Subject: TeXhax digest, Vol 2002 #3 - 6 msgs
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:15:10 +0000

Send TeXhax mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/texhax
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of TeXhax digest..."

TeXhax Digest ________________________________________ Volume 2002 : Number 3

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: automatic document production (Matej Cepl)
   2. Re: automatic document production (John Palmer)
   3. typesetting algorithms (=?iso-8859-2?q?Marx=20D=E1niel=20?=)
   4. bibtex question (David Wende)
   5. Re: bibtex question (Matej Cepl)
   6. modes.mf 3.5 available (Karl Berry)

--__--__--

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:26:48 -0500
From: Matej Cepl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: automatic document production

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:47:19PM +0100, Peter Kravanja wrote:
> I'm facing the following problem. An association has about 700
> members and keeps information about them (name, address,
> language skills, hobbies,...) in a database. Once a year this
> association wants to produce a book with all this information,
> to be published and distributed to the members.
>
> How can this be done in an efficient way? Does anyone know of
> some sort of interface between a database (which format??) and
> (La)TeX, so that with a few commands the relevant data gets
> extracted from the database and turned into a file that (La)TeX
> can process?

It is originally written for LyX (LaTeX based WYSIWYM
wordprocessor), but it will most certainly work even for plain
LaTeX. Try LyXQueries.py and LyXEnvelope.py on
http://emptydog.com/geekland/gl_lyx.html .

	Happy TeXing!

		Matej

--
Matej Cepl, [email-masked]
138 Highland Ave. #10, Somerville, Ma 02143, (617) 623-1488
.
We are told that [St. Anthony] once fell into dejection, finding
uninterrupted contemplation above his strength; but was taught to
apply himself at intervals to manual labour by a vision of an
angel who appeared platting mats of palm-tree leaves, then rising
to pray, and after some time sitting down again to work; and who
at length said to him, "Do thus, and thou shalt be saved."
	-- Life of St. Anthony

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:45:47 +0000 (GMT)
From: John Palmer <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: automatic document production

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Peter Kravanja <[email-masked]>
 wrote:

> I'm facing the following problem. An association has about 700 members and
> keeps information about them (name, address, language skills, hobbies,...)
> in a database. Once a year this association wants to produce a book with
> all this information, to be published and distributed to the members.
>
> How can this be done in an efficient way? Does anyone know of some sort of
> interface between a database (which format??) and (La)TeX, so that with a
> few commands the relevant data gets extracted from the database and turned
> into a file that (La)TeX can process?

Your data-set is small, so you don't need the facilities that database
systems provide for indexing and rapidly searching large bodies of data.
Indeed you say that your intention is to print the whole set rather than
to select subsets.

I would start with perl (http://www.cpan.org/) which will give you all the
facilities you need for transforming a list of members into LaTeX code.
Once you have that, you are quite likely not to need a real database
management system, since
 --your data-set is rather small;
 --you intend to process it as a whole rather than selectively.

A DBMS does of course impose some discipline on the data which can make
the perl programming easier; but in this case the benefits wouldn't (imho)
justify spending a lot of effort, still less money, on acquiring a DBMS.

Sorting the items into (alphabetical?) order can be done using either perl
facilities or a utility sort program, so you don't need a DBMS for that
either.

If you really feel you need a DBMS there are public licence, open source
DBMS like MySql (http://www.mysql.org/)

regards
John
--
John Palmer
4 Horyford Close, Preston, Weymouth DT3 6DJ, England
telephone: +44 1305 832240 office, 835410 domestic (same address)
e-mail:  [email-masked] (plain text preferred)
website: http://www.stx69.demon.co.uk/

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:36:40 +0100
From: =?iso-8859-2?q?Marx=20D=E1niel=20?= <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Subject: typesetting algorithms

Hello,

Which package is the most useful for typesetting algorithms? I've seen the=
 'alg', 'algorithm' and 'program' packages, are there others for this =
purpose? Do journals have a preferred way of typesetting algorithms?

Thanks,
Daniel Marx

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: David Wende <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: bibtex question
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:46:28 +0200

Hello TEXHAX,

Could someone please help.

1) I wish to quote a chapter in a book, such that the output looks
something like:

Chapter Author. Chapter Title. In: Book Author.  Book Title. etc etc.

2) How do I get bibtext to cite the reference in round braces () instead
of square braces [].

Thanks

David Wende
Manager Board Design
Lynx Photonic Networks

Tel: (972) 3 9155000
Direct: (972) 3 9155014
Mobile: (972) 54 905822
Fax: (972) 3 9033129
email: [email-masked]
http://www.lynxpn.com

--__--__--

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:30:13 -0500
From: Matej Cepl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bibtex question

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:46:28AM +0200, David Wende wrote:
> 1) I wish to quote a chapter in a book, such that the output
> looks something like:
>
> Chapter Author. Chapter Title. In: Book Author.  Book Title.
> etc etc.
>
> 2) How do I get bibtext to cite the reference in round braces
> () instead

Use package natbib and read its manual (natbib.dvi). To explain
everything in mail would be too long. And BTW the program is
called BibTeX (no `t' in the end).

	Matej

--
Matej Cepl, [email-masked]
138 Highland Ave. #10, Somerville, Ma 02143, (617) 623-1488

My point was simply that such tax proposals [for Pigovian taxes
compensating for the transaction costs] are the stuff that dreams
are made of. In my youth it was said, that what was too silly to
be said may be sung. In modern economics it may be put into
mathematics.
	-- Ronald Coase
	   Notes on the Problem of Social Cost

--__--__--

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:08:32 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: modes.mf 3.5 available

I have released version 3.5 of modes.mf. You can get it by anonymous ftp from

	ftp://tug.org/tex/modes.mf

and shortly from any CTAN site in /tex-archive/fonts/modes/modes-3.5.mf.
See http://www.ctan.org/ a list of CTAN mirrors and other information

News:

New epson-related modes for the old 9-pin series.
Various email addresses corrected.

As always, thanks to the many contributors, and further additions and
improvements are welcome.  Please send bug reports or suggestions to
[email-masked] (email tex-fonts-request to join).

General information:

modes.mf is a collection of Metafont mode_def's.  It also makes common
definitions for write/white printers, `special' information, and
landscape mode.  It uses up too much memory for the table sizes in the
original mf.web, so you either have to increase the sizes (has been done
in Web2c) or rename the file and remove unneeded modes.  I don't
understand mf.web well enough to understand how to make the modes use
less memory; if some Metafont hacker can tell me, I'd like to hear it.

If you have mode_def's which are not listed below, or corrections to the
existing ones, please send them to me.  Improvements to the exposition,
particularly in how to create a new mode_def, are also welcome.

[email-masked]

mode_def agfafzz =                  % AGFA 400PS (406dpi)
mode_def agfatfzz =                 % AGFA P3400PS (400dpi)
mode_def amiga =                    % Commodore Amiga (100dpi)
mode_def aps =                      % Autologic APS-Micro5 (723dpi)
mode_def apssixhi =                 % Autologic APS-Micro6 (1016dpi)
mode_def atariezf =                 % Atari ST SLM 804 printer (300dpi)
mode_def atarinf =                  % Atari previewer (95dpi)
mode_def atarins =                  % Atari previewer (96dpi)
mode_def atariotf =                 % Atari ST SM 124 screen (101dpi)
mode_def bitgraph =                 % BBN Bitgraph (118dpi)
mode_def bjtenex =                  % Canon BubbleJet 10ex (360dpi)
mode_def bjtzzex =                  % Canon BubbleJet 200ex (360 dpi)
mode_def bjtzzs =                   % Canon BubbleJet 200 (720x360dpi)
mode_def bjtzzl =                   % BubbleJet 200 landscape (360x720 dpi)
mode_def boise =                    % HP 2680A (180dpi)
mode_def canonbjc =                 % Canon BJC-600 (360dpi)
mode_def canonex =                  % LaserWriter Pro 630 (600dpi)
mode_def canonlbp =                 % Symbolics LGP-10 (240dpi)
mode_def cg =                       % Compugraphic 8600 (1301x1569dpi)
mode_def cgl =                      % Compugraphic 8600 landscape (1569x1302dpi)
mode_def cgnszz =                   % Compugraphic 9600 (1200dpi)
mode_def crs =                      % Alphatype CRS (5333dpi)
mode_def cx =                       % Canon CX, SX, LBP-LX (300dpi)
mode_def datadisc =                 % DataDisc (70dpi)
mode_def newdd =                    % DataDisc (70x93dpi)
mode_def declarge =                 % DEC 19-inch, 1280 x 1024 (100dpi)
mode_def decsmall =                 % DEC 17-inch, 1024 x 768 (82dpi)
mode_def deskjet =                  % HP DeskJet 500 (300dpi)
mode_def docutech =                 % Xerox 8790 or 4045 (600dpi)
mode_def dover =                    % Xerox Dover (384dpi)
mode_def eighthre =                 % EightThree (83dpi)
mode_def epscszz =                  % Epson Stylus Color 600 (720 dpi)
mode_def epsdrft =                  % Epson (120x72dpi)
mode_def epsdrftl =                 % Epson (72x120dpi)
mode_def epsfast =                  % Epson fast (60x72dpi)
mode_def epsfastl =                 % Epson fast landscape (72x60dpi)
mode_def epsmed =                   % Epson med MX/FX 9-pin (240x144dpi)
mode_def epsmedl =                  % Epson med MX/FX 9-pin landscape (144x240dpi)
mode_def epson =                    % Epson MX/FX 9-pin (240x216dpi)
mode_def epsonl =                   % Epson MX/FX 9-pin landscape (216x240dpi)
mode_def epsonact =                 % Epson Action Laser 1500 (300dpi)
mode_def epsonlo =                  % Epson (120x216dpi)
mode_def epsonlol =                 % Epson landscape (216x120dpi)
mode_def epsonsq =                  % Epson SQ 870 (360dpi)
mode_def epstypro =                 % Epson Stylus Pro (360dpi)
mode_def epstyplo =                 % Epson Stylus Pro (180dpi)
mode_def epstypmd =                 % Epson Stylus Pro (720x360dpi)
mode_def epswlo =                   % Epson low MX/FX 9-pin (120x144dpi)
mode_def epswlol =                  % Epson low MX/FX 9-pin landscape (144x120dpi)
mode_def esphi =                    % Epson Stylus Pro (720dpi)
mode_def epstylus =                 % Epson Stylus (360dpi)
mode_def fourfour =                 % FourFour (44dpi)
mode_def gtfax =                    % G3fax (204x196dpi)
mode_def gtfaxl =                   % G3fax landscape (196x204dpi)
mode_def gtfaxlo =                  % G3fax (204x98dpi)
mode_def gtfaxlol =                 % G3fax landscape (98x204dpi)
mode_def highfax =                  % G3fax (200dpi)
mode_def hprugged =                 % HP RuggedWriter 480 (180dpi)
mode_def ibm_a =                    % IBM 38xx (240dpi)
mode_def ibmd =                     % IBM 38xx (240dpi)
mode_def ibmega =                   % IBM EGA monitor (96x81dpi)
mode_def ibmegal =                  % IBM EGA monitor landscape (81x96dpi)
mode_def ibmfzon =                  % IBM 4019 (300dpi)
mode_def ibmfztn =                  % IBM 4029-30-39, 4250 (600dpi)
mode_def ibmpp =                    % IBM ProPrinter (240x216dpi)
mode_def ibmppl =                   % IBM ProPrinter (216x240dpi)
mode_def ibmsoff =                  % IBM 6154 display (118dpi)
mode_def sherpa =                   % IBM 6670 (Sherpa) (240dpi)
mode_def ibmteot =                  % IBM 3812 (240dpi)
mode_def ibmtetz =                  % IBM 3820 (240dpi)
mode_def ibmtont =                  % IBM 3193 screen (100dpi)
mode_def ibmtosn =                  % IBM 3179 screen (87x65dpi)
mode_def ibmtosnl =                 % IBM 3179 screen landscape (65x87dpi)
mode_def ibmvga =                   % IBM VGA monitor (110dpi)
mode_def ibx =                      % Chelgraph IBX (9600dpi)
mode_def itoh =                     % CItoh 8510A (160x144dpi)
mode_def itohl =                    % CItoh 8510A landscape (144x160dpi)
mode_def itohtoz =                  % CItoh 310 (240x144dpi)
mode_def itohtozl =                 % CItoh 310 landscape (144x240dpi)
mode_def iw =                       % Apple ImageWriter (144dpi)
mode_def jetiiisi =                 % HP Laser Jet IIISi (300dpi)
mode_def lasf =                     % DEC LA75 (144dpi)
mode_def lexmarkr =                 % Lexmark Optra R 4049 (1200dpi)
mode_def lexmarks =                 % Lexmark Optra S 1250/1650/2450 (1200dpi)
mode_def lexmarku =                 % Lexmark Optra R+ 4049 (600dpi)
mode_def linolo =                   % Linotype Linotronic [13]00 (635dpi)
mode_def linolttz =                 % Linotronic L-300 with RIP-50 (3386dpi)
mode_def linoone =                  % Linotronic [13]00 (1270dpi)
mode_def linotzzh =                 % Linotype Linotronic 300 (2540dpi)
mode_def ljfive =                   % HP LaserJet 5 (600dpi)
mode_def ljfivemp =                 % HP LaserJet 5MP (600 dpi)
mode_def ljfour =                   % HP LaserJet 4 (600dpi)
mode_def ljfzzz =                   % LaserJet 4000N, ProRes mode (1200dpi)
mode_def ljfzzzfr =                 % HP LaserJet 4000 FastRes (600dpi)
mode_def ljlo =                     % HP LaserJet (150dpi)
mode_def lmaster =                  % LaserMaster (1000dpi)
mode_def lnotr =                    % DEC LN03R Scriptprinter (300dpi)
mode_def lnzo =                     % DEC LN01 (300dpi)
mode_def lpstz =                    % DEC lps20 (300dpi)
mode_def lqlores =                  % Epson LQ-500 (180dpi)
mode_def lqmed =                    % Epson LQ-500 (360x180dpi)
mode_def lqmedl =                   % Epson LQ-500 landscape (180x360dpi)
mode_def lview =                    % Sigma L-View monitor (118x109dpi)
mode_def lwpro =                    % Apple LaserWriterPro 810 (800dpi)
mode_def macmag =                   % Mac screens at magstep 1 (86dpi)
mode_def mactrue =                  % Mac screen (72dpi)
mode_def ncd =                      % NCD 19-inch (95dpi)
mode_def nec =                      % NEC (180dpi)
mode_def nechi =                    % NEC-P6 (360dpi)
mode_def neclm =                    % NEC PC-PR406LM (320dpi)
mode_def nectzo =                   % NEC PC-PR201 series (160dpi)
mode_def nexthi =                   % NeXT Newgen (400dpi)
mode_def nextscrn =                 % NeXT monitor (100dpi)
mode_def nineone =                  % NineOne (91x91) (91dpi)
mode_def nullmode =                 % TFM files only (101dpi)
mode_def onetz =                    % OneTwoZero (120/120) (120dpi)
mode_def ocessfz =                  % OCE 6750-PS (508dpi)
mode_def okidata =                  % Okidata (240x288dpi)
mode_def okidatal =                 % Okidata landscape (288x240dpi)
mode_def okifte =                   % Okidata 410e in 600DPI mode (600dpi)
mode_def pcscreen =                 % also, e.g., high-resolution Suns (118dpi)
mode_def pcprevw =                  % PC screen preview (118dpi)
mode_def phaser =                   % Tektronix Phaser PXi (300dpi)
mode_def phaserfs =                 % Tektronix Phaser 560 (1200dpi)
mode_def phasertf =                 % Tektronix Phaser 350 (600x300dpi)
mode_def pixpt =                    % one pixel per point (72.27dpi)
mode_def prntware =                 % Printware 720IQ (1200dpi)
mode_def qms =                      % QMS (Xerox engine) (300dpi)
mode_def qmsostf =                  % QMS 1725 (600dpi)
mode_def qmsoszz =                  % QMS 1700 (600dpi)
mode_def qmstftf =                  % QMS 2425 (1200dpi)
mode_def ricoh =                    % e.g., TI Omnilaser (300dpi)
mode_def ricoha =                   % e.g., IBM 4216 (300dpi)
mode_def ricohlp =                  % e.g., DEC LN03 (300dpi)
mode_def ricohsp =                  % Ricoh sp10ps/lp7200-ux (600dpi)
mode_def sparcptr =                 % Sun SPARCprinter (400dpi)
mode_def starnlt =                  % Star NL-10 (240x216dpi)
mode_def starnltl =                 % Star NL-10 landscape (216x240dpi)
mode_def stylewri =                 % Apple StyleWriter (360dpi)
mode_def sun =                      % Sun and BBN Bitgraph (85dpi)
mode_def supre =                    % Ultre*setter (2400dpi)
mode_def toshiba =                  % Toshiba 13XX, EpsonLQ (180dpi)
mode_def ultre =                    % Ultre*setter (1200dpi)
mode_def vs =                       % VAXstation monitor (78dpi)
mode_def vtftzz =                   % Varityper 4200 B-P (1800dpi)
mode_def vtftzzhi =                 % Varityper 4300P (2400dpi)
mode_def vtftzzlo =                 % Varityper 4300P (1200dpi)
mode_def vtfzszw =                  % Varitype 5060W, APS 6 (600dpi)
mode_def vtszz =                    % Varityper Laser 600 (600dpi)
mode_def xrxesnz =                  % Xerox 8790 or 4045 (300dpi)
mode_def xrxfzfz =                  % Xerox 4050/4075/4090/4700 (300dpi)
mode_def xrxnszz =                  % Xerox 9700 (300dpi)
mode_def xrxtszz =                  % Xerox 3700 (300dpi)

--__--__--

About TeXhax...

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1466 NW Front Avenue,
Suite 3141, Portland, OR 97209-2820 USA  (phone: 1 503 223 9994,
fax: 1 503 223 3960).

End of TeXhax Digest