version (3.12.1) of 

        "xtem",   an  X11-TeX-menu  

xtem provides for a simple and comfortable graphical user interface to control
the following facilities:
  - editor (vi, emacs, ...)  including additional windows for the
    LaTeX-syntax (using hypertext) and examples
  - TeX, LaTeX, ...
  - previewer (ghostview, xdvi, TkDvi, ...)
  - printing (including comfortable printer selection, ...)
  - syntax and spelling check
  - makeindex
  - bibtex
  - additional programs as required
    .
    .
    .

Online help is available for all the buttons and windows by simple mouse click.
xtem is written for Unix platforms and has been tested on many systems.
It requires Tcl (version 7.3), the appropriate Tk (including patch P1)
and TclX. The configuration has to be done by the local TeX-Administrator 
by adapting configuration files ("open lists").

xtem is available by anonymous ftp from the CTAN-servers
   (in directory  /pub/tex/support/xtem_texmenu)

It is also available directly from  
    ftp.lrw.uni-bremen.de   /pub/tex/xtem_version3.12

(English and German descriptions, README's and the program itself)

Here you can also obtain Tcl (7.3), Tk (3.6+p1), TclX   (in /pub/tcl)

Happy and comfortable TeXing,

the authors:  G. Lamprecht, W. Lotz, R. Weibezahn

- ------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Roland Weibezahn           Phone  :  +49-421-218-3532
LRW Bremen                     Telefax:  +49-421-218-4112
c/o University Bremen
Bibliothekstr. 1               Postbox:  330440
28359 Bremen                   28334 Bremen
Germany                        email:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:18:32 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: HyperTeXhax on the World Wide Web

TeXhax is now available in a hypertext form over the World Wide Web
(WWW).  I've extracted all the articles from the 1994 and 1995 issues
of the digest and run them through Hypermail to create a set of Web
pages which can be accessed sequentially, or by means of indexes of
subject, thread, date or author.  I've also done the same for last
year's UKTeX Digest.  I hope to keep this year's hypertext version of
TeXhax up to date as each issue of the digest is produced.  The URLs
for this year's and last year's TeXhax, and for last year's UKTeX are

UK/Europe:
    http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/texhax/95/
    http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/texhax/94/
    http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/uktex/94/

USA:
    http://www.shsu.edu/tex-archive/digests/hyper/texhax/95/
    http://www.shsu.edu/tex-archive/digests/hyper/texhax/94/
    http://www.shsu.edu/tex-archive/digests/hyper/uktex/94/

Alternative access may be available via HTTP or ftp to some of the
various mirrors of the CTAN archive, for example
    http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/tex/uk-tex/digests/hyper/texhax/95/
Read the file http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/CTAN.sites for details
of the mirror sites which may be closer to you.

~~David Osborne (TeXhax Digest moderator)
  Web: http://www.nott.ac.uk/~cczdao/

------------------------------
About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 95 Issue 2]
****************************************