Subject: TeXhax Digest V94 #08
From: [email-masked]
To: TeXhax Distribution: ;
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 1994 17:44:24 +0100

TeXhax Digest    Wednesday,  7 Sep 1994  Volume 94 : Issue 08

Today's Topics:
       Translating TFM and GF or PK files into Metafont source?
              Re: Announcement: Sauter tools Version 2.2
                                PCTeX?
                             underlining
                          Graphics in LaTeX
                        Latex viewer for IBMPC
[comp.text.tex] mcite: Combining several BibTeX entries into one \bibitem
       [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCING: Seminar Package for LaTeX2e
            EuroTeX '94: bookings close on September 12th
                         modes 2.1 available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:    David Osborne and Peter Abbott
    Contributions: [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe texhax" or "unsubscribe texhax", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 29 Aug 1994 13:35:19 +0200
From:    Andrzej Icha <[email-masked]>
Subject: Translating TFM and GF or PK files into Metafont source?

Is there any possibility which can translate TFM and suitable
GF (or PK) files into METAFONT sourcefiles?
Thank you very much for any information.

Andrzej Icha
Institute of Oceanology, PAS, Sopot, Poland
<[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 29 Aug 1994 16:30:24 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Announcement: Sauter tools Version 2.2

>The Sauter tools allow you to generate any font out of the cm family at an 
>arbitrary design size by interpolating between the Knuthian parameters or
>extrapolating them. The Sauter fonts can be used to replace any scaled 
>fonts used by LaTeX and plain TeX.

Can someone please explain to me in what way this is different/better from 
simply letting MF build fonts.

Thank you.
  Doc Evans

Doc Evans NQ0I/G4AMJ : [email-masked]
                       [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 02 Sep 1994 16:56:10 -0400
From:    Wang Wei <[email-masked]>
Subject: PCTeX?

Can anybody tell me if there is a software called PCTeX. I think
it might be a version of TeX or LaTeX for PC.

Thanks,

- --Wei

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 03 Sep 1994 17:30:30 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: underlining

I know that the TeXbook says that the best way to do underlining is to
build a new font, but for my purposes that seems like overkill. On the
other hand, all my simple macros to produce underlined text fail to
produce the correct results. What I want is something like:
  \underline{This text should be underlined, but the space characters
contained in the text should be left without underlines}

This seems like it ought to be simple, and it probably is, but I can't
get a macro to do what I want. Anyone out there who can give me some
help?

Thanks
  Doc Evans

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 04 Sep 1994 16:50:12 +0800
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Graphics in LaTeX

Hello,

        I'm working on a project of LaTeX.  I heard that LaTeX's graphics
command can't describe all graphics generated by xfig.  Is that true?
Thanks.

Rgds
James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` James Ching    CSC 4/4          `                               `
` Department of Computer Science  `     人不能没有梦          `
` Email : [email-masked]     `     但也不能只活在梦中    ` 
`         [email-masked]      `                               `
`                                 `                               `
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 05 Sep 1994 12:18:00 -0500
From:    [email-masked] (Dr. Nathan Brener)
Subject: Latex viewer for IBMPC

Hi, would you tell me where can I find a shareware to display Latex file
on IBMPC. Thank you.

Weian Deng

------------------------------

Date:    19 Aug 1994 11:53:58 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Thorsten Ohl)
Subject: [comp.text.tex] mcite: Combining several BibTeX entries into one \bibitem

Last week I asked and only got `me too' responses.  Thus I sat down
yesterday evening and wrote it myself (that's The True Trouble with
TeX:  it's too much fun wasting your time by hacking up cutee little
macros :-).  Anyway, you can get it from

  crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de:pub/ohl/mcite

and (hopefully) soon from a CTAN site near you.

This LaTeX2e package provides support for collapsing multiple
citations into one, as custumoary in physics journals.  For example
\cite{foo1,*foo2,bar} will combine the BibTeX entries foo1 and foo2
into a single \bibitem.  Obviously, the non-trivial point is that it
works with BibTeX.  See mcite.dtx for more detailed documentation.

Enjoy,
- -Thorsten
- --
/// Thorsten Ohl, TH Darmstadt, Schlossgartenstr. 9, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
//////////////// net: [email-masked], [email-masked]
/// voice: +49-6151-16-3116, secretary: +49-6151-16-2072, fax: +49-6151-16-2421

------------------------------

Date:    29 Aug 1994 18:25:46 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Timothy Van Zandt)
Subject: [comp.text.tex] ANNOUNCING: Seminar Package for LaTeX2e

Hey netters, don't be fooled by LaTeX2e's slides class.
It is still lame, compared to the amazing Seminar package.

V1.0 of seminar.sty works with LaTeX2e in compatibility
mode, but I have finally added a seminar.cls that works
in LaTeX2e's native mode. This is a minimal modification
of seminar.sty, not a new version. The new distribution
is called V1.0e. If you already have v1.0, the only
new files you need are

  seminar.cls semhelv.sty semlcmss.sty
  
from

  Princeton.EDU:/pub/tvz/seminar/inputs
  
You can also get the entire package (which still includes
seminar.sty and still works with LaTeX 2.09).

Let me know about any problems.

Thanks to Sebastian Rahtz for making the necessary changes.

Tim
- ---
Timothy Van Zandt   (609)258-4050  [email-masked] (NeXTMail)
Dept. of Economics,  Princeton University,  Princeton, NJ 08544

THIS IS A SUPPLEMENTARY READ-ME FOR V1.0e OF THE SEMINAR PACKAGE

***********************************************************************
****    "readme" file for the Seminar package, v1.0e, 94/08/24     ****
***********************************************************************

COPYRIGHT 1993, 1994 by Timothy Van Zandt, [email-masked]

ABOUT V1.0e:

  V1.0e is identical to v1.0 of 93/04/01, except for a few changes
  so that Seminar can work with NFSS2 and LaTeX2e:

   - semhelv.sty and semlcmss.sty have been modified to work
     with NFSS2 and LaTeX2e (but they still work with NFSS).

   - seminar.cls has been added. This is a LaTeX2e document class,
     derived from seminar.sty v1.0 by Sebastian Rahtz.

  If you already have have seminar.sty v1.0e, then all you need
  are this read-me file plus these files from the inputs
  directory:

    seminar.cls semhelv.sty semlcmss.sty

USING SEMINAR WITH LATEX2E:

  !!! YOU MUST BE USING A LATEX2E RELEASED AFTER 19 FEBRUARY 1994

  You can either use seminar.sty in compatibility mode:
    \documentstyle{seminar}
  Or use the seminar.cls document class:
    \documentclass{seminar}

  Unless you are using other macros that only work in
  compatibility mode, you might as well use the document class.

  You can use the following options with \documentclass{seminar}:

    article  slidesonly  notes  notesonly  notesonly*
    noxcomment  portrait  a4  semhelv semlcmss semlayer
    semrot semcolor slidesec
  
  NOTE: Use `a4', not `sem-a4'.

  `seminar.cls' is a minimal modification of seminar.sty. The
  next release will take advantage of more of LaTeX2e's special
  capabilities.

Tim Van Zandt
[email-masked]
August 24, 1994
- -- 
Timothy Van Zandt   (609)258-4050  [email-masked] (NeXTMail)
Dept. of Economics,  Princeton University,  Princeton, NJ 08544

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 02 Sep 1994 18:22:10 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: EuroTeX '94: bookings close on September 12th

[Sent with apologies to those lists that prefer submissions
 in their native language, such as GUTenberg  and TeX-D-L.]

======================================================
EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94  
=======================================================

If you would like to participate in the most exciting
TeX users' meeting of 1994---Eurotex '94 in Gda\'nsk---
then please don't forget that there are only two weeks
left in which to enroll. The final possible date for
applications is September 12th.

The conference programme includes:

 -- Michel Goossens and Sebastian Rahtz
    Simple colour design, and colour in LaTeX-2e

 -- Bogus\l{}aw Jackowski and Marek Ry\'cko,
    Labyrinth of METAFONT paths in outline

 -- Kees van der Laan,
    BLUe's format---the best of both worlds 

 -- Klaus Lagally,
    Bidirectional line breaking with TeX macros

 -- Bernd Raichle,
    Sorting in TeX's mouth

 -- Laurent Siebenmann,
    Atomic fonts and electronic archiving of TeX documents

 -- Laurent Siebenmann,
    Occam's razor and macro management

 -- Petr Sojka and Pavel \v Seve\v cek,
    Hyphenation in TeX---Quo vadis?

 -- Philip Taylor,
    Defensive programing in TeX: Towards a better class of macro

 -- Andrey V. Astrelin,
    Graphics in TeX

 -- Vladimir Batagelj,
    Combining TeX and PostScript

 -- Janusz Bie\'n,
    Polish texts in multilingual environments (a case study)

 -- Lutz Birkhahn,
    Tdb: An X11 TeX Debugger

 -- Michel Goossens and Frank Mittelbach
    Real life book production---lessons learned from "The LaTeX Companion"

 -- Karel Horak,
    Fighting with big MetaFont pictures when printing them
    reversely or landscape 

 -- Olga Lapko,
    MAKEFONT as part of CyrTug/emTeX package.

 -- Marion Neubauer,
    Conversion from WORD/WordPerfect to LaTeX

 -- Eric Picheral,
    Building and supporting the GUTenberg archive

 -- Johannes Braams,                               
    Document classes and packages for LaTeX-2e     

 -- Erik Frambach and Wietse Dol,
    4TeX: A workbench for MS-DOS PCs

 -- Dag F. Langmyhr,
    How to make your own document style in LaTeX-2e

 -- J\"org Knappen:                                
    Towards a 256-character IPA font

 -- Friedhelm Sowa,
    Printing colour pictures

 -- Andrey F. Slepukhin,
    A package for Church Slavonic typesetting

 -- Philip Taylor,
    e-TeX & NTS: a progress report

 -- Ji\v r\'\i{} Zlatu\v ska,
    Surviving in a multi-lingual world with multiple font encodings

 -- Yannis Halarambous, 
    Typesetting the Hebrew Bible with TeX

 -- Yannis Halarambous,
    \Omega, a TeX extension including unicode and
    featuring Lex-like filtering processes

    For further details please contact: [email-masked], or get
    via ftp from halina.univ.gda.pl:/gust/eurotex   Programme and
    tutorial information will be found in prog.txt, courses/tutorial 
    abstracts in tutor.txt, booking form in bform.txt and finally 
    some advice on how to get to Gda\'nsk in howtoget.txt    

Conference organizers

W{\l}odek Bzyl,
Tomasz Przechlewski

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 02 Sep 1994 06:43:59 -0400
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: modes 2.1 available

I have released version 2.1 of modes.mf.  You can get it by anonymous ftp from

        ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/modes.mf

and shortly from the ctan sites in /tex-archive/fonts/modes/modes-2.1.mf.
finger [email-masked] for a list of all the CTAN sites and mirrors.

You can also get it by email from George Greenwade's (thanks, George!)
file server if you cannot ftp: email [email-masked] with a body of
`sendme modes'.

News:
No new modes, but I've added landscape definitions for all the devices
with meaningfully nonsquare aspect ratios, named as the primary device
with an `l' appended.  Some primary names were changed to be shorter as
a result, but the old names are still there as synonyms.

I've also been told that `ljfour' is suitable for the Apple Select 360,
and that the Xerox 4050 mode works for the Xerox 4700, so that
information is included.

It's generally of no use to mail me about devices not in modes.mf;
everything I know about is described therein.  It also includes lots of
text about how to create a new mode_def, etc.

General information:
modes.mf is a collection of Metafont mode_def's.  It also makes common
definitions for write/white printers, `special' information, and
landscape mode.  It uses up too much memory for the table sizes in the
original mf.web, so you either have to increase the sizes (as in Web2c)
or rename the file and remove unneeded modes.  I can't decipher mf.web
well enough to understand how to make the modes use less memory; if some
Metafont hacker can tell me, I'd very much like to hear it.

If you have mode_def's which are not listed below, or corrections to the
existing ones, please send them to me.  Improvements to the exposition,
particularly in how to create a new mode_def, are also welcome.

[email-masked]

mode_def agfafzz =                      % AGFA 400PS
mode_def amiga =                        % Commodore Amiga
mode_def aps =                          % Autologic APS-Micro5
mode_def apssixhi =                     % Autologic APS-Micro6
mode_def atariezf =                     % Atari ST SLM 804 printer
mode_def atarinf =                      % Atari 95dpi previewer
mode_def atarins =                      % Atari 96x96 previewer
mode_def atariotf =                     % Atari ST SM 124 screen
mode_def bitgraph =                     % BBN Bitgraph at 118dpi
mode_def bjtenex =                      % Canon BubbleJet 10ex
mode_def boise =                        % HP 2680A
mode_def canonex =                      % CanonEX in LaserWriter Pro 630
mode_def canonlbp =                     % e.g., Symbolics LGP-10
mode_def cg =                           % Compugraphic 8600
mode_def cgl =                          % Compugraphic 8600 landscape
mode_def cgnszz =                       % Compugraphic 9600
mode_def crs =                          % Alphatype CRS
mode_def cx =                           % Canon CX, SX, LBP-LX
mode_def datadisc =                     % DataDisc
mode_def newdd =                        % DataDisc with special aspect ratio
mode_def declarge =                     % DEC 19-inch, 1280 x 1024
mode_def decsmall =                     % DEC 17-inch, 1024 x 768
mode_def deskjet =                      % HP DeskJet 500
mode_def docutech =                     % Xerox 8790 or 4045
mode_def dover =                        % Xerox Dover
mode_def epsdrft =                      % Epson at 120x72dpi
mode_def epsdrftl =                     % Epson at 120x72dpi landscape
mode_def epsfast =                      % Epson at 60x72dpi
mode_def epsfastl =                     % Epson at 60x72dpi landscape
mode_def epson =                        % 9-pin Epson MX/FX family
mode_def epsonl =                       % 9-pin Epson MX/FX family landscape
mode_def epsonact =                     % Epson Action Laser 1500
mode_def epsonlo =                      % Epson at 120x216dpi
mode_def epsonlol =                     % Epson at 120x216dpi landscape
mode_def gtfax =                        % 204 x 196dpi G3fax
mode_def gtfaxl =                       % 204 x 196dpi G3fax landscape
mode_def gtfaxlo =                      % 204 x 98dpi G3fax
mode_def gtfaxlol =                     % 204 x 98dpi G3fax landscape
mode_def hprugged =                     % HP RuggedWriter 480
mode_def ibm_a =                        % IBM 38xx (\#1)
mode_def ibmd =                         % IBM 38xx (\#2)
mode_def ibmega =                       % IBM EGA monitor
mode_def ibmegal =                      % IBM EGA monitor landscape
mode_def ibmfzon =                      % IBM 4019
mode_def ibmfztn =                      % IBM 4029-30, 4250
mode_def ibmpp =                        % IBM ProPrinter
mode_def ibmppl =                       % IBM ProPrinter landscape
mode_def ibmsoff =                      % IBM 6154 display
mode_def sherpa =                       % IBM 6670 (Sherpa)
mode_def ibmteot =                      % IBM 3812
mode_def ibmtetz =                      % IBM 3820
mode_def ibmtont =                      % IBM 3193 screen
mode_def ibmtosn =                      % IBM 3179 screen
mode_def ibmtosnl =                     % IBM 3179 screen landscape
mode_def ibmvga =                       % IBM VGA monitor
mode_def ibx =                          % Chelgraph IBX
mode_def itoh =                         % CItoh 8510A
mode_def itohl =                        % CItoh 8510A landscape
mode_def itohtoz =                      % CItoh 310
mode_def itohtozl =                     % CItoh 310 landscape
mode_def iw =                           % Apple ImageWriter
mode_def jetiiisi =                     % HP Laser Jet IIISi
mode_def lasf =                         % DEC LA75
mode_def linolo =                       % Linotype Linotronic [13]00 at 635dpi
mode_def linoone =                      % Linotype Linotronic [13]00 at 1270dpi
mode_def linotzzh =                     % Linotype Linotronic 300 at 2540dpi
mode_def ljfour =                       % 600dpi HP LaserJet 4
mode_def ljlo =                         % HP LaserJet at 150dpi
mode_def lmaster =                      % 1000dpi LaserMaster
mode_def lnzo =                         % DEC LN01
mode_def lps =                          % DEC LPS40
mode_def lpstz =                        % DEC lps20
mode_def lqlores =                      % Epson LQ-500, 180x180dpi
mode_def lqmed =                        % Epson LQ-500, 360x180dpi
mode_def lqmedl =                       % Epson LQ-500, 360x180dpi landscape
mode_def lview =                        % Sigma L-View monitor
mode_def macmag =                       % Mac screens at magstep 1
mode_def mactrue =                      % Mac screens at 72dpi
mode_def ncd =                          % NCD 19-inch
mode_def nec =                          % NEC
mode_def nechi =                        % NEC-P6 at 360x360dpi
mode_def nexthi =                       % NeXT 400dpi, Newgen
mode_def nextscrn =                     % 100dpi NeXT monitor
mode_def nullmode =                     % TFM files only
mode_def ocessfz =                      % OCE 6750-PS
mode_def okidata =                      % Okidata
mode_def okidatal =                     % Okidata landscape
mode_def pcscreen =                     % also, e.g., high-resolution Suns
mode_def phaser =                       % Tektronix Phaser PXi
mode_def prntware =                     % Printware 720IQ
mode_def qms =                          % QMS (Xerox engine)
mode_def qmsostf =                      % QMS 1725
mode_def qmsoszz =                      % QMS 1700
mode_def ricoh =                        % e.g., TI Omnilaser
mode_def ricoha =                       % e.g., IBM 4216
mode_def ricohlp =                      % e.g., DEC LN03
mode_def sparcptr =                     % Sun SPARCprinter
mode_def starnlt =                      % Star NL-10
mode_def starnltl =                     % Star NL-10 landscape
mode_def sun =                          % Sun and BBN Bitgraph at 85dpi
mode_def supre =                        % Ultre*setter at 2400dpi
mode_def toshiba =                      % Toshiba 13XX, EpsonLQ
mode_def ultre =                        % Ultre*setter at 1200dpi
mode_def vs =                           % VAXstation monitor
mode_def vtftzz =                       % Varityper 4200 B-P
mode_def vtftzzhi =                     % Varityper 4300P at 2400dpi
mode_def vtftzzlo =                     % Varityper 4300P at 1200dpi
mode_def vtfzszw =                      % Varitype 5060W, APS 6
mode_def vtszz =                        % Varityper Laser 600
mode_def xrxesnz =                      % Xerox 8790 or 4045
mode_def xrxfzfz =                      % Xerox 4050/4075/4090/4700
mode_def xrxnszz =                      % Xerox 9700
mode_def xrxtszz =                      % Xerox 3700

------------------------------

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara,
CA 93102, USA.

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.

The hosts comprising CTAN include
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.

TeXhax Digest issues are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/texhax/YEAR/texhax.ISSUE
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/texhax/92/texhax.20)

Keyword-In-Context Indexes are kept in
    tex-archive/digests/indexes/texhaxYY.idx
    (e.g., /pub/archive/digests/indexes/texhax92.idx)

\bye

End of TeXhax Digest [Volume 94 Issue 8]
****************************************